Surf rod for mulloway

Guest undertaker

My school of thought is that the class of fish at Salt Creek and Yalata are worlds apart!At Salt Creek,I have fished for mulloway with a 4120,no probs,getting fish to 30lb.My first Yalata trip saw that rod "destroyed",losing a nice fish indeed :'(Next Yalata trip,I had purchased a couple of 8144's......one for my Penn 9500SS,and the other for a Penn Senator 4/0........They did the business for me,landing a 40lber,and also a nice bronzie in the 6 to 7 foot range.Rods are Wilsons,and were around the $150 mark each from memory.All depends what you want to spend..........perhaps something a bit more "up market" for the Saltiga though ;)Just my thoughts though.

Saltiga judging by the fact that you are using a saltiga surf (pricy bit of equipment there!) I would find it hard to beat one of the Sensor surfs. I have one of the 13 footers that are rated to 40lb and they are wicked. Really stingy blank that sets hooks quick as and the extra length and positioning of reel seat lets you launch big baits a mile. http://www.daiwafishing.com.au/daiwa.cfm?page=rods&rods=surfrock&product=sensorsurfThat said, judging by you’re reel purchase, you are after the best and in that case I would be going for one of the matching Saltiga surf rods, as there built to match.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have organised to get a Pacific Composite 4120 Graphite rod made up and extended to 12 ft 9 inch.It will be rated 10 - 15kg.

I would have thought you would have had to go a 5120 to get that sort of rating. The 4120 is not known as a gutsy blank. My mate has a Pac Comp 5120 extended to 12 foot and that does the job well. That is what I would be looking at if I was looking in this series. I have a 10-15kg Livefibre that does the job beautifully, and in my opinion is much nicer that the 4120/5120 blanks that I have seen ;)
  • 2 months later...