Tournament Fishing Bycatch

Gday again ladsI was just reading through a few articles and it got me thinking. When you fish in a tournament are you allowed to keep any bycatch for the table?You read a lot about blokes catching flatties etc during bream competitions and I'm not sure if you would be allowed to keep them or not. I'm not familiar with the rules and regulations :)If you fished a donut for the competition it would be a bit of a slap in the face if you weren't allowed to at least come home with dinner!Any thoughts?CheersSquid

most if not all tourno anglers when in a comp would be concentrating on the point winning species, by catch for the most part is released as empty eskys in the boat would be frowned upon & take up valuable roomthe live wells would be resevered for the point winners as you would not want them running out of oxygenated water!

There's nothing in the tournament rules about taking bycatch, so's ya can go ya hardest!In having said that, Projoe does raise a coupla very valid points.You wouldn't want your bycatch in the livewell taking up valuable space. Carrying empty eskys onboard does look a little suspicious on a tournament boat (unless you have your lunch and drinks in it). Fishing against the clock for target species on comp day, I wouldn't be wasting time worrying about bycatch, as that can be reserved for a practice day or leasurely day out on the water.When a good tournament result could net you around $1000 or more, I guess the choice is up to you. How serious are you about the tournament.....are you pushing for a podium finish, or is that mulloway worth taking time on your light bream gear to fill your freezer....also, how would your non boater or tournament partner feel about it if you lose the chance at a winning finish?I have a c/console, so as well as my livewell, the seat on my boat is also a 96 litre esky. This is checked prior to the start of the comp, so if I were to catch something spectacular and tasty on the day, there would be nothing stopping me from chucking it into the esky/seat....I wouldn't be carrying ice on a tournament day though, so I dont know how fresh it would be by days end.

Being "totally ignorant" of the tournament scene :blush: how much "by-catch" is there?Minimal ?.........abundant?............depends on the water fished?Just curious' date='that's all ;)[/quote']Usually waaaaay to many ST's this time of year, hard to get your lure past them sometimes, plus you sometimes get flatties, whiting, puffers,even had mullet, and in my case a cormorant last comp

Was catching flathead to 70cm every 3rd cast at the Daiwa-Hobie bream grand final last year in N.S.W needed a bigger livewell if i was gonna take any lolSambo

Easy fixed sambo...get a bigger tub :P Question...is there a bigger yak than the one you are running ??? :huh: WB...we may not have done that well in the comp but geez those ST's were fun ! :clap: fish a cast on anything we threw at them

Cheers for the multitude of responses lads :)It's not something you hear much about really. But yeah I was just intereste to know :)Although at the end of a days tournment fishing i'm sure the last thing you'd want to do it clean and prep a fish!How big does a livewell have to be for a yak comp sambo?

Min 25L i think is the rules.... I use a Hobie livewell Sambo