Circle hooks and floating baits.

Hi allI'm wondering what peoples thoughts and experiences are with using circle hooks with floating baits ?I've been trying it on ruggers and despite some solid hits and runs I'm not hooking up :pinch: I've tried with drag set on loose and firm. Are these suited for this style of fishing :huh::unsure: Cheers :)

Guest Brent61

should be fine depending on current speed, if its really ripping throw on a light sinker.if current is very light to nothing cast a tad further away and let it just sinkcircles are killa hooksbrent

AFF, you probably know.I hate circle hooks mate, but there again I'm a mega spazz and like to strike at anything like madman :silly:My much more sedate fishing buddy stu uses circles all the time and a few months ago we were fishing for schoolies in some water where my usual technique of pinning baits to.the ground wasn't ideal.... Way too un natural in what was very shallow area. So we suspended California squid baits under squid floats (white&orange variety) also used live sts in the same manner although they mis behave a bit :ohmy: Any way, I hooked the bait with my twin owner cutting point standard hooks and stu threaded a single gamma circle.The fish submerging the big squid floats was setting his circle I reckon ;) and I had the same conversion rate with my cutting points (highly recommend them hooks that tackle world Salisbury suggested for this very style of fishing).Anyway good luck, and long story short, I've seen circles under float work well on school mulloway in shallow trenches :)

Me and boyo have caught a few good size ruggers from 45-55cm on unweighted circle hook baits. Seemed to work a treat.These reds were hitting it hard and fast and would steam off with the bait so hard that as soon as the loose line was taken up that the hooks were immediately set in their mouths.so yep if the fish are swallowing the bait and running with it it works nicely but if they are just picking at it then it may not be as effective. :cheer: :cheer:

AFF' date=' you probably know.I hate circle hooks mate, but there again I'm a mega spazz and like to strike at anything like madman :silly:My much more sedate fishing buddy stu uses circles all the time and a few months ago we were fishing for schoolies in some water where my usual technique of pinning baits to.the ground wasn't ideal.... Way too un natural in what was very shallow area. So we suspended California squid baits under squid floats (white&orange variety) also used live sts in the same manner although they mis behave a bit :ohmy: Any way, I hooked the bait with my twin owner cutting point standard hooks and stu threaded a single gamma circle.The fish submerging the big squid floats was setting his circle I reckon ;) and I had the same conversion rate with my cutting points (highly recommend them hooks that tackle world Salisbury suggested for this very style of fishing).Anyway good luck, and long story short, I've seen circles under float work well on school mulloway in shallow trenches :)[/quote']thats my Ardrossan rig right there float and to 6/0's snelled non cirlces... However am going to try circles and unweighted next time im down there... and its the season :D :D :D

AFF are you drifting the baits with a baitcaster or spin reel?And when your stripping line are you keeping in contact with the bait or is there a couple of loose loops of line floating on the surface?If your keeping in contact with the bait as its drifting down keep the reel in gear and strip the line instead of free spooling once your bait is in the area the fish are holding. If they hit it dont strike just let the drag hook them. Once your rod is bending and the line is coming off the reel then your hooked up.And as nickmav says keep the hook point and gape clear or you will keep missing hits. The more slack you give the fish the more chance it will swallow the circle instead of pinning on the lip.Cheers