fishing with a pole

Hi all,I was in Ray's Outdoors today,and saw a 6m telescopic pole for around $35 :ohmy: Thought that might be a bit of fun for mullet at Easter on Yorkes beaches,so I bought one :P couldn't help myself.Nothing better than a millpond smooth beach at daybreak on an Autumn morning at daybreak in my opinion......generally get a lot of mullet.......top berley block material for snapper,and pretty good fresh from the water for brekkie after that session too ;) Seeing as they are generally only 5 to 10m from shore in the shallows where I target them,hardly worth a cast.........by the time you close the bail arm and reel in the slack,both baits are gone when they're "on"It's rated at 4 to 8kg and seems to have a "nice but cheap" feel to it.........I know that Carp guru's will spend big $$$ on quality poles.Remember fishing in the Port as a kid with my Uncle......a 10 foot rod with the line tied to the last runner fishing for mullet under a small float........Anyone else fished or still fish this style?Any tips appreciatedCheers

Used to use Rangoon Cane rods when I was a little tacker fishing with my parents up in North Queensland. The line (roughly the same length of the rod) was tied directly to the end of the rod, then fitted with a cork float, some small split shot and a hook appropriate to what ever species were being targetted (generally FW species like Sooty Grunter, Catfish, Archerfish, Spangled Perch, etc.). Simple, but effective...As a matter of interest, I Googled "rangoon cane rods" and came up with this link:http://www.chsmith.com.au/Products/Rangoon-Cane-Poles.htmlIt seems there may still be a demand (however small) for them. Interesting to note though, that the site says: "Rangoon Cane Poles are the original surf rod."Cheersaf B)

Thanks archerfish.......interesting site.yep,we used to call that the "Ned Kelly rig"..........good and easy to fish with.Also remember seeing an old chap half way along Outer Harbour Breakwater many years ago fishing for bream with small worm baits under a quill........worked a treat..........must've got a dozen,all over about 35cm.........long before soft plastics were "invented"

When I was a lot, "repeat a lot" , younger, I used a Rangoon Cane with nylon tied to the tip, and as long as the cane.Used in the Port and was a killer on slimies, bream and garfish.Small float, split shot and single hook....just remember you are not poling tuna ... so a slow lift ...... :)

my wifes grandad had a long bamboo pole he used to use in the onka for mullet back in the day. same deal just tied line to the end with a single hook

That's how I was taught to fish down the Onk for the jumpers using a rangoon cane and a quill float with my old man and some of his old mates :)We also used the rangoons to pole for garfish