Show us your fishing injuries! (GRAPHIC CONTENT)

Cleaning a Snapper I copped the big spike straight through the fleshy part on the top of my index finger.Copped my share of spikes under the nails and hooks in the fingers, but the worst and most embarrassing happened because of a bad habit I used to have. I used to always be stabbing my bait knife into anything near me when not using it. The wood on the jetty, the top of my bucket, bait bag, whatever. One day when I was sitting on the wharf, I got a massive hit and stabbed my bait knife down as I grabbed my rod, unfortunately I stabbed it straight down into the side of my leg, putting it in about an inch. To top it off I lost my rod over the side with whatever it was attached. :blush: Bloody hurt and I had to get stitches as well as a tetanus shot.

One day when I was sitting on the wharf' date=' I got a massive hit and stabbed my bait knife down as I grabbed my rod, unfortunately I stabbed it straight down into the side of my leg, putting it in about an inch. [/quote']Ummm, let me get this right! One day while fishing I plunged my knife down into my own leg? :huh: Far as I'm concerned......WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :clap::clap::clap: Oh, and can I suggest you never take up shooting, axe throwing or javelin! :laugh: Sorry fellah, but don't think I'll ever let you live this one down! :P
One day when I was sitting on the wharf' date=' I got a massive hit and stabbed my bait knife down as I grabbed my rod' date=' unfortunately I stabbed it straight down into the side of my leg, putting it in about an inch. [/quote'']Ummm, let me get this right! One day while fishing I plunged my knife down into my own leg? :huh: Far as I'm concerned......WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :clap::clap::clap: Oh, and can I suggest you never take up shooting, axe throwing or javelin! :laugh: Sorry fellah, but don't think I'll ever let you live this one down! :P
Yeah that's what everyone says. :(:blush::P On the subject of sports I also nearly shot a teacher in Archery at school, so I've given that up too. :pinch:
Guest Brent61

nice U4Loff topic but I dont do gardening as I drove a garden fork through my foot pinning me to the ground as a kid - trip to hospital still have scardont hang out washing as I cut off both index fingers climbing old clothesline as a kid - trip to hospital to have them sewn back on still have scars

new game , ''pin the tail on the snake'' :clap::clap::clap: as for U4L , geez , never admit self harm mate, they'll give you a nice soft bed with padded walls :dry: :dry: :dry: brent
One day when I was sitting on the wharf' date=' I got a massive hit and stabbed my bait knife down as I grabbed my rod' date=' unfortunately I stabbed it straight down into the side of my leg, putting it in about an inch. [/quote'']Ummm, let me get this right! One day while fishing I plunged my knife down into my own leg? :huh: Far as I'm concerned......WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :clap::clap::clap: Sorry fellah, but don't think I'll ever let you live this one down!
I couldn't agree more :whistle: :ohmy: :laugh::laugh::laugh::clap::clap::clap: Do you have any " close " fsihing buddies UG , or are they all dead by now :huh: :dry: :P
Only a few little spikes and scratches? Not one lost limb or case of permanent insanity bought on by being constantly outsmarted by a little fish? Lift ya game guys! :P I do recall once incidence a few years back. The member I "believe" from memory was Voodoofish (correct me if I'm wrong)' date=' who was spined by a stingray. The trip to hospital and subsequent testing actually showed up that he had a brain tumor he was unaware of at the time, so his unfortunate incident actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, and a life saver for him! :clap:[/quote']I read about this in SA Angler, the story was called 'the seahorse phenomenon', after getting out of hospital he went snapper fishing off of edithburgh and bagged out on snapper filled with seahorses at a ground called 'daryl's patch'
Only a few little spikes and scratches? Not one lost limb or case of permanent insanity bought on by being constantly outsmarted by a little fish? Lift ya game guys! :P I do recall once incidence a few years back. The member I "believe" from memory was Voodoofish (correct me if I'm wrong)' date=' who was spined by a stingray. The trip to hospital and subsequent testing actually showed up that he had a brain tumor he was unaware of at the time' date=' so his unfortunate incident actually turned out to be a blessing in disguise, and a life saver for him! :clap:[/quote'']I read about this in SA Angler, the story was called 'the seahorse phenomenon', after getting out of hospital he went snapper fishing off of edithburgh and bagged out on snapper filled with seahorses at a ground called 'daryl's patch'
Well Voogs did have a brain tumor after all :dry: :huh:;)

