The Snapper Are RIGHT up the port!!!?? any ideas Why ???

The tackle shops are onto it now, and reports are flying in of Snapper in some rather unusual places....Years ago, they used to say Snapps would venture right up the north arm and all through barker inlet and the port... Of course, only 20 years back pelican point saw regular catches!!! NOW they are back. Mulloway fishers are setting baits only to get monstered by Big Reds :ohmy: I have first hand accounts of Snapper all over the Port, and as hard as it is to believe,, they are here, having crazy adventures hunting and terrorising the port river system like packs of wolves!!!Why is this I wonder? I tend to think the cleaner water from industry cleaning up its act may be at a critical stage where things are getting back to normal?!? I know it ain't bull dust anyway... Far too many captures over the last few months to be a disbeliever any longer....Just need to get me one ;)

Would all have to relate to blue swimmer crabs. Is there more blue swimmer crabs swimming into the port, if so then thats what theyd be following. Youve got to analyse what food sources they are likely to be devouring.I know in the channel salmon trout are key and live are best.Maybe they are following the ST's up the system?All spawning should be over so its got to be food now that is keeping them or getting there in the first place.

well, maybe salmon trout mate, me and Mrs were in the north arm today and every second cast was a salmon trout on the plastics...(big rods out but no midday mullies). There again, the snapper I captured just north of the Port system both had a Gutfull of cab, some big legs and swimmers too... Them buggers eat some VERY big crabs hey :woohoo: a few years back I used to catch blue swimmers, cut em in half for snapper bait... Should've used em whole :laugh: I like your thinking on this UHF... It'd be food for sure, I like to think crabs, but a few months back just prior to the shitties thinning out, the port suffered a major infestation of 15-20cm sts.... It was incredible, they were thick and feeding hard.Now there's a million 23-27cm ones.... Haha probably.the same.fish got fatter maybe. The only thing against the st idea is that the same thing happens this time every year :silly: Maybe that, the drought breaking/la Nina haha.Thing is, how do you suddenly target them in a realistic way haha ???? And how long will it last ;)

They're scared of the Pros..... it's the only place they could find refuge :whistle:

Not silly aye fishie ;) if the schools that bugga off on inshore and estuary adventures are the only ones that survive pro fishing, then these adventurous snapper pass on their adventure genes and through Darwin's laws of natural selection, give it another 50 year's and maybe the only place to catch snapper is in creeks where the pro's can't go!!!!!! I do like the idea that they are escapees from the Great St Vincent Gulf Slaughter :P :whistle:

Yes snapper did frequent the Port River system years ago.. here's a snippet of some of my records from thirty years ago (have used Google Earth to make it a bit clearer snapper in the Barker Inlet opposite the St Kilda ChannelPosted ImagePosted ImageSnapper (at Night) - Usually incoming tides from dusk onwards, sharks and rays can also be hooked. Ground bait with fish heads / frames etc before the tide runs at full force. Snapper spook easily so be quiet and do not shine lights on the waterBait - fresh fillets of fish caught in the local area

I think its pretty logical for Snapper to go into the Port.Protected and plenty of food.As Jack said the ST run earlier in the season was huge and i felt that this was the reason for the many Snapper catches.The fish are slowing down now and so are the STs.I still agree that crabs are one of the best baits for snapper,but most of the fish i caught were eating the STs.I think people are underestimating how many fish were caught this year.I know of so many being caught and from the most obscure places.I cant say where for fear of losing another spot x to crowds of aspiring Snapper fishos but its fair to say that they can appear nearly anywhere in the river and many other LB spots.The fish are thinning out now but they were pretty thick when the STs were running hard a couple of months back but having said that i know its minus a couple more 10kg fish over the weekend.I reckon next year will see some great catches now that so many people realise they can be caught LB

Guaranteed by two years time those spots that are secret now will be over run with every man and his dog once word gets out. I've seen numerous secret spots along the Metro Coast and out in the Gulf become over run and all in the last couple of years :(Once fishos always remained tight lipped.... but it seems to be the opposite in this day and age of electronic media etc