local fish tagging

As a prologue to my mulloway that didn't survive on Saturday morning, it was tagged!!! I called the number and they called back today. They will get back to me with the size and date of first capture, but off the.top of his head, the guy reckons it's likely one of Darrens many tagged mulloway... Likely 2-3years ago. Sorry I couldn't keep the tag going, but hopefully the data will be useful :) ALso, I.didn't realise so many tags were about locally, so I'm making the necessary inquiries to join an ANSA club to qualify for my own kit.... Reckon that would be a pretty cool thing to do, to fish for.fun and give something back to the fish (excuse the pun) in the form of research/data that can be used.to help them and rec fishing.Anyone know more about tagging, or care to comment??? Also, any really cool stories of tagged fish???I was talking to the guy who reckons they have caught the odd SA tagged fish a long way from hope...example: snapper in ESPERANCE :woohoo: and port Philip Bay :woohoo: seems the odd fish/school go on big adventures now and then

Hey Jack,That is precisely what SA RED TAGGERS is all about! Mulloway is on our list as is Snapper, Australian Salmon, King George Whiting, Tuna, Black Bream, Yellowtail Kingfish, Murray Cod, Callop and Whaler Sharks.We keep our own database as well as through SAFTAG. There is no requirement for you to fully disclose your fishing location. Generally we use a reference location and nothing further. Anglers generally give us degrees & minutes, leaving seconds blank.The cost is $19.00 to join ANSA and SART and $45.00 to purchase your tagging kit. Initially you are issued 10 tags but more are readily available through SAFTAG.

Hey Jack' date='That is precisely what SA RED TAGGERS is all about! Mulloway is on our list as is Snapper, Australian Salmon, King George Whiting, Tuna, Black Bream, Yellowtail Kingfish, Murray Cod, Callop and Whaler Sharks.We keep our own database as well as through SAFTAG. There is no requirement for you to fully disclose your fishing location. Generally we use a reference location and nothing further. Anglers generally give us degrees & minutes, leaving seconds blank.The cost is $19.00 to join ANSA and SART and $45.00 to purchase your tagging kit. Initially you are issued 10 tags but more are readily available through SAFTAG.[/quote']If SA red taggers does snaps, mullies, bream and salmon, then I'm in, cos that all I catch... Oh and loads of shitties lol.I'll hunt down the elusive Urhooked fish and have him sign me up... Easy.done, cos I have no time for.club functions etc (unfortunately) so SA red taggers it is GREAT.On the issue of location though, hopefully they are happy with "Port River System", as you Kay appreciate, I don't use a GPS around there (only a plotter sometimes to scrape into shallow creek entrances) and any other description of location gives things away a little bit. Anyway, the dude I gave location to was happy with my description, so hopefully we can work something out... Glad you mention it Boyo, because if.you listen to.UHF, you would think Snapper are the ONLY fish in our waters... :laugh:

LoL! Snapper are a great fish but by no means are they the only great fish in our oceans! Otherwise DENR and the Green faction wouldn't want to stop us fishing!Port River System is fine by me. Don't want to know exactly where fish are caught. Just general area for reporting purposes only.And Jack, Welcome aboard!

what is the tag number Jack?

SA06998. Sadly I.just.found out you caught him only December 2011 :( but he had put on 10cm in 5 months :) healthy.fish mate, with a belly full of food and fat as. I'm told its one of your many local fish mate.Wnot go to waste its fed my family of four two big feasts so far and heaps left, also, I'm going to do my best to get some tags in from now on. ;)

Great work on tagging that Mully and many more Mr Balls.Fantastic stuff guys!God I love this tagging caper, its so rewarding. You are going to be a fantastic tagger Jack Im sure. Qld is miles ahead of us in regards to ANSA tagging, but with more capable and concerned SA anglers taking this up, we are sure to tag more and more fish which can only be good news for the future.

