Whyalla Snapper Comp - Day 1

Well, today was the day that was. Or rather wasn't! After waking up at 6am, and preparing for a 7am start to the 21st Annual Snapper Comp, we were greeted with a stiff breeze coming from the North West. Phoned UHF for a quick discussion regarding the days plan of action. We decided to hold off for a bit and see what the weather was doing. As it turned out, the wind did not back off. In fact, it felt like it got stronger. It did swing around from the North West to South Westerly. As far as fishing at Whyalla goes, the Southerly winds, whether it is from the SW, S or SE, and if it has some strength to it, it usually spells the end of fishing for smaller boats. Big Red, UHF and Spedo launched from Point Lowly at around 10 and headed for the North end of Fitzgerald bay. We launched almost an hour later also from Point Lowly. The wind was around 14 knots. By 1 o'clock, BigRed, UHF and Spedo had accounted for a few Dog Sharks but so far we had drawn a Donut. We did attempt to anchor up once, but the wind was quite strong and the anchor refused to stick. We did find a couple of reasonable sized schools and drifted baits through for a continuation to our Donut. The wind continued to rise and by 2pm, Whyalla Sea Rescue had issued an All Weather alert to all craft with suggestion for all craft to return to the ramps. By that stage, we had already returned to the Ramp at Point Lowly. No day's fishing is complete without at least one peanut cutting boats off and in this case we were not let down. A boat of around the 6m length cut through the queue of boats waiting at the ramp. We got the boat back on the trailer at 2.30 and were greeted by fisheries officers who enquired about our catch. However, with nothing to declare, we went on our way. By this time, the wind was blowing hard at plus 30 knots. Shortly after, the Police arrived, we assume, to ensure all craft returned safely. Travelled back into Whyalla and checked out the leader board. 5 fish had been weighed in with the leader being 7.62kg which was caught by a resident of Kapunda. Of the 5 fish on the board, 2 were caught by Kapunda Residents and the other 3 caught by Locals. Not sure how BigRed, UHF and Spedo faired in the end but we returned to the caravan park for a few ales and to prepare for our next assault. The forecast not looking real good so we will have to play it all as it comes.

these are thr trips you remember though.. sadly, i went for a look down the beach.. and not everyone is heading the warning, with boats out ( judging by the trailers not very big boats either ) with more launching as i drove past.. dickheads... NO fish or prize is worth the risk.. as you may have found out, when its rough here its a different kind of rough.. we dont get the long swells.. its more of a washing machine with waves coming short sharp and everywhere... good luck for rest of the comp...oh, on a plus side.. IM LOVING THIS WIND... hitting the rocks around 9:30 for a session.. perfect for my fishing..

Looking at the wind pushing thru up at Dublin this afternoon I was thinking fishing would be tough up there for you guys, with the highest gust I saw going to 70 khm at the Black Pole :whistle: :pinch: Wel done on giving it a crack, being cautios and good liuck for the rest of the comp.Maybe you should be fishing in close near Rocknev, assuming he doesnt mind :huh:

Cheers guys! I certainly remember last years 1st day! Conditions were not that dissimilar! Was pretty windy and we were fishing the Rip. Caught a small Pinky about 32cm long. Had a look over towards the Santos Jetty and noticed the waves. Decided to pull the pick and head for Whyalla. 18k run took nearly 3 hours. The swell was almost as big as my boat is long! Was a very hard run in. Certainly was a 'memorable' trip!Nev, There's always going to be those 'people' that head out in the wrong conditions. I can only hope that they do not give the Sea Rescue boys more work to do. I Would love to come say G'Day but I dare say I will be looking at the inside of my eyelids by 8!!! Hope you get into em! AFF, what can I say. Certainly was blowing its guts out! Saw a boat of more than 20ft disappear in spray and swell as it nosed in coming back to the ramp. Bit hairy thats for sure!Jack, I hope we do give the scorers a bit of work! This being our 3rd comp, It would be nice to catch something!!!

Maybe, Jaggs, maybe. Its certainly going to be very hard for the smaller trailer boaties. Conditions forecast to be better tomorrow but its still blowing its guts out. 20knots at the moment. Time will tell. I plan on a 6am rise (Wind still forecast to be 14 knots plus) and see whats happening and take it from there.

not a lot of snapper anywhere it seems.. ust back from the rocks and not a sniff all night.. im on one legal for the yr so far.. hell i should be knocking over double figures by this time.. not from lack of trying either... even hitting some spots ive not fished for many yrs hoping they are there to no avail.. i thought k&r charters had their license revoked? guess im wrong...cruised past the marina just now, and only two empty trailers... some nutters around thats for sure.. funny how they both had vic plates.. enuff said.welcome to the weird and wonderful whyalla waves... they never consistent.. have been out in some bad stuff.. the last week has had flat water every day... that changed as has happened before in this comp..i reckon it mightbe time to put the comp to bed... doesnt seem to have the excitment any longer...watched the launch as i do every yr, and there was only me, my bro, and maybe 10 others watching.. a few yr ago there would have been 100 people watching them leave...still amases me though how efficient the ramps are used.. the last boat to launch was just 25 minutes after the start.. fantastic effort..did see a few mishaps though... one bloke too eager oushed his boat off his trailer, straight into the front of another boat waiting for room to reverse... credit to the owner of the boat hit that he didnt do his chewy, just shook his head and got on with it.disapointed in lack of respect for the 4knot speed limit in the marina though.. at 4 there should'nt really be a bow wave... hell one bloke almost was on the plane...