plankton wrote:

Why spend so much on a reel? You could spend a whole lot less and get a really good surf reel, plus have heaps of money left over to buy more fishing gear. I understand paying for quality gear, but those reels are overkill for chasing mullies in the surf imo.

Spot on Plankton! And I would always been paranoid about ruining the insides in the Rough and Tumble of the Surf. How do you think a Stella would go on the FWC being hammered by Sea Spray, Sand etc. Scary!But good luck with your choice ask me. I am going STELLA!!!! (Only beacause I am a Shimano Man.) TT
SALTIGAWould never bother with the rest had some of my best days ever in my life with my saltigatrust it 100% to never ever let me down and it never has.have Caught 60lb Gts 90lb Cod Yellowfin Tuna Sharks Samson Fish you name ithave tested it to its limits and never ever feels weakbest drag going around especially when your fishing your drag at 25kg you will stop most things in your pathi have watched Ifish so many times when paul uses his Stellaand im always laughfing as to the amount of fish he loses yeh he catches a few but loses more.its up to you anglers prefernce people will say they are the same but i can assure you there not found this out when jigging next to a mate using a stella had no control over samson fishat the end of the day you want to catch that big fish of a life time and want everything in your favour to ensure you the most chance of that dream coming true.

Hey BRC if you havent come across the in depth reviews of the Stella SW and Saltiga 2010 by Alan Hawke then you should definitely give it a good read. Very in depth stuff. But mate you cant go wrong with either IMO.Saltiga 2010 http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/salt10.htmlStella SW http://www.alanhawk.com/reviews/stlsw.html

I can feel a debate coming on.But really when it comes down to it this is just Holden vs Ford etc. An argue that will simply will come down to opinion and preference not true facts.My only advice is feel both Reels, do your Research and make your own decision. You should decide which will suit you the best. Both have their advantages over the other.Good luck with your choice; either way you will have the best of the best. I am jealous. TT

For beach fishing i wouldn't get either as they are way too good for anything you'll encounter in the surf plus the sand could damage them.If you've got your heart set on getting one or the other though then i would get the saltiga 6500 expedition.Anything less than 80lb braid is probably wasted on such a reel though.

I've got a saltiga surf and love it! Quite light for its size too. I can't fault mine but my mates did get a brief dunking the other day and seized almost immediately. But with a quick soak in fresh water it is in the hands of the lads at daiwa getting stripped down and bearings replaced.Great reel though and feels very sturdy, casts brilliantly too.+3 for saltiga surf!

I've got a saltiga surf and love it! Quite light for its size too. I can't fault mine but my mates did get a brief dunking the other day and seized almost immediately. But with a quick soak in fresh water it is in the hands of the lads at daiwa getting stripped down and bearings replaced.Great reel though and feels very sturdy' date=' casts brilliantly too.+3 for saltiga surf![/quote']That's surprising, I would have thought that a relatively expensive reel specifically designed for surfcasting would have been able to survive a breif dunking without having to be sent back to Daiwa for repairs. :dry: If you have the money to spend and want a reel that can take a beating in the surf look into a Van Staal or Zee Bass, never used either but heaps of guys in the US swear by them.

i'd prefer a baitrunner for the surf. does the saltiga come in baitrunner form?

Nope!The Saltiga is all about a gutsy reel, with no bells or whistles whatsoever, and as such, nothing to break under extreme pressure.If you want a baitrunner, my own preference is for the Shimano's, but they'll never come close to handling or taking the strain you can put a Saltiga through.In my eyes, prior to these Saltiga and Stella reels, things like sampson, tuna, marlin on a threadline reel were unheard of!
Guys up North were catching plenty of GTs' date='Sailfish,Marlin and Dog Tooth Tuna on U.S. made Penn 850SS Spinfishers and Mono line back in the late 70s. :) B)I'd bet on those same reels still being used today.[/quote']You stole my thunder :laugh: ..........my uncle lived in Cairns during the late 70's through to early 90's,and all he used was the USA Penn Spinfisher 9500SS............and I'm still using it on FWC today...........all I've ever done was wash it down after every session,and a new set of drag washers about 10 years ago B) Saves me a Grand anyway ;) Good luck with your purchase,whatever you choose..........I reckon it boils down to "what colour" you like better :P
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...