Great work on tagging that Mully and many more Mr Balls.Fantastic stuff guys!God I love this tagging caper' date=' its so rewarding. You are going to be a fantastic tagger Jack Im sure. Qld is miles ahead of us in regards to ANSA tagging, but with more capable and concerned SA anglers taking this up, we are sure to tag more and more fish which can only be good news for the future.[/quote']Can ya stick up a number and or web address for us mate???P.s Mr Balls sir, you tell me where you tagged your fish and I'll tell ya where I captured it :P:laugh: :laugh: :P
what is the tag number Jack?
SA06998. Sadly I.just.found out you caught him only December 2011 :( but he had put on 10cm in 5 months :) healthy.fish mate' date=' with a belly full of food and fat as. I'm told its one of your many local fish mate.Wnot go to waste its fed my family of four two big feasts so far and heaps left' date=' also, I'm going to do my best to get some tags in from now on. ;)[/quote'']Typically in other fish ive had recaptured the normal growth rate has been around 1.1 to 1.2cm per month.
As a prologue to my mulloway that didn't survive on Saturday morning' date=' it was tagged!!! I called the number and they called back today. They will get back to me with the size and date of first capture, but off the.top of his head, the guy reckons it's likely one of Darrens many tagged mulloway... Likely 2-3years ago. Sorry I couldn't keep the tag going, but hopefully the data will be useful :) ALso, I.didn't realise so many tags were about locally, so I'm making the necessary inquiries to join an ANSA club to qualify for my own kit.... Reckon that would be a pretty cool thing to do, to fish for.fun and give something back to the fish (excuse the pun) in the form of research/data that can be used.to help them and rec fishing.Anyone know more about tagging, or care to comment??? Also, any really cool stories of tagged fish???I was talking to the guy who reckons they have caught the odd SA tagged fish a long way from hope...example: snapper in ESPERANCE :woohoo: and port Philip Bay :woohoo: seems the odd fish/school go on big adventures now and then[/quote']If you don't want to join a club but still want to tag fish.....NSW fisheries provides tagging kits.I was speaking to NSW fisheries a little while back after i caught a tagged samson. Told them i was interested in tagging but didnt want to join a club and they said no worries....they posted me out a whole tagging kit for free.Kit contained about 50 tags plus tagging needle, cards, brochures etc etc.
Hey Jack' date='That is precisely what SA RED TAGGERS is all about! Mulloway is on our list as is Snapper, Australian Salmon, King George Whiting, Tuna, Black Bream, Yellowtail Kingfish, Murray Cod, Callop and Whaler Sharks.[/quote']Boyington, just a quick question mate,tagging Murray Cod, and Callop? who authorises this? normally in the freahwater a scientific researchers licence is required to tag wild native fish.or are you talking about private dam fish?cheers
Hey Jack' date='That is precisely what SA RED TAGGERS is all about! Mulloway is on our list as is Snapper' date=' Australian Salmon, King George Whiting, Tuna, Black Bream, Yellowtail Kingfish, Murray Cod, Callop and Whaler Sharks.[/quote'']Boyington, just a quick question mate,tagging Murray Cod, and Callop? who authorises this? normally in the freahwater a scientific researchers licence is required to tag wild native fish.or are you talking about private dam fish?cheers
Just did some googling and im not sure that fish tagging fits the definition. :dry: You may require a 'scientific licence' under section 132C of the National Parks and Wildlife Act if you wish to undertake an activity or project for research, education or conservation purposes that is likely to result in one or more of the following:Harm to any protected fauna, or to an animal that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. Picking of any protected native plant, or any plant that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. You will need a licence if you plan to collect voucher specimens for identification purposes, pick cuttings or whole plants, or collect seed. Damage to critical habitat.Damage to a habitat of a threatened species, an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. Research within the NPWS reserve system.
Hey Jack' date='That is precisely what SA RED TAGGERS is all about! Mulloway is on our list as is Snapper' date=' Australian Salmon, King George Whiting, Tuna, Black Bream, Yellowtail Kingfish, Murray Cod, Callop and Whaler Sharks.[/quote'']Boyington, just a quick question mate,tagging Murray Cod, and Callop? who authorises this? normally in the freahwater a scientific researchers licence is required to tag wild native fish.or are you talking about private dam fish?cheers
Just did some googling and im not sure that fish tagging fits the definition. :dry: You may require a 'scientific licence' under section 132C of the National Parks and Wildlife Act if you wish to undertake an activity or project for research, education or conservation purposes that is likely to result in one or more of the following:Harm to any protected fauna, or to an animal that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. Picking of any protected native plant, or any plant that is a threatened species or is part of an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. You will need a licence if you plan to collect voucher specimens for identification purposes, pick cuttings or whole plants, or collect seed. Damage to critical habitat.Damage to a habitat of a threatened species, an endangered population or an endangered ecological community. Research within the NPWS reserve system.
Cheers Mr Balls :) I know you definately need a scientific researchers lic in VIC and NSW to tag freshwater natives because theres a fair amount of training involved. Would not suprise me that PIRSA get rec fishos to do their work for them without any training though!
Cheers Mr Balls :) I know you definately need a scientific researchers lic in VIC and NSW to tag freshwater natives because theres a fair amount of training involved. Would not suprise me that PIRSA get rec fishos to do their work for them without any training though!
Hey Mr Balls and Pirahna, Just letting you know that I am reading these comments with interest, as I suspect that the list of species provided above would have been straight out of the ANSA approved species list for tagging.I will contact SAFTAG who runs ANSA tagging in SA to confirm these two species are indeed taggable in this state. Please stay tuned.BrettPresSART

