Newspaper's fishing reports.

G'day.Every time I feel my pocket is too heavy by $1.10 I buy The Appetiser and after making my way into this glorious piece of print media I find myself at the weekday fishing reports: Salmon Trout here, Squid and crabs at these Jetties, Garfish aplenty there and so on.Who actually is writing this? To me, it seems like someone is just inventing the reports from a combination of fish species and place names.My second question regards to the more expansive weekend write-ups: who is Jon Huie? The articles and points of note seem fairly comprehensive but, without slandering this gentleman's credibility, who is he and how does he know what he's talking about?I ask these questions after a few years of reading many articles in our 2 SA fishing publications written by "people in the know" (including one gentleman who works at a mid southern coastal suburbs tackle shop, who I've found to be nothing but a bottomless pit of wisdom) and wondering again "who is actually writing these words in The Appetiser" and "who actually is Jon Huie".Any ideas out there?Cheers.Disclaimer:I write this post with the sharp knowledge that I have never written a fishing column, and the last time I did, my mate promptly ripped it off the dartboard, took it to the.bathroom and proceeded to do I don't know what with it.

Im pretty sure you will find John has fished around SA for quite a while, and has been a journalist fisho for a long time too.Plenty of dicussions have been had about the recycled info being used time and again, tho strangeley enough it makes sense from a seasonal angle.Smokeys pretty much on the money ;) :whistle: :laugh::laugh::laugh:

Anyone could do SA fishing reports. Theyre so basic. Just the usual boring dribble week after week ie whiting biting at all the usual locations, bream in westlakes, salmon on yorkes, squid at hallet cove.........bla bla bla bla bla.I dont even read the location reports in wildcoast mag anymore. Its page filler like ground hog day.

Basically what will happen is the tackle shops will get a phone call from John Huie once a week and we give him a bit of a report on what's happening (edit: Nanman is right though, mostly it's the same stuff every week :P ). He calls all the local metro stores as far as I am aware.We also get a call from Greg Irving (S.A. Angler) once a week for the same thing. As to who John Huie actually is; I've met him a number of times and while I don't know much about his professional history I do know he's a really nice bloke who's always happy for a chat about fishing, which is good enough for me. :pHe knows his stuff, too.

Thanks for the info. My curiosities are now satisfied. I can read the weekend fishing articles with the confidence that the author does know about his subject matter.Greg is the gentleman I was referring to about being a bottomless pit of wisdom - and a really lovely bloke to boot.As for the weekday reports: I'll no longer read them. When I feel like going fishing now, I'll just stab my finger down on a map and commit to fishing that location - even if it's nowhere near water. I'll also pack my tacklebag with my eyes shut.Cheers.

a fair few mentions of mulloway and snapper in west lakes a few days after i post something on here :whistle:

I've noticed that as well, I'm sure the folks writing those reports check out what's happening on here, and why wouldn't they.I have to admit that I'm guilty of always reading the sunday fishing report, eventhough it's fairly generic and useless. I do enjoy Mr Irving's friday column and he is a great person to chat with as well.As others have said, don't chase reports make them (and don't tell anyone for a few days after :laugh: )

Greg Irving is the best in the business when it comes to writing reports, he's also a top gentleman willing to talk the talk. He's not going to tell you bullshitThe trouble with reports is that they are given after the event and you can't catch the same fish twice :) If you want accurate fishing reports listen to Paul Lehmann from Bitewell Tackle down at the Bay on the ABC Radio at about 6.20 am every saturday morning. Paul will give the latest and accurate news of where the fish are biting from the past few days and he gets his reports from fishos like us that have got out there and caught the fish (He's not interested in telling bullshit and will only pass on factual reports)

I work with John Huie's step son.His step son comes in on a regular basis with reports of what John has caught himself.He has been in the local fishing scene for years and from what i understand really know his stuff and yes he does call around the tackle shops for info as we all do and why wouldnt he seeing as we all tell stories of how we went when we top up on tackle.

Remember a fishing report is "What has happend"Not "What is going to happen"We don't have a Crystal Ball but if anyone knows where I can buy a good one I would be interested.You really need to work behind the counter to know how many people want to know, "I'm coming over September"I want to catch Snapper!What time will I catch a fish?What fish will I catch?How many of them will I catch?What day will that be?What bait should I use?What size hook do I need? So I can catch them off the Jetty with my 6' garfish rod??Honestly sometimes I think I should go and catch and cook the fish for them. What I am trying to say is Fishing Reports printed are only a guide. Use your own common sense. John, Greg and others are only giving you a guide to what has happened and they do a good job.If you are interested we do a regular fishing report for this area but it is what has happened in the last week not what you WILL catch next week. Fish have Fins & Tails and do swim.www.compleatanglerwallaroo.com.au