Live bait tank setup

With summer slowly going time to set up tanks for live baits,hot soup bottles and the stay up all night waiting for the screaming reel to go and hopfully get some reward for the hard effort's you need to put in,this year going to hit them harder than normal as our daughter is older and happy to sleep on my side of the bed when i'm out doing over nighters hopfully a good run of mullies this year,a couple of pictures of tank all finished ready for live bait's.

LiveBaitTank2.JPG

LiveBaitTank5.JPG

Nice tank mate. Is it a setup where fresh sea water is pumped in from one side and overflows over the other side?Currently i just throw a floating fish tub over the side and tie it to the side of the boat. Works well but i think its time i had a more professional setup like yours.

082.jpg084.jpg081.jpg080.jpghi PRM,nice livie tank mate,looks like it will work a treat.for all you guys contemplating setting one up in your tub i will put up some pics of mine which was made from a 100 litre igloo esky which i have had for years,this justified me customising and drilling holes in it :laugh::laugh: .i should mention that i also remove this for landbased excursions in the forby aswell,also doubles as a kill tank in the boat when the need arises,hope this helps anyone who wants to have a crack at it.basically setup with 2 drains which go outboard and a feed hose which has a tap which i can shut when i turn off the pump when i want to maintain a level.mine is not setup for on the move but thats the way i wanted to set it up.i do have a suction mounted aerator that i run if moving for an extended time,i just fill to the brim with fresh stuff and turn on the aerator and pump is turned off,tap is shut,so is lid so water doesn't splash all over the place,cheers

Hi trihull fisher,found the tank years ago at a tackle shop down south just called in on our way to victor for a drive,found it in the back of tackle shop coverd in fishing clothing and wet suit's and said to wife i could use that,it's a portable tank i didn't want a built in live bait tank as it's always in the way,out for a day trip chasing whiting and crabs dont need it,when chasing mullies put it in fill with water and a heap of salmon trout and big trumpters and your set for a night,i marked and had to drill water inlet and out let and fit skin fittings and pumps but it's not that hard just being white it's a pain when you have had squid in it over night as they get up set when your chasing them around in the tank.

Thanks for the kind comments urhookedfish,The rod storage is great for exactly what you have said,also the standard stainless steel rocket launchers are not really friendly on graphite spinning outfits,stops them moving around as much.i should mention another important thing to have is sufficient fall on your drains,this keeps the water flowing enabling the pump to be left on for extended periods.relationship with waterline heights and water level in livebait tank is important so measure carefully and double check before drilling holes in boat or esky.another way to get some more height to help fall is to source some of that water proof foam and cut to size for tank to sit on,hope this helps,cheers

Hi Nanman my cousin just throws a round cloths basket with a motor bike tube around it and lets it float out the back when he moves just dumps live bait in to a crabbing tub and heads of.just about anything that holds water will do.

• 11 months later...