Plastics Help

Hi Guys,I am after some hints and tips, I headed out on Sunday morning, for a dedicated plastics trip.I have used them in the past, but only as a second bait on a pato rig.I thought I would leave all the bait at home and make myself a little more mobile on the breakwater at St Kilda.The fish I have caught in the past on plastics have been surrounded by baits so i am wondering if it is the bait factor on those catches.there were alot of guys out there on Sunday morning,and not many fish caught, so I am hoping that is the reason I had a shocker, got a couple of hits but nothing landed.I tried 4 or 5 different methods of retrieval all to no avail.My question to you guys, is what works well for you?Thanks,Ninja

Hey ninjaI'm sure this post will be flooded with replies as it is a great topic.My opinion is this....Berkley gulp is a food based, biodegradable, 100% natural plastic lure. You can fish this like bait, and sit it on the bottom, and you'll still catch fish if they are on. I'd start with this as technique isn't imperative. I'd make sure i had a fluro carbon leader as it is virtually invisible under water. I'd match my plastic to the bait fish and food that they are feeding on. Fish pretty light and watch your rod tip. Whatever your rod tip is doing your lure will be doing the same. Little gentle flicks and pauses. Always put a pause in. Most fish will hit your plastics on the pause or just after it.The berkley shrimp in 2" are lethal down the port and west lakes.

definately no swivel. Plastics and jig heads are very light. Adding a swivel is enough to put them out of balance and make them swim funny or unrealistic. I'd run 1.5mt of fluro carbon to your main line (Braid Normally) using a uni to uni knot. It is a very tidy and strong knot which will cast through your guides.