I was in a tackle shop and came across boxes of "Green Sinkers".Theyre made of environmentally freindly materials that apparently will dissolve over time in water.Supposedly they limit the thousands of lead sinkers lost all the time :pinch: :whistle: Has anyone ever used these ? Are they actually better than lead ?The only obvious difference I noticed was their weight for size, being much lighter but not sure if that would /cou;ld be an issue apart from possibly storage :unsure: I should have checked the price too to see how they compared with lead ;)

I heard that they are made of steel and rust out in your tackle box. Interesting concept about lead polluting the environment... isn't lead a natural compound that is mined from the earth. Everything within a radius of a lead mine must be completely dead from lead poisoning :S :whistle:

Fishie, it's my understanding that Lead is very rarely found in its pure form - as with most metals. Generally it reacts with other materials in the ground or atmosphere and is mined as ore such as Lead Oxide. While this is normally safe, the ore is then refined into pure Lead and melted into sinkers.I do know that as humans we can suffer from Lead poisoning if we get too much in our system, -although I can't really see how having little lead sinkers sitting on the ocean floor is environmentally damaging, I would of thought that the Lead would have just reacted with its environment again. The only way I can imagine the sinkers harming the environment would be if there were fish actually ingesting the sinkers... And surely that can't be a common occurence?