after fishn with Mog and HSVLS19 and gettin sunburnt to the shit one arvo i was just about to fillet the snapper we'd just caught, any how keepin it short hsv smacked me on tha sun burn being dicks, :pinch: :pinch: so i muckin around underarmed the filleting knife in his direction and it stabbed and stuck into his wrist :blush::blush: so he pulled it out still in shock and i drove him to the hospital for 4-6 stitches and mog ended up filleting tha fish :ohmy: cheers 4THA

2hr trip up the South Alligator river got to a nice feeder creek we used to fish a lot, mate got a nice barra which i netted for him and went to grab out of the net for him by the mouth as i had done many times.this time it jumped and imbedded 2 of the hooks on one of the sets of trebles, one hook straight into my palm and one hook locking my middle finger to my palm."large trebles on a 6" nilsie" two hr boat ride back to the ramp, then another 2 or so hrs back to Darwin hospital and another 2hrs wait at the hospital.the doctor cut the hooks apart which freed up my finger from my palm then just held the hook in my palm with a set of piers and hit the pliers with another set of pliers and out that one came.tried to do the same with the other in my finger and hit my finger with the pliers too and cut my finger as well :dry:

loading up for a trip to port hughsco2 bottle the only thing left to put in was about to take the regulator off knocked the bottle over and the safety valve on the regulator mashed the end of my toe next to the big toe,the bottle was not your typical d size as you now get it was about 4" in diameter.needless to say that the blood on the floor of the boat for the first two days was not from fish

One day when I was sitting on the wharf' date=' I got a massive hit and stabbed my bait knife down as I grabbed my rod' date=' unfortunately I stabbed it straight down into the side of my leg, putting it in about an inch. [/quote'']Ummm, let me get this right! One day while fishing I plunged my knife down into my own leg? :huh: Far as I'm concerned......WE HAVE A WINNER!!! :clap::clap::clap: Oh, and can I suggest you never take up shooting, axe throwing or javelin! :laugh: Sorry fellah, but don't think I'll ever let you live this one down! :P
reckon my late dad could beat it.. his filliting knife was razor sharp... filleting whiting, flies everywhere.. one lands on his hand.. instinct was to hit it.. so he did.. with the knife... cut the fly in half and kept going until it reached the bone of his thumb.. hospital trip and much stitches..

I have been stabbed by hooks and squid jags countless times, but thankfully not to the point where they became so far embedded in my hands I couldn't remove them! :blink: Was removing a squid who had managed to get himself well and truly hooked for my mate at Tuton on Tuesday and just as i got it off, he moved the rod, BAM straight into my finger... dripped blood for a minute or two but kept fishing...However probably my worst injury, also happened on Tuesday in the afternoon, we took out the tinny, and had been fishing for about an hour, when my friend decided he needed to pee and it was too hot, so he jumped over the side into the waist deep water.... and he loses my $40 Adidas slide sandals... being a cheap skate, I jumped in and went after them as they floated off (not having time to lift the anchor and reel in the gear) Only problem was, the bottom was absolutely covered by Razorfish! :angry: I ended up with 25 cuts on my feet, and 3 on my hands from falling down in pain.. made 28 cuts in total, 3 of which are now infected today from the mud and crap on the bottom of the ocean :evil: I'd take a picture but their all nice and covered by half a dozen fresh band-aids...

reckon my late dad could beat it.. his filliting knife was razor sharp... filleting whiting, flies everywhere.. one lands on his hand.. instinct was to hit it.. so he did.. with the knife... cut the fly in half and kept going until it reached the bone of his thumb.. hospital trip and much stitches..
Jeez ow! That's not nice, but at least I am not the only one! :P At any rate it taught me to respect my knives and that as cool as they are they're not toys.
However probably my worst injury' date=' also happened on Tuesday in the afternoon, we took out the tinny, and had been fishing for about an hour, when my friend decided he needed to pee and it was too hot, so he jumped over the side into the waist deep water.... and he loses my $40 Adidas slide sandals... being a cheap skate, I jumped in and went after them as they floated off (not having time to lift the anchor and reel in the gear) Only problem was, the bottom was absolutely covered by Razorfish! :angry: I ended up with 25 cuts on my feet, and 3 on my hands from falling down in pain.. made 28 cuts in total, 3 of which are now infected today from the mud and crap on the bottom of the ocean :evil: I'd take a picture but their all nice and covered by half a dozen fresh band-aids...[/quote']Did you get your thongs back? :P

