Anyone know what type of fish this is?

UnidentifiedFish.jpgHey everyone, i was fishing on the breakwater around Edithburgh boat ramp on Monday and i pulled this up. i caught it on a number 4 hook with a cockle bait on the bottom. i have had a look through my fishing books and the only thing that i think it looks like is a black drummer but according to my book they are only on the east coast so im not sure if that is what it is. i caught a smaller one which i put back so it wasnt just the one that i caught. anyone caught this fish before or recognise it?

had to reply to this topic after not been on for a while haha deffs zebrafish heaps of them at edithburgh darker colour is cos the water at the boat ramp is pretty mucky brown... ok on the chew taste a bit like bream but need to be bled then cleaned asap otherwise youll get a weedy taint in the flesh ;)

Do a lot of spearfishing and that is the second most common fish after the silver drummer that I see. Alright to eat but definately not a target species and wouldnt waste a shot on one. Heard people call them zebra fish and ludrick but I reckon its just another type of drummer lol

having looked at the link AFF put up its hard to tell the difference' date=' chances are that it is a zebra fish i caught but looking at the photos uploaded by various people the zebra fish seems to have a yellow tail and fins? is it just the photo or is that a common characteristic of the zebra fish?[/quote']I have no idea :lol:
or a luderick? but there an eastern coast species aswell so yeh.... hmmm
thats what i thought when i pulled it from the water but it sorta looks like a cross between a luderick and a drummer. if it helps it had a red throat which isnt clear in the photo but yea' date=' a really red throat[/quote']I'm thinking a drummer..........Luderick always have 11 stripes ;)
having looked at the link AFF put up its hard to tell the difference' date=' chances are that it is a zebra fish i caught but looking at the photos uploaded by various people the zebra fish seems to have a yellow tail and fins? is it just the photo or is that a common characteristic of the zebra fish?[/quote']Reckon it's just the photo mate. The yellow tail may be the case when they are in like pristine waters.All the zebras I've hooked at outer harbor have been dark without any flash yellow tail. I.think.the.zebras are really close.relative. Of the drummer (very similar face/mouth). I reckon they go.reasonably hard, like a bream really... My Mrs caught a huuuge one a few years back and it did a little run and really gave her a good little battle.

I'm calling it as a small drummer...http://www.whatfish.com.au/drummer.htm

As per their website disclaimerThis website accepts no responsibility for the completeness or accuracy of any of the information ;) As can be seen from their first picture, the first fish is actually a luderick Girella tricuspidata. The actual original picture can bee seen here.http://australianmuseum.net.au/Luderick-Girella-tricuspidata