Shimano raider 3 piece travel

Hey fellasbeen looking for a new rod for a while nowjust wondering if anyone owns a raider three piece traveler. I think this would suit all my needs and would be easy to cart around in the back of a car or in a backpack for walking creeks,rives ect.just woondering if there are any draw backs to this type of rod? Also not too sure which model to get in spin form snapper,snapper heavy or barra. Will mostly be targeting callop and reddies in the river at the moment and also snapper, whiting ect. but will hopefully be travelling later in the year to target big cod and hopefully barra around Sept-Aug.Also any ideas on compatable reels? Any help would be good fellas.

A top class choice IMO mate, however do bear in mind that travel rods are a compromise and are in no way equal to a one or two piece rod, merely a simple means of getting you fishing!A bit like comparing a powerful desktop PC, mains powered, against a slower, more prone to overheating, unrepairable when broken, but infinitely more portable, lap top PC?

G'day swampfisher. I've got the Raider travel spin 663. It's 6'6" rated 2-4kg. It's a great little rod. I've used it for flicking light lures in fresh and salt, and while I'm no expert on finesse fishing, I think it performs well. Have also used it out in the boat for whiting, squid trevs etc. probably not what it was designed for but it could cast 3.5 squid jigs well and pulled up a double header of 38-40cm whiting no wuzzers. I actually bought a 2 piece rack raider for the boat so I could keep the travel rod for its intended purpose, and not trash it all the time. Depending where you look people will love or bad mouth the raider rods. I reckon for a hundred odd $ they are a pretty good rod. Check out the DVD " Kangaroo Island Capers" and see Shane Murton put a good bend(and a bit of high sticking IMO) in a raider!!!

I have both the 3 piece and 2 piece. They are both excellent rods. Just watch the tip on the 3 piece as it doesnt take much to snap (bag dropped on it lol) Im currently waiting for a replacement. Ive got my 3 piece paired up with a little Aernos 2000 reel and its perfect for flicking plastics and small lures B)

I've been using the 3 piece traveler for a few years now and love it. Have taken it around the world with me and landed fish in a few other countires all on lures.It's my go to rod pretty much for YFW, bream, salmon trout, all fresh water applications and even whiting, squid etc out fo the boat even though I have a 1 piece...just much more versatile.The largest fish I landed with it was a solid 3+kg salmon of the rocks at Stenhouse bay and it put a serious bend in the rod but handled it well...albeit I was very tentative landing it.As for snapper/barra etc... I would be going to something with a bit more grunt.I've curretnly got mine matched with a 2500 Sol and it's a great little combo for when the larger fish do jump on board.The one thing you will notice is that it has a much faster taper than the 1 or 2 piece rods. For light lures though it's perfect.

• 2 weeks later...

shimano symetere or shimano saros in the 4000 size would be awesome. i just got back from living in the NT for 6 months and the rod i took up there was a shimano jewel barra 2 piece 6-10kg with a saros 4000 and 30lb power pro braid, went well just a pity the fish werent bigger that i was catching haha

I've never been a big fan of multi-piece rods, and I've always considered ferrules to be a weak point.Having said that, technology has improved, rods are much better than they once were, and the Raiders seem to be gaining quite a following with respect in the marketplace for a reasonably priced rod.If you have to travel and you need portability, compromises have to be made, and I dont think you'd go far wrong with a Raider.

I bought one a while back and I don't mind it. Works quite well and is very transportable and does the job I bought it for :)I must admit though it is a little stiffer than i'd hoped but considering it is a 3 piece I am not too surprised. I much prefer my tcurve tournament but the 2-4kg 7ft 3 piece raider is a rod I would not be without.The handiest part of this rod is the ability to sneak it past the missus ;)As Jagger said i'd go a heavier for for the barra down the track :)