Interesting, is there training/equipment provided for those that intend to take that option?Tagging a large cod has a fair bit to it, with sedation methods, handling, and bringing the fish out of sedation and knowing when it's able to be released sucessfully ect ect not to mention that the current SA fishing regs would have to be broken to do it properly ie, no removal of cod from the water.can of worms maybe :whistle:

Respectfully, Piranha, as a predominantly Salt-Water angler, I am unable to provide any further insight as far as tagging cod goes. I have fished freshwater and only ever caught Carp.According to PIRSA regs, yep, Cod are not to be taken out of the water. I do know that tags can be placed in fish whilst they are kept in the water. Although determining the actual length can be difficult. But if one is to consider that Cod are not to be removed from the water under any circumstance, how is it that people are photographed whilst holding their catch? Regs may be different interstate, but the pictures I have seen are of fish caught in SA. Either way, tagging Cod is just as big of a can of worms as photographing your catch. Unless of course it remains in the water. Please, keep in mind, that, as previously stated, I am predominately a Salt-Water angler and thus, what I have written is MY THOUGHTS / OPINION only. Stating that Murray Cod and Callop are listed on the approved species for tagging was noted from the ANSA / SAFTAG Tagging Manual and has been confirmed by the head of SAFTAG.

Interesting' date=' is there training/equipment provided for those that intend to take that option?Tagging a large cod has a fair bit to it, with sedation methods, handling, and bringing the fish out of sedation and knowing when it's able to be released sucessfully ect ect not to mention that the current SA fishing regs would have to be broken to do it properly ie, no removal of cod from the water.can of worms maybe :whistle:[/quote']dont think we'll have to worry about tagging cod all that often here to be honest.In any case with our states laws it doesnt really make it feasible to get an accurate measurement, so id just leave them alone.

Is there really any need to tag species of fish that are already well researched eg snapper, murray cod, bluefin tuna, whiting etc?Fair enough tagging samson fish, kingfish, blue morwong etc because they are commercially low value species in SA that have had little research conducted on them.I don't see the point of tagging a fish just for the sake of it.

Hi All. Just a couple of notes to clarify some doubts, hereabouts.1) Cod and Callop are on the approved list. However, we DO NOT encourage tagging of fish outside normal open seasons etc. If the regs suggest that Cod must not be taken, then they shouldn't be targetted. Generally Cod have a closed season to reduce stress to breeding females so they shouldn't be messed with at all. ATM we have regs that seem to be a reaction to low river levels due to an extended drought. Some thinking suggests that at these times Cod are too easy a target so rules have been put in place to protect them. Taggers are expected to follow the letter of the law as well as the spirit of the law. All the same if a tagger was trolling for Callop and hooked a small Cod we'd not get upset if he quickly placed a tag in it without removing it from the water. For information, NO COD, have been tagged by ANSA taggers since 2008.2) Tagging provides stacks of information. Apart from the obvious movements (or lack thereof) and growth rates we can also make educated guesses at how hard a fishery is fished. If, for instance, in Gulf St. Vincent 15% of tagged snapper are recaptured but in Spencer Gulf only 5% are recaptured then it would be fair to say that GSV is fished harder than SG.If over time, Mulloway recapture rates reduced from say 10% to 3% then we could make a good case for increasing bag limits.The ANSA Saftag program is a long term program. We've been tagging fish continuously since 1998. ALL the tagging programs run by Governments in SA were short term programs aimed mainly at predicting migrations etc. The Gov't has never been in a position to assess fishery health except by monitoring commercial catch rates. We hope to eventually have enough data, spread over decades, so that we can make informed scientific arguments when fish stock patterns change.3) Nanman suggested that it might not be very useful to tag fish that are already well researched. Most of the research that has been done is now out of date because fisheries have changed and research methods have changed even more. For instance, traditional thinking has Snapper migrating up the gulfs to breed in Spring and then back out to sea (where?) in Autumn. Our tag records suggest that gulf Snapper don't move much at all. Fish outside the gulfs do, however, migrate as far east as Port Philip Bay and as far west as Esperance. A case could be made that we have 4 separate populations of Snapper - 1) East 2)GSV 3) SG 4) West. Recent DNA research is making similar assumptions. Currently it would seem that although our Snapper stocks are very closely related there seems to be only random mixing of the stocks rather than annual breeding migrations. Much like Humans that were born on this side of the gulf tend to stay and breed on this side of the gulf, while only a few move or breed elsewhere we expect that only a few Snapper move out of their comfort/feeding zone.

