Longliner fishing Grange Tyre Reef

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's high time that PIRSA put a stop to this yearly bloodbath. Make the Snapper fishery handline only and ban longlines. I have hit unmarked lines at the Barges off O'Sullies as well as another reason

Great topics lads :)Awesome to see everyone being civil and no one attacking each other in 6 pages on a sensitive topic.Hopefully our fishery will be managed as best as it can be so we can continue to

sounds like the pros are hitting it hard in the north again saw them last weekend aswell out there .have the same thinkings going out at dark coming back dark hopefully dont hit there lines. has anyone else noticed the last few weeks a pro crabber putting huge amounts of crab pots out starting at about 2km past the blackpole all the way thru to outer harbour in lines?? i have as i hit one on the way back in and wrapped it around the prop :c :c :c :c wasnt a happy camper at all thats one less pot he wont get back

Thats pretty normal BigTimeThe guy sets his pots out in a grid pattern that most boaties consider a major hazard in that area.Its been dicussed here often, but while he's making dollars out there its not going to change :S

Take care when fishing the Grange Tyre Reef as the Pros are starting to set their longlines there :angry:My mate was fishing there yesterday and couldn't believe it

I cant see that staying there for too long :huh: With the number of boats arriving and leaving that ground atm, someones going to end up snagging and cutting it off pretty soon :huh: Hopefully the sooner the better too :dry: :whistle:

I thought the tyre reefs were put down as "recreational" fishing grounds......am I mistaken?

Yeah.that's interesting Ranger, because there IS a 'fish haven' marked on the charts right next to the reef. :huh: I've often thought that chart is out, cause it would make sense that little rectangle 'fish haven' ought to be around the reef. @ FISHIE, my old man and his mate did VERY VERY well around the tyres in October 2011. GUESS who rocked up on day two of that snapper blitz ????? The pros ensured it was a Massacre :( not much of them first schools would've made it much further north I don't reckon. Oh, but now the pros are have returned to get em on their way back out :clap::clap: great news for the fish :(

It's high time that PIRSA put a stop to this yearly bloodbath. Make the Snapper fishery handline only and ban longlines. I have hit unmarked lines at the Barges off O'Sullies as well as another reasonably well known drop and been abused by a Pro working a known southern drop. We have hooked the lines up when we are fishing at night. Its high time this practice was stopped!

Grego, I honestly have no idea on restrictions placed on the pro sector, which is why I made mention that I thought the tyre reefs were only for recreational use.By my knowledge, GTR is around 15k's from North Haven, and I would "estimate" about 8k's from shore.To me that doesn't seem close to metro beaches, but like you I'd be interested to hear more from anyone in the know, as to how close longlines, nets or pro operations can come, and even if they are entitled to fish the artificial reefs at all!

Grego' date=' I honestly have no idea on restrictions placed on the pro sector, which is why I made mention that I thought the tyre reefs were only for recreational use.By my knowledge, GTR is around 15k's from North Haven, and I would "estimate" about 8k's from shore.To me that doesn't seem close to metro beaches, but like you I'd be interested to hear more from anyone in the know, as to how close longlines, nets or pro operations can come, and even if they are entitled to fish the artificial reefs at all![/quote']GTR is in 60 feet of water about 5-6km's out from memory?Pro's can fish anywhere outside of 3 nautical miles. That is what the trawlers at port adelaide told me. Longliners? They may not be included in this same regulation?regardsTB

the one at ards hav a flashing light on then so u cant hit it it only at the start off there line the rest off the line is at the bottom lol............. what r the pro doing down this far hav they fish out ards mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

So it would be a real shame if you "accidentally" got this section caught up in your prop & had to cut it off?? :whistle: :laugh: Mongrels are cleaning out every single drop in the gulf, feel sorry for the Snapper & the lack of next season. :angry:

I didnt think there was enough fish off adelaide metro for the pros to bother about.Hopefully the white paper will solve the problem of commercial over fishing of snapper.

