Please tell me about your whiting outfit

I have a 4000 saros but need a rod to match it for the tingas.Tell me what outfit you're runnin' plus line and rigs :blush: I know not asking for much, but i'm gonna make a concerted effort this year and give 'em a good crack locally. Previous outfit was a 2500 sienna and Catana 702 rod. The li'l sienna got flogged using for squid, whiting etc and rod got broke :(Is a 4000 shimano reel overkill?

Thanks heaps AFF. I John McEnroed it across the bow of my boat in a fit of rage so.... :blush: prolly not repairable. :( They're an inexpensive rod and still on my list. Has anyone on here(please it's ok to admit it lol) used one of the anaconda brand rods? I checked some out when thay had a sale going but wanted to guage responses. Whatever does the job i say. One rod looked pretty ok, especially given the price tag at the time.Surely most are made in China these days at a certain budget huh?

i use a jarvis walker marado bf3000 10lb mono for my whiting fishing. i go for a 15gram to 30gram sinker paternoster rig with 6' date=' 8 or 10 longshanks. 7ft jarvis walker nibbletip rod. i use a shimano 4000 for landbased snapper fishing, so i'd say its overkill.[/quote']Hey Smokey, K-fart has the 2500 marado on sale for 25 bux. Prolly should have a squiz at that price.

Thanks heaps AFF. I John McEnroed it across the bow of my boat in a fit of rage so.... :blush: prolly not repairable. :( They're an inexpensive rod and still on my list.

Didnt know you played ball games with Rods JM :P Some of the online shops arent that pricey' date=' and some local tackle shops may have them on sale sometime :ohmy: The 4000 size is probably overkill, but if you dont mind using it, why not :)

Has anyone on here(please it's ok to admit it lol) used one of the anaconda brand rods? I checked some out when thay had a sale going but wanted to guage responses. Whatever does the job i say. One rod looked pretty ok, especially given the price tag at the time.Surely most are made in China these days at a certain budget huh?

Bought an Abu Garcia "Pink Stick" for the Doc, along with a 1/2 decent reel from K-Mart :blush: for around $70 last year, and its worked well on KG up to 50cm, Ruggers to 45cm, and even some very feisty Drummer too :ohmy: :woohoo: :clap: Probably Made In China Too :whistle:

Thanks heaps AFF. I John McEnroed it across the bow of my boat in a fit of rage so.... :blush: prolly not repairable. :( They're an inexpensive rod and still on my list.

Didnt know you played ball games with Rods JM :P Some of the online shops arent that pricey' date=' and some local tackle shops may have them on sale sometime :ohmy: The 4000 size is probably overkill, but if you dont mind using it, why not :)

Has anyone on here(please it's ok to admit it lol) used one of the anaconda brand rods? I checked some out when thay had a sale going but wanted to guage responses. Whatever does the job i say. One rod looked pretty ok, especially given the price tag at the time.Surely most are made in China these days at a certain budget huh?

Bought an Abu Garcia "Pink Stick" for the Doc, along with a 1/2 decent reel from K-Mart :blush: for around $70 last year, and its worked well on KG up to 50cm, Ruggers to 45cm, and even some very feisty Drummer too :ohmy: :woohoo: :clap: Probably Made In China Too :whistle:
I seen those ladies okumas etc too AFF, and for the missus that'll be fine but... :blush: Ok here's the recipe so far, one Saros 4000, that's what i got so that'll do reel wise. What rod?I do have a bcf sonic pro jobbo sittin' around 6'9 2 4-6kg graphite, doin' nothin. Thoughts?
shimano raider rods are perfect for this kinda fishing' date=' i own three including my broken 3 piece travel B)[/quote']Good reminder mate :clap: Nearly forgot about these. I do have a nice 2500 daiwa crossfire hangin' around doin' jackship. funny though, the daiwa 2500 is vey similar to the shimano 4000 in size....i got a 1500 daiwa also.

Calcutta CT50, Wilson Sovreign, 4kg Finns Braid.An overhead/baitcast outfit certainly isn't required for whiting, but I have a ball playing with this teensie lil outfit over a range of different species.I'd suggest the largest threadline outfit you would need for whiting would be a 2500 sized reel, and for whiting a slower tapered rod a little longer than normal...maybe up to 8'.