There has been a suggestion that interested persons who do not wish to become involved with a club contact NSW fisheries for free tagging kits. I would think that we would need to discourage obtaining tagging gear from interstate as the data would then be kept interstate rather than within SA. Does SAFTAG get this information sent to it? What would be the point in NSW fisheries being the primary data repository for SA tagged fish? When we have a local identity here in SA that is more than capable of managing said data? Surely it doesn't come down to the cost involved in obtaining tagging gear in SA?

There has been a suggestion that interested persons who do not wish to become involved with a club contact NSW fisheries for free tagging kits. I would think that we would need to discourage obtaining tagging gear from interstate as the data would then be kept interstate rather than within SA. Does SAFTAG get this information sent to it? What would be the point in NSW fisheries being the primary data repository for SA tagged fish? When we have a local identity here in SA that is more than capable of managing said data? Surely it doesn't come down to the cost involved in obtaining tagging gear in SA?

I'm guessing NSW fisheries operates an Australia wide tagging program.I recently caught a 30kg samson fish with a tag. It was tagged by the Adelaide Gamefishing Club. The Adelaide Gamefishing Club obviously gets their tags from NSW Fisheries.A representative from NSW fisheries rang me up to get more details about the tagged samson and chatting to him i said i'd like to get involved in fish tagging but didn't want to join a fishing club.He said no worries mate i'll send you out all the gear. A week later a complete tagging kit with instructions arrived in the post.Its just an option for interested persons who don't want to join a club....thats all.
Hi All. Just a couple of notes to clarify some doubts' date=' hereabouts.1) Cod and Callop are on the approved list. However, we DO NOT encourage tagging of fish outside normal open seasons etc. If the regs suggest that Cod must not be taken, then they shouldn't be targetted. Generally Cod have a closed season to reduce stress to breeding females so they shouldn't be messed with at all. ATM we have regs that seem to be a reaction to low river levels due to an extended drought. Some thinking suggests that at these times Cod are too easy a target so rules have been put in place to protect them. Taggers are expected to follow the letter of the law as well as the spirit of the law. All the same if a tagger was trolling for Callop and hooked a small Cod we'd not get upset if he quickly placed a tag in it without removing it from the water. For information, NO COD, have been tagged by ANSA taggers since 2008.2) Tagging provides stacks of information. Apart from the obvious movements (or lack thereof) and growth rates we can also make educated guesses at how hard a fishery is fished. If, for instance, in Gulf St. Vincent 15% of tagged snapper are recaptured but in Spencer Gulf only 5% are recaptured then it would be fair to say that GSV is fished harder than SG.If over time, Mulloway recapture rates reduced from say 10% to 3% then we could make a good case for increasing bag limits.The ANSA Saftag program is a long term program. We've been tagging fish continuously since 1998. ALL the tagging programs run by Governments in SA were short term programs aimed mainly at predicting migrations etc. The Gov't has never been in a position to assess fishery health except by monitoring commercial catch rates. We hope to eventually have enough data, spread over decades, so that we can make informed scientific arguments when fish stock patterns change.3) Nanman suggested that it might not be very useful to tag fish that are already well researched. Most of the research that has been done is now out of date because fisheries have changed and research methods have changed even more. For instance, traditional thinking has Snapper migrating up the gulfs to breed in Spring and then back out to sea (where?) in Autumn. Our tag records suggest that gulf Snapper don't move much at all. Fish outside the gulfs do, however, migrate as far east as Port Philip Bay and as far west as Esperance. A case could be made that we have 4 separate populations of Snapper - 1) East 2)GSV 3) SG 4) West. Recent DNA research is making similar assumptions. Currently it would seem that although our Snapper stocks are very closely related there seems to be only random mixing of the stocks rather than annual breeding migrations. Much like Humans that were born on this side of the gulf tend to stay and breed on this side of the gulf, while only a few move or breed elsewhere we expect that only a few Snapper move out of their comfort/feeding zone.[/quote']They're all really good points.I'll pop the occasional tag into snapper, trevally etc as well then.

here's a pic of the tagging kit i recently received from nsw fisheries.IMG_20120423_224743.jpgThe brochure says its a game fish tagging program and is the largest saltwater tagging program of its kind in the world. Its been operating since 1973.The tags ive been provided with are are called pelagic tags and are recommened for species such as wahoo, cobia, tuna, kingfish, samson fish etcIMG_20120423_231326.jpgBillfish and sharks have different types of tags.I assume non pelagics have a slightly different type of tag although the tags ive got will probably be fine for larger non pelagics species such as snapper and mulloway.