In contrast the constant availability of up to date information for the metro area is provided to the pro sector on here and other forums.A work mate of mine is a handline pro for gulf st vincent and utilises these forums from time to time to increase his chances of snapper.TB

Long liners piss me off so much. One day out at Edithburgh we had a pro follow us out to try and pick up our spots as he didn't know where to go (we don't fish the shoals like everyone else) and we didn't even know he was on our tail till a local informed us. Luckily we were just heading out collecting a few squid for bait so no luck on his part :P

Afternoon all, @ Nanman, Who said we have a problem with commercial over-fishing of Snapper? I`ve been fishin` for over 50 years,my old man was a pro hook fisherman,& I had 8 years doing it myself, & I just don`t see what all the hoo-ha about over fishing for snapper is based on. Somebody enlighten me please. Is this all just emotional beat-up or what? I did over a 100km out in the gulf on Friday & we saw mega thousands of under size pinkies on at least 20 drops, scattered from the outer culverts to Goannas. The Goannas area has `em in such plague proportions that it is virtually unfishable up there in daylight hours. Goannas was my old mans & my "home patch" & in 50 years of fishin there I`ve never ever seen so many u/size pinkies. On Friday we tried 6 drops at Goannas & the pinkies were hittin` the bait before it even hit the bottom & no berley was used. There are absolutely acres of `em up there & has been for at least 3 years. We also tried around the Silt area on the way back & it too was rotten with `em. (1 drop I`ve never seen `em on ever was also swamped with `em. The Gawler hard bottom areas & rock outcrops are also covered in `em. So IMO based on 50 years experience the snapper fishery has never looked healthier, if the pro`s are wiping out all the breeding stock thru overfishing / longlining as ppl are saying then what are they basing it on. I HAVE NEVER SEEN SO MANY OF THE LITTLE SODS,THEY`RE IN PLAGUE PROPORTIONS. So how on one hand have we got massive no`s of juveniles if the breeders are being slaughtered / overfished at unsustainable levels. IMO it`s the kgw fishery that`s in serious strife, they can`t get a look in whilst these juvi snapps inhabit their traditional migration areas, & the snapps are ravenous,they are never not hungry & the more timid kgw`s are being forced out. Might as well not try to fish anywhere where there is rock/hard bottom in this gulf at present coz all you`re goin` to catch is juvi snapps in the 6" to 8" range. Cheers.

Jaffa...Snapper of well over legal size is the problem. It is the short sharp extraction of large snapper post the November ban that is the problem. It happens at other times as well but mainly after November. Unlike some other species snapper breed well at medium to small sizes and hence the reason why pinkies are still prevalent.I am not in favor of extending the ban as it just shifts the time of the problem for mature snapper IMO.Daily limits and overall TAC's in combination would prevent both the short sharp extraction of large snapper and also mitigate annual extraction excesses.RegardsTB

Jaffa, it's only in the past two years that the Gulf St Vincent snapper stocks have dwindled.. prior to that, they were building. Maybe it will take another year or so to tell how many juvenile snapper have spawned in the past couple of years and then base it on a comparison of todays juvenile stocks

@ Tacklebags, see this is what I don`t get,if we have "annual extraction excesses" then why do now have plague no`s of juveniles, the likes of which I`ve never seen in 50 years. And we`ve had this problem for at least the last 5 years from my own fishin` experiences & it seems to be getting more of a problem as time goes by. I fish certain specific spots that I`ve been going to for a very long time, I keep meticulous records of what I catch & where,what time of year etc & I still have my old mans diaries providing history that is very tough to dispute & each year the no`s of juvi snapps on each of these spots seems to get bigger. One spot that I`ve managed to keep secret since I was a boy had at least 50 metre area around the structure covered in snapps. The damn bottom lock on the sounder says we`re in less than 10 ft of water, when I know we`re in at least 35 ft. Hell we even had `em coming up to take the bait dangled 3m under the boat. When I talk to Fisheries they confirm my own experiences, they say there is no problem with the snapper fishery, it has recovered remarkably well since bag limits were cut,closed season was introduced & pro licences have been reduced. Snapper from what I can gather from research papers breed for several months & not necessarily the same months each year (& not just in November) & the closed season was introduced in one of those months coz it`s the easiest option to police & it reduces catch effort both amateur & commercial by a twelfth. We used to catch a lot of kgw at Goannas at various times of the year, including summertime, now the place is a waste of time,effort & fuel in daylight hours coz the pinkies are a bigger problem than toadies & trumpeters, reckon we caught 200 odd between us from 20 -25 drops on Friday. Cheers.

