Longliner fishing Grange Tyre Reef

Jaffa....to be honest there are bioregional changes that affect where' date=' when and how many fish are present. These fluctuate and are hard for anyone to understand or comprehend.On the flip side....the November ban allows for a large percentage of snapper to breed prior to being hammered where they have congregated during December. This has contributed to an increase in juvenile snapper and is a typical scientific responce to temporary closures of other fish species as well.Many fish species have the ability to reproduce rapidly especially when the large predatory fish are suddenly removed from the food chain. Hence the ban has had a positive effect on juvenile snapper populations but increased the easy extraction of large snapper while they are congregated post ban. The last two years have seen huge increases in snapper extraction during the first two weeks of December and this needs to be spread out evenly over 365 days a year instead. ask anyone who fishes Tapleys Shoal over the last few years about the decreased numbers of big snapper in the last two summers.[/quote']Hey TB do you think there could be increased numbers of reccies fishing Tapley Shoals as I remember long ago not that many people knew about it but these days anyone who is knew to Snapper fishing suddenly hears of Tapley Shoals. I think this could be part of the problem with the Shoals as well as some really good charter operators hitting it on a nearly daily basis and taking their quota of big fish.Ryan...not mentioning any names...LOL
  • Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

It's high time that PIRSA put a stop to this yearly bloodbath. Make the Snapper fishery handline only and ban longlines. I have hit unmarked lines at the Barges off O'Sullies as well as another reason

Great topics lads :)Awesome to see everyone being civil and no one attacking each other in 6 pages on a sensitive topic.Hopefully our fishery will be managed as best as it can be so we can continue to

Tapley's was fished alot years ago as well but the area has seen an increase of fishers from o' sullies ramp heading over in the last few years as well.The effect on the large snapper has still been minimal in comparison to the longliners.Locals on Yorke's tell me that the longliners hammered the area and removed tonnes of snapper that were sitting there last October. Snapper tend to be more prevelent at tapleys at the start and end of the migration period due to it's proximity at the bottom of the gulf but nothing like this season just gone where tens of tonnes were constantly being longlined for 10 days straight.The area was longlined last december until it wasn't profitable for the pro's and that's a fact.TB

jaffa, I think my sentiments surrounding snapper stocks are backed up by SARFAC here.....

Many years ago Gulf St Vincent had a healthy snapper stock. Then commercial overexploitation eventually decimated that stock. In the last few years, good recruitment into thefishery - probably as a result of spawning closures - enabled a fragile recovery of the stock. Butintensive commercial long lining is once again threatening the recovering stock, Ultimately,when the fish have again been wiped out, the commercials will move on to other areas or otherspecies and the focal commercial fishers, local recreational fishers and visitors will be left withthe dregs - as happened in the past.

According to the Background Paper for Management Options for Snapper in South Australia,the total harvest of snapper from all sectors is approximately 1, 095.6 tonnes. The commercialharvest being 918 tonnes (83.8%) with the recreational catch, including Charter Boat Fisherycatches being 177.6 tonnes (16.20/0).

RegardsTB

Tapley's was fished alot years ago as well but the area has seen an increase of fishers from o' sullies ramp heading over in the last few years as well.The effect on the large snapper has still been minimal in comparison to the longliners.Locals on Yorke's tell me that the longliners hammered the area and removed tonnes of snapper that were sitting there last October. Snapper tend to be more prevelent at tapleys at the start and end of the migration period due to it's proximity at the bottom of the gulf but nothing like this season just gone where tens of tonnes were constantly being longlined for 10 days straight.The area was longlined last december until it wasn't profitable for the pro's and that's a fact.TB

Got to agree that there are more big boats leaving Osullies, picking there days and fishing the Shoals. Sad to hear that the Pros hammered it! :(
Got to agree that there are more big boats leaving Osullies' date=' picking there days and fishing the Shoals. Sad to hear that the Pros hammered it! :([/quote']Yep...increased urban sprawl = high population growth = increased demand on local resources.TB

I have to agree with that... urban sprawl now extends as far as Yankalilla/normanville. Boaties are now flogging the coastline from Cape Jervis to O'Sullies. It doesn't give our local migrating fish like the king george whiting a chance to make the distance to their breeding grounds as they get picked off along the entire coastlineMaybe this is why we've seen a major decline in numbers along the coast... THIS IS ANOTHER ISSUE THAT PIRSA NEED TO ADDRESS!

I have to agree with that... urban sprawl now extends as far as Yankalilla/normanville. Boaties are now flogging the coastline from Cape Jervis to O'Sullies. It doesn't give our local migrating fish like the king george whiting a chance to make the distance to their breeding grounds as they get picked off along the entire coastlineMaybe this is why we've seen a major decline in numbers along the coast... THIS IS ANOTHER ISSUE THAT PIRSA NEED TO ADDRESS!

