Nasty little critters.

River Monsters did a show on the spread of Snakeheads in the US, i hope they dont make their way over here. It also did one on the Pacu and its impact on Papua New Guinean waterways where it was introduced, it ate all the weed which is where crocodiles breed which subsiquently affected the number of baby crocodiles. it annoys me that this is even a problem, what sort of idiot would still think introducing species to different places is a good idea...kane toads, carp, redfin, camels to name but a few that have become problems in this country. the fact that alot of the fish in this article are fresh water means that they would have to be brought here, that is the worst part of the whole situation

This i think is just the begining.I reckon in the next few years you are going to see a lot more of this sort of thing happening.very little control of what goes on around the coastline of our great country.People coming in through the back door[ so as to speak] and no one realy knows what coming in on those old boats they might be able to burn them but only to the water line then they sink whats left and who knows whats in,on or under the hull when it goes to the bottom, and i am only talking about the boats that are found.Its a well known fact that a lot of fisherman from nth of Aust come here illegaly to fish and we will never no whats dropped off or left behind,food for thought do you think. CHRIS...........

The snakeheadis a fish that has invaded American fresh water systems .In some systems it has taken over completly eating all the native fish and anything that is there that swims.Foxtell had a special on the subject not so long ago showing a tinny going down a river and these fish were actualy jumping out of the water and into the boat as well jumping in the air behind the boat, they are in the river system in their millions and apparently there is no known way to control them.

The snakeheadis a fish that has invaded American fresh water systems .In some systems it has taken over completly eating all the native fish and anything that is there that swims.Foxtell had a special on the subject not so long ago showing a tinny going down a river and these fish were actualy jumping out of the water and into the boat as well jumping in the air behind the boat' date=' they are in the river system in their millions and apparently there is no known way to control them.[/quote']are you sure the jumping fish aren't a species of Carp Khombi ?Thats what I've seen anyway :)

Hi ,having done some research on these things it does not appear to to be related to carp, but i cant be 100% sure.They are a freshwater water fish and are native to Africa and asia and can grow up to 1 mtr in length, they have no known preditors and feed on other species including crustations.they have large teeth unlike carp and were introduced into USA by an asian who was later prosicuted for doing so.It can live out of water for up to 4 days.According to Wikipedia it is freshwater perciform fish from the family Channidea, it can also live in water temp ranging from 0 to 30dg cel.There has been unconfirmed reports of sitings in the topend. They are also known as a good food source hence their introduction into various countries.In the USA some conties have put a bounty on them to try and reduce their numbers.cheers chris

River Monsters did a show on the spread of Snakeheads in the US' date=' i hope they dont make their way over here. It also did one on the Pacu and its impact on Papua New Guinean waterways where it was introduced, it ate all the weed which is where crocodiles breed which subsiquently affected the number of baby crocodiles. it annoys me that this is even a problem, what sort of idiot would still think introducing species to different places is a good idea...kane toads, carp, redfin, camels to name but a few that have become problems in this country. the fact that alot of the fish in this article are fresh water means that they would have to be brought here, that is the worst part of the whole situation[/quote']You're exactly right mate. If these introduced species enter our systems, they will never be the same. Khombi, in the River Monsters snakehead episode, there were jumping fish shown in a river and they had completely taken over, competing for food and damaged native stocks. They were called Silver Carp I'm pretty sure

I will do more research and see if there is a conection between the two species of fish ie.snakehead and silver carp.I would hate to think that these mongral fish could ever get into Ausi water systems and create the sort damage that is being done in USA Will get back to you all as soon as i can cheers ,Khombi.......

Have tried to get cnnection between silver carp and snakehead fish but i am unable to do so,I am fairly sure there is no connection between the two eccept they are both fresh water fish, one having large teeth and the other not although,it has some sort of teeth a the back of the mouth . Will attempt to find more imfo if you wish.Also there appears to be more than one type of carp in our river systems.Some people say they eat river weed and some say they do not,I will also try to find out which is correct Cheers....Khombi. :unsure: