difference between salmon trout and salmon

hello everybody, i just joined strikehook today and this will be my first post.I have read alot about people catching salmon trout and indeed have caught them myself but it is not clear to me the differece between them and salmon. some people i have asked have said that they are juvenile australian salmon where as others have said they are a different species and i was just hoping someone could maybe help clairfy this for me?? cheers

They are Australian Salmon' date=' all of them.There is no such thing as a Salmon Trout, it is a nickname only use in South Australia.http://www.pir.sa.gov.au/fisheries/recreational_fishing/target_species/salmon[/quote']Dead right Handy nickname though, cos it's worth keeping in mind it's a reduced bag for salmon over the 35cm only 10. And as said, once they get over the kilo mark they seem like a different fish, losing the spotty appearance and getting more of a torpedo shape :woohoo: either way, they are a terrific, reliable, easy accessible little light metro sport fish for us metro anglers desperate for a bent rod over the cooler months. Love me some aussie salmon :)Welcome to the site buddy :) :)

Welcome to the site plenty of infomation and people willing to share info,Salmon trout are 21cm to 35cm,35cm and over are called salmon or australian salmon at 35cm and over the bag and boat limit change thats when the name changes to,the only one is the eastern australian salmon and the western australian salmon,as the western is much larger,the salmon trout is also confused with the tommy ruff as have seen buckets of so called tommy's that are salmon trout except tommy's dont have bag and boat limits or size.Once there around can be caught on lure's and bait and the action is quick.

SalmonTroutcaught29020803.jpg

SalmonTroutcaught0206071.JPG

Same fish,but juveniles called salmon trout...........due to their spots..........once the fish matures,their spotted backs turn into a more solid colouration............usually black or a greeny blue,these are the mature salmon.........unsure of their age at this point in time,but usually between 1 and 2kg in weight.That's what I've always known it to be anyway ;)

ok cool cheers everyone' date=' i just wasnt sure as when i was looking in the rec handbook and it didnt say anything about salmon trout sizes and bag limits etc so i thought i had better check exactly what they were. :) i read about them all the time in SA Angler so yea, good to confirm[/quote']If you're newish to fishing mate, check the difference between them and Tommie Ruffs too, as thyere close in appearance and its pretty easy to get them confused and it's no good getting sprung for no good reason :pinch: ;)

yea good advice, im not to bad at telling the difference between them and tommies its just that i have never targeted salmon or salmon trout so any that i have caught i put back coz i didnt know much about them ie bag or size limits and as you say its not worth getting pinged over but know i know so when i do catch them again i have all the knowledge B)B)

I've never understood the whole salmon/salmon trout thing :)The difference between them is 1mm ;)Why don't we have another 'official' name for snapper as they have multiple size/size restrictions. I can't see the benefit as it just confuses people...LOVE fishing for salmon and salmon trout though! They're everywhere and bloody good fun on light gear :)

yea good advice' date=' im not to bad at telling the difference between them and tommies its just that i have never targeted salmon or salmon trout so any that i have caught i put back coz i didnt know much about them ie bag or size limits and as you say its not worth getting pinged over but know i know so when i do catch them again i have all the knowledge B)B)[/quote']Dead easy telling Aussie salmon from tommies, the salmon have yellow pectoral fins and tommies do not, also tommies have a rough feel to them and a noticeably bigger eye. But the fins are a dead giveaway.