How long do you keep squid?

I am very careful with squid. I would give it a bloody good sniff, lol that stuff stinks up real quick if it's not right ;)I use a lot of Californian squid when fishing. (the little ones in the box :) ). They are killer bait... But faaaaar out I have never smelt anything in my life as bad as that stuff when it goes bad. I went through.a box and a half on the schoolies about a month back. It was a double 35 degree week end and I left half a box in my little bait tank!!! In the boat!!!! Under the carport!!! Smelt.a funk having a smoke on Sunday night and when I ventured under the.carport I.got real scared, openness the bait tub...... :c My god that stuff goes wrong.... I call it for 100,000 x dog poo strength! Anyway... Reckon yours should be fine :P. But I will never go near calamari again :laugh: :laugh:

Had a friend that was up in Darwin when cyclone tracy hit and he stayed behind for the cleanup. His job was in a gang that went around and cleaned out everyones fridges and freezers (a job that took months).You can imagine the stench of a freezer full of seafood sitting in the tropical sun, he reckons he has never touched seafood to this day as he dry reaches whenever he smells it. Cant blame him really as it would have been big time on the nose !!

As a rule of thumb.. in the freezer 3 months ( although I now vacuum seal so will probabaly extend to 6 months)In the fridge I wouldn't push past 3 days for most if filleted but if they still had their guts in...bait !You find most seafood get a nice little "slime" like when you leave ham for a bit too long.

I was wondering about the californian squid, everyone says fresh is best, what do you target mainly

I am very careful with squid. I would give it a bloody good sniff' date=' lol that stuff stinks up real quick if it's not right ;)I use a lot of Californian squid when fishing. (the little ones in the box :) ). They are killer bait... But faaaaar out I have never smelt anything in my life as bad as that stuff when it goes bad. I went through.a box and a half on the schoolies about a month back. It was a double 35 degree week end and I left half a box in my little bait tank!!! In the boat!!!! Under the carport!!! Smelt.a funk having a smoke on Sunday night and when I ventured under the.carport I.got real scared, openness the bait tub...... :c My god that stuff goes wrong.... I call it for 100,000 x dog poo strength! Anyway... Reckon yours should be fine :P. But I will never go near calamari again :laugh: :laugh:[/quote']
I was wondering about the californian squid' date=' everyone says fresh is best, what do you target mainly[/quote']Yeah for mulloway exclusively. Someone put me on to em this summer, I reckon they should be great for snapper, but just haven't had the chance to get outside outerharbour and try.