Only two ways that I can see.1 Reduce poulation spread and numbers2 Cut bag limits furtherI think I know what option would be taken :pinch:

AFF, if a further reduction in the kgw bag limit is required then we seriously need to support it as long as a quota was implemented towards the Pros. You have to remember our local snapper stocks only increased to a healthy position up to two years ago by us reccos having a bag limit reduction but then unfortunately this made way for a "killing spree" by some Pro fishos

What we must remember in all this is that there are many handline pros that would be sustainable if the longliners were not taking advantage.Just as the urban sprawl, increased population and hence wider distribution of recreationally fished grounds affects there smaller boat handline pro's as well. The forms of professional fishing that affect marine scalefish are numerous. It is my personal opinion that many forms of professional and recreational fishing could continue to co exist in not just a sustainable manner but a growing manner. However, why longlining continues in the gulfs of south Australia this sustainability will never be certain.TB

It is my personal opinion that many forms of professional and recreational fishing could continue to co exist in not just a sustainable manner but a growing manner. However' date=' why longlining continues in the gulfs of south Australia this sustainability will never be certain.TB[/quote']Some co-operation, meaningful discussion and agreement between Recs and Pros to work together would be great, but can any1 see that happening ?
The way snap decisions are being made lately.....who knows !Surely the longliners are going to be faced with extinctions within a matter of years' date=' time to get the handlines out boys ![/quote']It's inevitable.... also good to see that PIRSA are starting to show an interest in the Recco side of it all as well... maybe the tide is turning and the dollar value of recreational fishing will outway the value of commercial fishing in regards to tourist, petrol, bait, tackle, accomodation, takeaway shop etc etc revenue which would no doubt fill more government coffers than a limited amount of commercial fishos interests

id be surprised if weather dependent recreational anglers subject to a bag limit of 12 per person would have too much of an effect on migrating whiting between cape jervis and adelaide. That length of coastline must contain hundreds of thousands if not millions of whiting.

id be surprised if weather dependent recreational anglers subject to a bag limit of 12 per person would have too much of an effect on migrating whiting between cape jervis and adelaide. That length of coastline must contain hundreds of thousands if not millions of whiting.

Well said NM....it is a fact though that 70% of all kelp beds in this region are gone due to bottom up effects of pollution. As well as other major seagrasses etc that maintain biodiversity. This is where some reccies fail to see their potencial impact despite the fact it isn't there fault....it's everyones!TB

Great topics lads :)Awesome to see everyone being civil and no one attacking each other in 6 pages on a sensitive topic.Hopefully our fishery will be managed as best as it can be so we can continue to enjoy our sport and gather a feed for years to come

That's what I like about this site.... you are allowed to voice your opinion knowing that the powers that be (namely PIRSA) will show an interest in our anecdotal evidence and actively take on board our comments.Nanman, you'd be surprised at the amount of fishos that launch from wirrina and fish between Jervis and Aldinga. A lot of retirees have decamped from Adelaide and moved southwards.. the south coast gets hammered everyday...the old days of everyone working 5 days a week is long goneI have retiree fisho mates that live at Carrickalinga and Normanville...I'm sure they'll have a chuckle at the "That length of coastline must contain hundreds of thousands if not millions of whiting. " comment

Just a real shame , that the government can't buy out the Pros, they have done this interstate, and the fish stocks have gone nuts...Introductions of Fishing Licences, etc, have helped recoup the governments spending, northern NSW, southern QLD have had esteries rebound back to life one the pro fishermen were bought out, no nets, pots !!I wonder how long it will take for SA Gov, to take a leaf out of their counterparts in the other states.If this can not be done, put a ban on distances from shorelines.... 10 / 20 Klms etc.. and ENFORCE IT.

I have retiree fisho mates that live at Carrickalinga and Normanville...I'm sure they'll have a chuckle at the "That length of coastline must contain hundreds of thousands if not millions of whiting.

I fish down that way and I find the KGW just as hard to catch there as anywhere else! Having said that, they usually are much bigger than metro fish.

"I have retiree fisho mates that live at Carrickalinga and Normanville...I'm sure they'll have a chuckle at the "That length of coastline must contain hundreds of thousands if not millions of whiting. " comment "I certainly hear what you're saying Fishie but its a big ocean out there.I've seen schools of KG Whiting in the shallows near the coffin bay jetty that would number in the thousands of fish and yet the school in area size is only 4 metres long by 3 metres wide. Thats a lot of fish in such a tiny area.Also plenty of people fish in Coffin Bay without catching any whiting and yet the system is literally teeming with whiting......so just because they can't catch any certainly doesn't mean they are not there in large numbers.

