What do you look for when buying a lure for the first time?

Good topic SSI generally buy something that simply "looks" that it might be a fish-catching device, whether it's the shape, colour, pattern or supposed technological superiority...(sometimes a recommendation in a fishing mag. may do it for me).Mind you, I'm probably one of those poor suckers that is a prime example of "lures catching more fishermen than fish"!Having said that, a "gut feeling" with lure choice has often paid off..Cheersaf :unsure:

Depends on species and water colour..... clear water more clear natural colours, dirty water brighter colours and a lure with a bit of noise....I have found a few like an orange belly, keep that in mind when choosing ;) my first lures bought where sx40's 307 and 309 great lures to have in ya lure box ;)Sambo

I hunt down something of good quality that's realistic looking and looks like it won't fall apart on me. I do a reasonable amount of research on the net before i buy anything. Price comes in to it to a degree as I won't spend over $25 on a lure because i lose too many :)Does brand name come into the equation for you lads at all? Would you go for something you recognised over a new brand?

I don't "lure fish" as such............shiny 100gm at salmon during winter at bottom of Yorkes..........but,do lures catch "more fisherman than fish?" :dry: Not a criticism,just an honest question........whether it be hardbodies or "squidgee's".To me,shiny is shiny as to a sambo..........obviously different plastics for bream,snapper and mullies.....but who's a "tackle tart"........lol :laugh:

I mainly buy fish immitation lures, and normally I try to buy patterns that match the species of fish or look of the fish that the target species eats.With trout I try and get both natural patterns and some patterns that have a bit of a flash to them so if a fish gets a glimpse at long range it will want to come close to investigate.I also look for one that has a tight action for trout. I dont have many that have a slow wobble although Im sure there are many on the market that work. :d/:d/:d/ Im about to start buying mulloway lures and I will be buying lures such as the waxwing as it has a crazy action and lifelike paint job and also Duo lures as the finishes are immaculate and have a lot of flash/gleem in the water that should attract them.

Fair call,and cheers for the reply ;) ..........I reckon I'm a bit toooooooo impatient for that........out goes the "shiny',crank like Hell............."hello sambo" B) .............a few for bait,one fresh to eat (sashimi,wasabi and soy.....or curried with rice),a couple to smoke,the rest swim away ;)

My approach to lures goes thusly:Me: "Hello Mr Tackle Man' date=' please direct me to your finest lures."Mr Tackle Man: "Sure thing they're right over..."Me: "SHINY!" :woohoo:[/quote'] :clap::clap: LOLAnything on special, you can always repaint, add new skirts etc...wait til the hype boils down, then go get the chinese copies...... :woohoo:

Good topic as i have never worried about lure fishing before, but have been thinking lately of maybe trying it in west lakes. Im trying to catch ST's on bait but sick n tired of baby bream getting there first so thought maybe a lure for St's might be the go as to which one god noes

• 3 weeks later...