Jaffa what youve got to understand is that good numbers of juvenile fish although it is fantastic for the future fishery, it only indicates a good year class or two. 1999 and 2001 was both fantastic year classes and the fish of these year classes are around 8kg approximately at the moment. These fish have sustained the commercial fishery for many years, but its these fish that were hit hard and continue to be hit hard. If we continue to let the pros keep wiping out these year classes that are 10plus years old thats when the fishery can get into trouble.Its going to be interesting to find out just which either single year or maybe two years the current brace of ruggers was born in but this will take some time as fisheries are normally about 3years behind in their data. Alot of which comes from Professional anglers and Charter boat operations daily data records that need to be provided to PIRSA under charter operators requirements.I will provide a link tommorow that will show what years where strong year classes in years gone by and this may help to show you just how important large mature fish are to keep the biomass strong.Last year saw a record number of fish taken from Gulf St Vincent and I believe the pros moved to this gulf after Spencers gulf was hit hard for the previous 3 years.Brett

Hey Fishie' date=' IMO it`s been done for the same reasons as the sharking ban, media hype, public beat-up, bowing to pressure in order to be seen to be doing something. Cheers.[/quote']Don't think it has anything to do with any of those reasons beside common sense. Can't see how taking tonnes of Snapper on a daily basis prior too & immediately after the ban is sustainable & doing anything at all to contribute in a positive manner towards the fishery. :huh: Aware of one well known charter who witnesses on regular basis the destruction these blokes are doing to the breeding fish. No matter how many babys are around is no good to us if you can't head out a pull a couple of legal fish for the table, wonder how many 10+ kg fish have been pulled this season by members?When some of the Pro's are calling out for a TAC, the markets are being flooded, the upper gulf getting obliterated for numerous years in a row & the amount of spawning fish entering the gulf on a constant decline its telling me something & it ain't positive! ;)

Well if the no. of breeding fish entering the gulf is in constant decline how is it that for the previous 3-5 years all I`m seeing is increasing no`s of juvenile fish. Did they suddenly become more efficient breeders? Sure some areas have not fished as well at times but up in the top end of the gulf the juveniles are spreading like plague to areas they`ve never been on before & the no`s on known holding areas are increasing, so is something else the problem here. Are migratory routes changing due to other pressures maybe, this would explain not as many fish turning up in certain areas. I just don`t see any signs of decline where I`m looking. It`s just too easy to bash the pro`s. I don`t need Fisheries to tell me if it`s a good year for breeding or not, it`s something I know from 50 years of fishing predominantly in the one area, my catch records & my old man`s & what I see with my own eyes when I`m up there. Cheers

Hey AFF, I don`t think the kgw`s get a say in anything that happens in the paddock coz they`re so timid/non aggressive. Even if there`s kgw`s there we`re not seeing `em when we drop the camera & they`ve got no chance of beating the pinkies to the bait, juvi snapps have to be just about the most aggressive suckers out there. Grounds that we used to catch whiting & snapps on 50 years ago are now just holding areas for massive numbers of punk pinkies. The kgw`s are just muscled aside. If the snapps want in I think they just take over the spot & then the kgw`s are forced to go elsewhere. Having said that if you look at some of my past posts in sounder pic`s we did see some massive kgw schools roughly a year back but since then the snapps have taken over everywhere that I fish from Goannas to West Beach. Anywhere there is a rock or a bit of hard bottom the pinkies are there in huge numbers. Cheers.

[quote name="afishyfish" post=199111Maybe it's simply that the KG'sm numbers are down' date=' allowing a more than usual number of Juvenile Snapper to invade their groundsThese "excess" fish might normally succumb to natures other poulation controllers, such as starvation/ predation etc :huh:[/quote] I think it is the other way around AFF... the piranha's are denuding the bottom everywhere of feed that was otherwise there for KGW and the KGW have been keeping on moving instead of stopping and feeding over their normal haunts.. Last year a lot of KG schools were moving along the Metro coast in as much as 2 metres of water