New rod and reel on a tight budget?

So I recently quit my part-time job to focus on Year 12go fishing more.I don't have much money since I have to pay for my own car, but I have about 50-70 bucks from Easter, and I'm putting it towards a new and rod and reel, which im hoping to use for whiting, off of the jetty, and occasionally off the rocks...I've had a look in Ray's and found a Jarvis Walker Spin Royale rod, which was 6,6" 3-5kg and wasn't to flimsy, but still had enough flex that it wasn't like a brittle stick... Also came with a Jarvis Spinfire 4500 reel... $45 combo deal. I've heard mixed reports about Jarvis, so I thought I'd get an opinion...There was also an Outdoor Expedition Firestrike rod, 6,6" 4-8kg. Rod only, but seemed decent quality, strong with plenty of flex... $30. I looked at putting a Shimano Aernos 4000 on this rood, but that is slightly over budget. If it means a decent combo though, I'm willing.

looks like rays outdoors modbury from the pics? the aernos is a good reel i have all 3 of them, bcf have the same reel but with aussie packaging named the accort xt for 80bux so its cheaper at rays. the 1000 and 2500 have 3kg drags so there ideal for smaller speices and the 1000 is perfect for throwing lures and the 4000 has 6kg drag which i use to target rays and mullies. they all have lipped spools so you can cast a mile. i can launch my 1000 about 100m with a 30gram sinker on it.as for the jarvis walker gear i'd steer clear of it. the only thing uncle jarvis has that is decent is the marado bf5000 which is back upto 39bux at k-mart and is discontinued so buy up quick if it meets ur standards. :pinch: good reel for the price i've caught mullies, snappers and rays on it and it wont break :evil: you could easily pick up a rod for around 30bux and make a decent combo just make sure you use more then 20lb mono mates line snapped when he locked up on a ray. 30lb mono or 50lb braid like me is ideal.

lol small world i just looked at the first photo that's where i work :whistle: i recognize that bulk stalk of plano tackle boxes anywhere i did make it after all. and now i do recall seeing you today, i almost ran u over with a sack truck. gimme a pm if you want the aernos i'll hook u up with staff discount.

@ just me were they the white silstar graphite rods? they look so sexy i wanted one but i already have about 8 unused rods :dry:

G'day Smokey, nah they were the these ones-it was a combo.http://www.anaconda.com.au/Product/Water/Fishing/Dynatip-Rod-and-Reel-Combo-70-2-4-kg

So I ended up with the Shimano Aernos 2500 SP which seems like a nice smooth reel, and comes with a handy 10 year warranty.I also coupled it with a rod I found in Big W. Sounds dodgy, but its actually a really nice 6,6" graphite Shimano ET special edition. Only 2-4kg, but the base is really strong and sturdy with a nice flexy end. It's also got the cork grips, so its incredibly lightweight.Spent $100 all up, quite pleased with the result :woohoo:

So I ended up with the Shimano Aernos 2500 SP which seems like a nice smooth reel' date=' and comes with a handy 10 year warranty.I also coupled it with a rod I found in Big W. Sounds dodgy, but its actually a really nice 6,6" graphite Shimano ET special edition. Only 2-4kg, but the base is really strong and sturdy with a nice flexy end. It's also got the cork grips, so its incredibly lightweight.Spent $100 all up, quite pleased with the result :woohoo:[/quote']Hey mate, did well on the ET special, they are a great rod lol, Ibe caught 3 school mulloway on mine, the biggest being a 72cm :)I have caught exactly 1million Bream on the ET special and 20million salmon trout :P hard to find a better budget rod bud.And good on Smokey For hooking you up with a nice little reel without breaking the bank... Look forward to plenty of.KGW reports from ya this winter :woohoo:
red_devil94 wrote:

So I ended up with the Shimano Aernos 2500 SP which seems like a nice smooth reel, and comes with a handy 10 year warranty.I also coupled it with a rod I found in Big W. Sounds dodgy, but its actually a really nice 6,6" graphite Shimano ET special edition. Only 2-4kg, but the base is really strong and sturdy with a nice flexy end. It's also got the cork grips, so its incredibly lightweight.Spent $100 all up, quite pleased with the result

Jack wrote:

Hey mate, did well on the ET special, they are a great rod

I agree! I actually have one of these Rods. First ever Graphite Rod. Have had this for a few years now and still hasn't let me down! Caught huge Salmon (4lb Line), Squid, Bream and even some Rugger Snapper. I just can't kill it! It is super strong and you don't have to worry about it getting a few knocks! I think I may even use it today. Well done and good luck with the new Rod! Cheers TT

Agree on the ET specail. Not a bad little shimano rod for around the $55 mark. I have been using one for the past 3 maybe 4 years as my whiting rod out of the boat and have landed plenty of other heavier species on them as well.Good value for money and comes with a decent brand name behind it. Another Ian Miller design from memory