Saw a good one one night many years ago. Didn't happen to me but I was at a colleagues place having a few ale's one night after work when I was working for the commonwealth railways in Pt Augusta. He had two sons. The Oldest was a golf freak. The youngest, a fishing nut. Anyway, the oldest was practicing his putting on the lawn while his younger brother was practicing his casting with a Squid jag. He was doing the right thing and facing away from his brother and everyone else. The young fella swung the rod back over his shoulder in preperation to cast and the Squid jag had dropped onto his older brothers shoulder. Then with an all mighty pull, the young one prepared to cast. But the jag didn't go anywhere. Except up off the shoulder and into his brothers ear. Big yelp from the older lad but it didn't stop the younger lad from trying to complete his cast! More yelps before mum got to the lad and removed the jag. Then she wanted to know how their father could let it happen and wanted to know why he didn't help when it happened. He was still wiping the tears from his eyes while pissing him self laughing!

Saw a good one one night many years ago. Didn't happen to me but I was at a colleagues place having a few ale's one night after work when I was working for the commonwealth railways in Pt Augusta. He had two sons. The Oldest was a golf freak. The youngest' date=' a fishing nut. Anyway, the oldest was practicing his putting on the lawn while his younger brother was practicing his casting with a Squid jag. He was doing the right thing and facing away from his brother and everyone else. The young fella swung the rod back over his shoulder in preperation to cast and the Squid jag had dropped onto his older brothers shoulder. Then with an all mighty pull, the young one prepared to cast. But the jag didn't go anywhere. Except up off the shoulder and into his brothers ear. Big yelp from the older lad but it didn't stop the younger lad from trying to complete his cast! More yelps before mum got to the lad and removed the jag. Then she wanted to know how their father could let it happen and wanted to know why he didn't help when it happened. He was still wiping the tears from his eyes while pissing him self laughing![/quote']Classic :laugh::laugh::laugh: Reminds me of someone I know who was at a mates place while the mate was using a circular saw that slipped, and sliced down into the guys calf muscle :pinch: :ohmy: The guy was screaming with blood pouring from the wound, when his mother came out with a bottle of PineOCleen and doused it with that :ohmy: :ohmy: :ohmy: He reckoned that was worse than the cut and cursed her like nothing on earth for it ! :pinch: :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
  • 1 month later...

I was recently fishing with prawns for bream. As I reached into the packet to extract one, I felt a sharp prick-like feeling which eventually subsided.Days later, the same finger began to throb uncontrollably. There was no obvious probelm on the exterior, however when I got my aunty (a GP) to examine it, she told me that it was infected. Apparently, part of a prawn had entered the top of my finger and had stayed lodged in there until it had created an infected wound. I ignored it at first, but the problem just didn't go away.After a week of taking anti-biotics, the infection left. :laugh: Lesson learnt: look carefully into a bag of prawns before taking one out. :clap:

• 2 weeks later...

Had none until Good Friday last year.... I fell down a cliff whilst fishing (was walking back home on a slippery path) about 10 minutes walk from my house. Ended up poised on the edge of a second drop off and everytime I moved (to try and stop the profuse bleeding from my leg) I slid a little bit further toward another long fall. Took 50 minutes for emergency crews to find me/arrive and I then required helicopter retrieval as there was absolutely no other way to get me out. had the CFS' date=' MFS, police, abulance, Helicopter and about four news crews come.Ended up destroying my right ankle, cut my hands up and dinged my daiwa combo. Didnt walk for four months and my ankle is still gimpy a year later. Managed to snap off some pics whilst I was being rescused (I asked the emergency crews if they minded)[img']http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v669/4NICK8/Fishing/22042011010.jpg[/img]

Is that the best photo you got of Miss Carli the Ambo? She's a great chick too!