Snapper Spots for Kayaks

hey guys,I understand inshore snapper spots can be few and far between, but iam after some reliable spots within 4km from shore to fish from a kayak. I am a catch and release fisho, who would like to keep maybe a small rugger for tea once in a while.Please dont post spots here as i would hate to be the person who outs someones secret spot, so send a PM.If someone can help me out it would be great, i would be very thankful. ROB

These aint no secret spots so I think it's fair to say they can be posted here without causing anyone undue stress or suffering!I was thinking about landbased areas for snapper, and two which immediately came to mind are Pt Riley just north of Wallaroo, and Pt Lowly rip, where the lighthouse is on the way to Whyalla.

I personally would not be fishing any of these inshore snapper spots in SA cause the big whites follow them where ever they go. Most places landbased fire when the sharks are most active to. Im not saying dont do it but you have to be realistic

I personally would not be fishing any of these inshore snapper spots in SA cause the big whites follow them where ever they go. Most places landbased fire when the sharks are most active to. Im not saying dont do it but you have to be realistic

I'm afraid I gotta agree also Thahn, snapper and sharks always go together. But having said that, in the Bay at Antechamber Bay on KI would be a great spot but I reckon you'd end up being something elses brekky or dinner and part of the foodchain considering you'd be fishing at dawn or dusk and also sharks there often feed off the schools of salmon and mullet that move through there :icon_e_surprised:

I gotta say I disagree.I cant see the difference between surfing an offshore reef, or fishing in a yak. True, sharks are there, and I had seen hundreds in my surfing days, but its a shite load more dangerous driving to your destination. Good onya FF,I cant wait to read your posts on the results. pm sent ;)

Even in the unlikely event that a kayaker came across a Great White there is no guarantee that the shark is going to become aggressive. There has been quite a few kayak / shark encounters and no deaths or serious injuries that i'm aware of. I know in South Africa there has been incidents when a Great White has bitten a kayak, but nothing more than this.A Great White encouter could happen anywhere when going offshore in a yak. Fair enough you may be increasing your chances at some of the Snapper reefs, but I really don't think the risk is that great, although maybe i'm just trying to reassure myself.

I can fit the jaws over my whole body which aint the smallest

Yep! that's the scary part :icon_e_surprised: :icon_e_surprised:Those of you who know me from other sites probably remember my news clippings and story I posted about my uncle and his mate that disappeared out on Clarries back in the sixties. The Police found their 15 ft bondwood boat still at anchor, turned upside down with their snapper lines still tied to the gunwales and a big split in the bottom of the boat. The police never found the bodies so it was never reported as a shark attack but they believe it was, as all the evidence was there.Go out and have a crack, if it wasn't for the adventurous, the world would still be flat :icon_idea:

Thanks to those who PM'd me.I was asking for spots, not a lecture on safety. Thanks for the concern, though.

Rob, Fishing from a Kayak is NOT SOMETHING you SHOULD DO.....EVER! It is stupid, difficult, not to mention dangerous, and if you fall in you will sink. BIG SHarks will attack Yakkers on Sight, as traditionally Kayaks make up a large part of the Great Whites' Diet! In fact did you know that every WHITE gutted in SA has had at least 1 Kayaker in its bellie, sometimes 2.Next time you ask for some assistance, do your homework and consider whether it is a good idea first! You shouldnt have to wait for others to tell you that the sport you chose is dangerous, unrealistic and downright dumb!Kayak fishers dont know what they are getting themselves into and some legislation should be brought in to STOP THEM IMMEDIATELY.Furthermore HOW DARE YOU ask for SNAPPER SPOTS in SA. Asking such a question is more dangerous than Yak fishing! ;) ;) ;) ;) ;):) :) :D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)

Hey Rob, the best advice I can offer is to head to any inshore reefs or structure adjacent deeper water or channels straight after a severe onshore blow especially from about now onwards, this tends to bring schooling snapper in close for a brief period while the water is still a bit stirred up, any of the rocky points on our gulfs should fire up i.e. Point Riley, Cape Elizabeth, Bird reef, areas around Pt vicoria & the foot of Yorkes, further away you have Coffin bay with snapper spots within spitting distance of the boat ramp plus you may encounter a kingy from mid to late October onwards, I've also heard there have been some snapper mixed in with the kingies at Augusta pwr house, dirty water combined with the stealth of a yak should provide good results in the shallower waters of inshore structure.My ultimate destination though would be KI nth coast early to mid summer too many locations to mention plus plenty of species, god I love that place.Cheers, spog