Calcutta CT50' date=' Wilson Sovreign, 4kg Finns Braid.An overhead/baitcast outfit certainly isn't required for whiting, but I have a ball playing with this teensie lil outfit over a range of different species.I'd suggest the largest threadline outfit you would need for whiting would be a 2500 sized reel, and for whiting a slower tapered rod a little longer than normal...maybe up to 8'.[/quote']My mate Joe prescribed the near same outfit :laugh: 'cept for the braid as i got him a lifetimes worth of cheap powerpro and suffix lol.Wasn't there a cheap calcutta on here lol?
shimano raider rods are perfect for this kinda fishing' date=' i own three including my broken 3 piece travel B)[/quote']Good reminder mate :clap: Nearly forgot about these. I do have a nice 2500 daiwa crossfire hangin' around doin' jackship. funny though' date=' the daiwa 2500 is vey similar to the shimano 4000 in size....i got a 1500 daiwa also.[/quote']cant go wrong for $99 imo :-)

I like fishing the tidal flats of Yorkes,and predominantly yellowfin whiting in summer......but still get a few KG's in the Autumn / Winter months (got a good one on Sunday).I prefer a long slow actioned rod for this work..........Gary Howard 10' Breambo 4W rod and a small Penn Slammer spooled with 6lb mono................a tiny swivel,then a 4 foot, 2lb fluorocarbon trace with small ball sinker (pea sized) running all the way to a small red bead above a size Mustad Aberdeen hook........a small clicker or sandworm bait,and you're on ;) Works for me B)

hey justshoo dat cross fire is tha reel ya wanna be usin for tha kg's m8 as for rod choice i'm with southie the samaki range has some killer sticks but my go to whiting rod now doubles as my snapper rod the t-curve lucanus light :silly: :silly: stick ya saros on one of these and ya gotz da multi purpose combo B) cheers 4THA

My favourite whiting rod is about 7' 4". Custom made by Yatesy. Its a cheap wilson FMT72G blank with a fraction of the tip cut off and extended at the butt, matched with either a 2500 stradic or a penn 260 slammer and 4-8lb braid. Awesome rod that is perfect for shallow water squidding with little jigs too.I love it. Used to use it in shallow water for snapper here too and it has caught a few nice 7 - 9kg ones and a host of smaller ones.Deep water I use a custom built sabre 140 (again extended to about 7ft+) and a penn 955 with 10lb braid. Just a bit beefier for heavier sinkers, etc.Its a great sport hey, we all have a rod or two that we love and reckon is perfect for what we do, makes it a pleasure to haul them in on!

Gday.I started out with the gold old favourite: The Ugly Stik with a $30 no-name reel then moved onto a 1pc Shimano Raider I was given which was a great rod for Whiting. Now I've gone for 2 piece rods due to them being easier to get in & out of cars, boats, kayaks, etc.From my kayak or a boat if I'm lucky enough to get a deckie job: St Croix 2pc 6'6" 6-12lb (one is SCIII, the other is a new SCV which is a bit flasher), Shimano Stradic 2500 & 3000 (the old ones), 10lb Power Pro braid.From the beach: Samurai S001X 7' 3-5kg or a MHX 9'6" 4-8lb (which is good for squidding too), Daiwa Sol 2000, 10lb Fireline.I find that the flash gear makes me look partially cool and professional while I'm busy not catching fish.Cheers.

Hey fellas atm I just use a Daiwa SOL type 2 MLFS rod matched with a Caldia 2000 for all my whiting needs. As a matter of fact that's the only rod I use for all small species fish. Great fun on the ruggers too, good for soft plastics at Bream and everything else in between.I really do love the light weight rods for its super sensitivity and lighting quick strikes. Next rod to get will be a Daiwa Steez! Bring on the winter Whiting.

At the end of the day i suppose it is up to how you like to fish. I use a 4000 for snapper and i find that to be more than enough to stop huge ones so would never consider using it for whiting unless fishing in 40m+.In shallow water up to maybe 20m i use a 2500 spooled with 8lb braid with a 7ft 2-4kg rod and if i am fishing any deeper than that i use a 3000 spooled with 15lb paired with a 7ft 3-6kg rod. I prefer fishing as light as possible and i've taken snapper up to 9kg on the 2500 with 8lb so i have full confidence in my setup if a big fish grabs my whiting bait.

My current rod is a 7ft 2-4kg tcurve tournament and previously i used a cheap 7ft 2-4kg et special.I love my new rod but it really is best suited to flicking lures as the butt is incredibly short! I've had a lot of trouble getting it to sit properly in a rod holder when on a boat :) So to fish with a bit more confidence i reckon another 2-4kg rod with a longer butt is on the cards ;) Any excuse for more gear!!!!!!!!!