Depends what you want with it! If 'twere me I'd fillet, when the rib bones are cut out you get a long V cutout down the fillet, I usually continue this down the fillet 'til it's in half lengthways & then cut into equal size pieces. This way you get a chance to cook the thick pieces for a bit longer without the thin end being overdone. Then it's up to you, Ranger's beer batter, a nice tempura or coat in corn flake crumbs (much crunchier and tastier than breadcrumbs)CheersWahoo

This tempura-style batter is light and crisp and so easy to make - all you need is a frying pan. I'm partial to flathead fillets, but any firm, white fish will do. I like to serve this with a preserved lemon aioli but my kids reckon it's pretty good with tomato sauce. Ingredients Serves 2 6 small flathead fillets ½ cup self-raising flour ½ cup cornflour ½ cup carbonated mineral water 250ml vegetable oil Method Cut flathead fillets in half lengthways. Mix the flours in a medium bowl. Add mineral water and mix well. Place fish fillets into batter and coat well. Place oil in a 22cm pan over moderate heat. If your pan is larger, add more oil so it is about 1cm deep. Test the oil by dropping a little batter into the pan; it will sizzle when the oil is hot. Pick up a fillet with a fork and drain the excess batter into the bowl, then carefully lay the fish in the pan.Repeat, cooking a few at a time for 2-3 minutes each side until lightly golden. Drain on paper towel.

Flathead are one of the best tasting fish out there. Right up with KG in my opinion.As a chef I would put flathead on the menu as a special and get more comments than any other fish (apart from Atlantic Salmon)Half your luck with the big one. For me good seafood needs very little attention. Cooked simply they taste the best. Leave all the sauces and smothering with herbs and spices for the poorer tasting species. Perhaps fillet, then season with S&P, lightly flour, cook in a little oil and butter, squeeze of lemon or lime, that's all that is needed for a great meal. Batter or crumb is OK, but pan fry like I mentioned and it will taste supurb !

G"day plug her, with big flattys there is no right or wrong, what I do with them is bake them whole,dont waste as much meat imo.Rub some butter on a big sheet of foil,get the flattie score some slits in its flanks in to these place a slice of lemon.in the guts add a dob of butter ,some tinned tomatoes[these add moisture and juice] a slice or 2 of onion, a sprinkle of salt and pepper.Wrap the sucker up, sealed but loose throw it in the oven preheated for half an hour or so ,magnifico.But then again battered fillets are awesome as well,pretty much impossible to screw a fish of such fine quality up. B)B) B)The sweetest most tastiest tender meat is around the gut ,and right at the back of the head.