Hey Rob, the best advice I can offer is to head to any inshore reefs or structure adjacent deeper water or channels straight after a severe onshore blow especially from about now onwards, this tends to bring schooling snapper in close for a brief period while the water is still a bit stirred up, any of the rocky points on our gulfs should fire up i.e. Point Riley, Cape Elizabeth, Bird reef, areas around Pt vicoria & the foot of Yorkes, further away you have Coffin bay with snapper spots within spitting distance of the boat ramp plus you may encounter a kingy from mid to late October onwards, I've also heard there have been some snapper mixed in with the kingies at Augusta pwr house, dirty water combined with the stealth of a yak should provide good results in the shallower waters of inshore structure.My ultimate destination though would be KI nth coast early to mid summer too many locations to mention plus plenty of species, god I love that place.Cheers, spog

Now theres some really GOOD advice!These spots are ideal for Yackers, and Cape Elizabeth is something Rob and others have attempted before (i think).In victoria and QLD Yackfishing for Snapper is one of, if not the BIGGEST new growth area in recreational fishing, with many Snappr even landed on HardBodied lures!The stealth of the Yacks allows fishers to pull Snapper where the arival of a larger motor boat often spooks the fish. Remember that nice little red Kelvin caught a few hundred metres off of Glenelg! WHats more he lived to tell the tale!!! ;)Another spot well worth a try is between Outerharbour Walls and Snapper Point. Boaties get fish here often in spring/summer and theres the chance of a Jewie or Stonka Bream too. This area is fairly well protected and for those who put in the hard yards,it can be surprisingly productive.

Police said the attack was "extraordinary" given that it had occurred on a small vessel travelling on the surface

EXTRAORDINARY = it is not NORMAL or COMMONPLACE for this to occur. before anymore go on about Sharks, try convincing Surfers not to surf, swimmers not to swim and divers not to dive and while your at it have a crack at the spearfishos too!Each to their own; help out but dont lecture those who seek help, we are all (mostly) adults and realise there are dangers in our sport. Finally consider this...ALL OF YOU ARE FAR MORE LIKELY TO DIE IN YOUR CAR ON THE WAY TO A FISHING SPOT THAN OUT IN A KAYAK, so i guess a few of ya better start walking......

"so i guess a few of ya better start walking..."Bugger that! ..... I might get mugged ;)I don't really see it as others giving you blokes a "lecture"... maybe there might be just a slim chance that we all care a great deal about our fellow fisho mates and offer a bit of "safe" advice anyway. After all it happens in every generation. I copped a bagging from my old man on snapper opening last year after the closure when I took him and his mate out to the Glenelg Tyre Reef. It was blowing 20 knots and there were only 2 other boats out that evening from West Beach. We launched and it then blew up to 25 knots on the way out. We had 6 big snapper aboard as soon as we anchored and they were "as happy as Larry" but now I still get told to this day that we shouldn't have gone out in that weather blah! blah! blah!even tho' my boat could handle the conditions. If we hadn't made an effort and gone out and instead stayed home as suggested we wouldn't have got the results we did... sometimes you just can't win :icon_e_wink:

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Dude theres a few clowns on ere ;DKayaking should be awesome for snaps, u dont have to go to woop woop either. About a km or so straight out from West beach ramp will score you snapper everytime you go out Look up marks for Kemps ground Im sure you'll find em easy enough. Fish the sand holes along the rock ledges.Outer harbour and the Port has more snapper than just about any other species. It shouldnt take too long to suss out some decent grounds. All the cliffs locally from Marino - Myponga rocks havbe snapper right up close all summer long. Do your research and you will get results. 4 kms is a bit further than Id go in a K but hey thats me.Oh yeah and dont cross the roads I hear cars can run you over at least 40 people have died this year crossing the road so never do it ::)

• 2 weeks later...

Unfortunately I agree with Thahn.Theres been 200 / 300 kg fish taken from the section bank.Its one thing to fish for snaps in the channel or in the river or even on the blueline , its another to chum for sharks from a kayak. Having a shark attack you kayak is probably ten million to 1, Xlotto odds, chumming however ..................

• 4 weeks later...