"River Cottage" lifestyle for a month.

Now I am by no means a hippie and I defineatly could not go a whole month without meat. However I do feel uncomfortable at times with some of our farming methods and the broader impact of producing food. So for the month of april I am gonna do something about it. I'm only gonna eat free range meat, no beef, pork or lamb (will be an "out" later on that I will explain). I will eat vegetables and fruit but no rice grown in australia.I will still eat whatever is served up to me when I go to eat at someone's house (don't wanna be rude) and if we go out for a meal i will eat whatever too as it seems a bit hard and I don't wanna be the guy asking if the chicken is free range. I can eat any fish I have caught myself but not bought seafood as most of the fishing methods used by pro's are questionable at best.I guess that means I'll have to go fishing more (what a shame) and I can also eat kangaroo and some other game meats as I beleive they are far better and mostly wild caught/shot. I'll get off my soapbox now but if anyone has any comments or if they have done something similar let me know as I would love to hear from you.thanks guys

River cottage rocks if we could we would live like Hugh in a heartbeat. We grow as much fruit and veg as we can most of my front yard is dedicated to veg growing with the back yard currently under conversion. We also have 4 very much free range chooks which will have there range cut down a bit with the veggie patches going in out the back ;) . Fresh eggs from your own chooks are so much nicer than any shop bought egg. We try and have one main meal a week that has no meat even if it's veggie burgers. Our main reason for the lifestyle change is you don't know what your getting from the shop half the time and where its come from. We still buy stuff from the shop but it supplements a big chuck of our grocery bill which is another bonus more cash for fishing gear :cheer:. As general rule we only eat fish we have caught ourselves pretty fussy like my fish cleaned and iced straight away blows me away when you see people with half baked guts still in fish next to them on the jetty or wharf :sick: that they plan to have for dinner.I could bang on about this for hours I love it and have never felt better. I suppose we have made lots of small changes over a few years which I thinks the secret not trying to do it all in one hit. I'll shut up now ;) Cheers 1fish :fishing:

Great idea, i'm a big fan of the idea of Hughs "River Cottage" approach to life (although i think he has sold out a bit with his expansion in the later episodes).I reckon living that lifestyle would not only be healthy from the food you put in your body but healthy for your mind and overall well being (i sound like hippy but i'm not).Since watching River Cottage i have put in several veggie patches and am self sufficient with certain veggies. Spend a lot of time on the yak catching fish to eat and get all our red meat from the father in laws farm.My plan is to buy some property at some stage a try the small holder lifestyle i'm sure it would eb very satisfying.I currently work in an office environemnt and am paying a mortgage so am a fair way off yet.You've got the right idea ... good luck.

Great idea' date=' i'm a big fan of the idea of Hughs "River Cottage" approach to life (although i think he has sold out a bit with his expansion in the later episodes).I reckon living that lifestyle would not only be healthy from the food you put in your body but healthy for your mind and overall well being (i sound like hippy but i'm not).Since watching River Cottage i have put in several veggie patches and am self sufficient with certain veggies. Spend a lot of time on the yak catching fish to eat and get all our red meat from the father in laws farm.My plan is to buy some property at some stage a try the small holder lifestyle i'm sure it would eb very satisfying.I currently work in an office environemnt and am paying a mortgage so am a fair way off yet.You've got the right idea ... good luck.[/quote']I don't get why you are laying of the meat?I farm lamb which is basically free range, only vaccinated and drench for their safety.I can also get you free range cattle too.If you need free range eggs we have 8 chooks PM and you can collect from my office if you are in the North East, we sell them for no profit at $3 a carton to cover the cost of free range feed.Redmist, I was in the same position as you and I took the risk and it's paid off. Just because you have a mortgage don't let that deter you. You won't regret it, there are some good properties in the hills close to the burbs available. Mine is on the market this week 67 acres at Kersbrook :)