Whyalla Snapper Comp - Day 2

Looks like we are fishing in a Bakery rather than a Snapper comp! Our lot pulled another Donut! And as far as I know, BigRed, UHF and Spedo faired no better!Having spent a lot of the night awake and constantly checking the weather, we finally got underway at around 8. It blew its guts out pretty much all night and it was still blowy at 6am. By 7.30, the wind had dropped very slightly so we made our way down to the Marina. There were a lot of white horses and it looked to be quite rough so we decided to hit Lowly again after we had checked out the Leader board. As we pulled up, we saw a couple of blokes having their photo taken with their catch. Certainly lifted our spirits. Considering the blokes reckoned that they caught them out at Point Lowly! Turned out one of the fish went 15.26kg. The leader board at that time was:1. S Stone (Whyalla) 15.26kg2. S Shultz (Whyalla) 13.08kg3. J Malone (Pt Lincoln) 12.90kg4. B Stone (Whyalla) 12.32kg5. O Jaritz (Whyalla) 11.70kg6. P Hanold (Andamooka) 10.10kg7. A Roberts (Kapunda) 7.62kg8. T Rose (Whyalla) 5.94kg9. K Shannon (Kapunda) 5.48kg10. A Spackman (Whyalla) 5.32kgSo, out to Point Lowly we went. Uneventful launch but the water looked rough there as well. Which it did turn out to be. First stop for us was Diver's Reef. There were a few boats out there but they were getting thrown about a fair bit. Looking over towards the Lighthouse, it looked a lot more settled so we headed over there. Was a very interesting short trip. The Rip was very rough with swells ranging from 2 - 3m. But as soon as we managed to get out of the Rip, the swell was lucky to be 1m at its worst. Sounded around for a while, locating a few small scattered schools on the sounder and a deep channel. Dropped the pick and started to Burley up. Not long after we got there, the bites began. My lad hooked up to what we hoped was a Pinkie! Well, it turned out to be a dreaded Dog Shark. Quick De-Hook and back in the drink. Baits were still getting hammered but it turned out to be Shitties. Decided to have a quick flick with Lucanus jigs but that generated no interest. Got the same result with Soft Plastics. The Shitties got thicker so our next move was to head out deep to one of the Charter drops that the comp organisers give out every year. Found the mark no problem. Didn't look to be much structure though. But, never the less, baited up and cast em out. Very strong current! But it wasn't to be as this drop was also infested with Shitties. Stuck it out while we had lunch, then moved back for another drift through the rip. The wind came up and by the end of the drift, we were, again, fishless. Rather than reposition for another drift, we motored across to the Pt Lowly Tyre Reef. Found some fish up close on the structure and a few out wide. Dropped the pick and sent the baits down again. By this time, the wind was quite strong, as was the current and the anchor dragged.Repositioned and dropped the pick again only to break the trip ties and drift away again. BigRed, UHF and Spedo came past at that stage as said they were going in. But we went back to Diver's Reef and had another crack. Again, a lot of small bites which turned out to be Shitties. The swell in the Rip got worse so we decided to roll up and head in, effectively calling it a day.Went back to the Ramp to wash the boat and saw more fish being weighed in. Anyway, below were the standings at 5pm:1. S Stone (Whyalla) 15.26kg2. S Schultz (Whyalla) 13.08kg3. J Malone (Pt Lincoln) 12.90kg4. B Stone (Whyalla) 12.32kg5. M Jaritz (Whyalla) 12.28kg6. D Ellis (Pt Augusta) 12.14kg7. R Mitchell (Whyalla) 12kg8. A Grillett (Whyalla) 11.98kg9. D Parker (Whyalla) 11.74kg10. O Jaritz (Whyalla) 11.70kgOur plan of attack for the 3rd and final day is to get out and hit em from super early am as the wind is forecast to drop to 8 knots. Who knows what tomorrow will bring but from all we’ve heard, the fish are being caught early morning. Fingers crossed, we can get amongst them.Boyo

Boyo some cracker numbers there mate1. S Stone (Whyalla) 15.26kg 2. S Schultz (Whyalla) 13.08kg 3. J Malone (Pt Lincoln) 12.90kg 4. B Stone (Whyalla) 12.32kg 5. M Jaritz (Whyalla) 12.28kg 6. D Ellis (Pt Augusta) 12.14kg 7. R Mitchell (Whyalla) 12kg 8. A Grillett (Whyalla) 11.98kg 9. D Parker (Whyalla) 11.74kg 10. O Jaritz (Whyalla) 11.70kg May you have better luck on day Three mate :clap::clap::clap:

Fishie Wrote:

The majority of big fish come from fishing around the pens up in Fitzgerald Bay Get as close to them as legally possible and berley back into them (I've never fished there myself but my mate reckons it's a killer spot for biggies)

I have heard that Fishie. The Comp organisers state that you need to fish outside the actual Aquaculture lease well away from the pens! Makes it a little harder. Went up that way yesterday and saw that most of the pens are gone. There were I think 5 in total that were up the top of Fitzgerald bay and I'm not even sure they were in use.From what I've heard, the big boy on the board came from the vicinity of the Lighthouse / Ledge.

Whyalla’s 21st Australian Snapper Championship saw big smiles on the face of local angler Steven Stone with his winning 15.26kg snapper,.........Second place went to another keen local, Josh Parker, for his 14.36kg snapper, followed by fellow local Andrew Sammut, with a 13.68kg fish.....Making up the remaining Top 10 were:13.28kg, Mark Burk, Whyalla.13.10kg, Wayne Barry, Batesford, Vic.13.08kg, Stephan Schultz, Whyalla.13.00kg, Steven Ahretis,NobleParkNorth, Vic.12.90kg, John Malone, Port Lincoln, SA.12.34kg, Matthew Jaritz, Whyalla.12.32kg, Ben Stone, Port Lincoln, SA.