Biggest Blue Swimmer Crab

pin point wrote:

i HATE crabs, hate the taste the look and the feel of them, easily the scariest thing in the ocean. reading this thread has just made my phobia skyrocket! :unsure::unsure:

agreed... they make awesome berley when smashed up with a mallet... brings the whiting on the bite
pin point wrote:

and the bream love em! shove a little rock crab on and your just about guaranteed a legal breambo :)

im still trying to work out how to pina couple of 6.0's through them without killing them... ive tried to pin a single hook through by their swimmers, but they are just that soft the cast flings them off.
pin point wrote:

with the small rock crabs, i pull that flap thingy back and put the hook through where its bum should be, but then again im not using 6/0 hook :dry:

ltfish suggested a tiny hole poked through its back, and out the bottom , then a hook through ther may work, but the cast with the big surf rod is just too violent... ive had frozen tommie come flying off...
pin point wrote:

jesus nev, wouldn't wanna get in your way

hahahaaha... ive been known to fling em out there, but every now and again, my accuracy is a bit out...one time i folded my yourger bro up like an envelope, when i was casting a snapper lead... ( thankfully on just an 8ft rod).hit him sqaure in the back, dead centre of his shoulder blades.now my younger bro, IS A HUGE MAN....and i hurt him prtty good... i kind of felt sorry for him, as i was rolling on the floor laughing hysterically :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
rocknev wrote:

pin point wrote:

and the bream love em! shove a little rock crab on and your just about guaranteed a legal breambo :)

im still trying to work out how to pina couple of 6.0's through them without killing them... ive tried to pin a single hook through by their swimmers, but they are just that soft the cast flings them off.
heres a video of a good method how to use crabs as bait ...the snappers would luv em. best method iv seen so far.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GS10veecFOE
ospray wrote:

i won the crab comp on fish sa with one that went 71 cm from claw to claw

I caught one out in front of Bower Road in 12 ft of water 2 seasons ago, measured 75cm claw to claw, and each nipper has an open span of 75mm. I think the photo is on another computer, but i will have a search for it.
if it was the same year I got the mystery prize... :)