Just a real shame ' date=' that the government can't buy out the Pros, they have done this interstate, and the fish stocks have gone nuts...Introductions of Fishing Licences, etc, have helped recoup the governments spending, northern NSW, southern QLD have had esteries rebound back to life one the pro fishermen were bought out, no nets, pots !!I wonder how long it will take for SA Gov, to take a leaf out of their counterparts in the other states.If this can not be done, put a ban on distances from shorelines.... 10 / 20 Klms etc.. and ENFORCE IT.[/quote']Thats the key. PIRSA knows there is excess effort as it was in black and white in the Snapper Options Paper. Find the cash by what ever means for a buyout of latent and excess effort and maybe then stocks will be sustainable under the control of a STACC.
Just a real shame ' date=' that the government can't buy out the Pros' date=' they have done this interstate, and the fish stocks have gone nuts...Introductions of Fishing Licences, etc, have helped recoup the governments spending, northern NSW, southern QLD have had esteries rebound back to life one the pro fishermen were bought out, no nets, pots !!I wonder how long it will take for SA Gov, to take a leaf out of their counterparts in the other states.If this can not be done, put a ban on distances from shorelines.... 10 / 20 Klms etc.. and ENFORCE IT.[/quote'']Thats the key. PIRSA knows there is excess effort as it was in black and white in the Snapper Options Paper. Find the cash by what ever means for a buyout of latent and excess effort and maybe then stocks will be sustainable under the control of a STACC.
I guess PIRSA werent able to tease us with a PRO license buy out on the Snapper Options Paper as we all would of been ticking that box immediately forcing the government to some how come up with the cash.WHAT is an approximate figure that would be needed to buy out a considerable number of the Pros. Is 20Million a fair figure?
Just a real shame ' date=' that the government can't buy out the Pros' date=' they have done this interstate, and the fish stocks have gone nuts...Introductions of Fishing Licences, etc, have helped recoup the governments spending, northern NSW, southern QLD have had esteries rebound back to life one the pro fishermen were bought out, no nets, pots !!I wonder how long it will take for SA Gov, to take a leaf out of their counterparts in the other states.If this can not be done, put a ban on distances from shorelines.... 10 / 20 Klms etc.. and ENFORCE IT.[/quote'']Thats the key. PIRSA knows there is excess effort as it was in black and white in the Snapper Options Paper. Find the cash by what ever means for a buyout of latent and excess effort and maybe then stocks will be sustainable under the control of a STACC.
I guess PIRSA werent able to tease us with a PRO license buy out on the Snapper Options Paper as we all would of been ticking that box immediately forcing the government to some how come up with the cash.WHAT is an approximate figure that would be needed to buy out a considerable number of the Pros. Is 20Million a fair figure?
How many fisho's in Adelaide / S.A $20 Million .... $20 per license/ yr x 500 K fishers ? = 2 years, paid off ....or even less $ and more years, then scrap the license....... how hard MR Government .....that would pay that debt of quicker than they pay their debts off now !!!!Sustainment, Tourism, Small Business all WIN WIN !!!!!!!
How many fisho's in Adelaide / S.A $20 Million .... $20 per license/ yr x 500 K fishers ? = 2 years, paid off ....or even less $ and more years, then scrap the license....... how hard MR Government .....that would pay that debt of quicker than they pay their debts off now !!!!Sustainment, Tourism, Small Business all WIN WIN !!!!!!!
How true...interstate RFL's are a big reason for the buyout of pro's as well. Hence the SA pro sectors views on stopping an RFL here in SA getting off the ground. At the end of the day...we need a commercial sector to supply markets at some level and it is unfair for us to promote banning stakeholders completely.Banning the destructive practices that have equipment capable of devastating stocks in a matter of days/weeks is perfectly legitimate.PIRSA have two options if reccies get their act together IMO.....ceasation of these practices or secondly really tough reforms to control it.TB
Trihull Fisher Wrote:

.... $20 per license/ yr x 500 K fishers ? = 2 years, paid off .... or even less $ and more years, then scrap the license....... how hard MR Government ..... that would pay that debt of quicker than they pay their debts off now !!!! Sustainment, Tourism, Small Business all WIN WIN !!!!!!!

Too Simple THF. Our government does not think on simple terms.
Trihull Fisher Wrote:
.... $20 per license/ yr x 500 K fishers ? = 2 years' date=' paid off .... or even less $ and more years, then scrap the license....... how hard MR Government ..... that would pay that debt of quicker than they pay their debts off now !!!! Sustainment, Tourism, Small Business all WIN WIN !!!!!!! [/quote']Too Simple THF. Our government does not think on simple terms.
Not while they're getting the tax $ no :whistle:
Trihull Fisher Wrote:
.... $20 per license/ yr x 500 K fishers ? = 2 years' date=' paid off .... or even less $ and more years' date=' then scrap the license....... how hard MR Government ..... that would pay that debt of quicker than they pay their debts off now !!!! Sustainment, Tourism, Small Business all WIN WIN !!!!!!! [/quote'']Too Simple THF. Our government does not think on simple terms.
Not while they're getting the tax $ no :whistle:
Or paying 2 million dollars a day in interest due to their debts. Not very bright the people who vote Labor in SA.TB
That is honestly how I look at it. My vote doesn't count' date=' not enough people care and look into why they are voting for a party.I vote so I won't get fined. I still vote for what I believe to be the best party but I am fully aware there is almost no point.Sad..[/quote']I'm sure you wouldnt be the only one there SS .It would be an interesting to have a "hands up " on this to see how many feel the same.I know I do.

Anyone fished GTR since it was longlined? Success?

Any new tide can bring success talbo....the pro's don't always have their lines in at the right times either.A spot could get hammered for two weeks. Then the following tide after the pro's have gone can still yield a good reccie session. Such a trend would rarely be sustainable long term though.TB