Cheers everyone for ya input.So far I've tried 3 metal slugs...[ul] [li]Gillies white bait (one of the small ones) caught a few ST's :)[/li] [li]Gillies Pilchard (30g) caught a few ST's :)[/li] [li]Halco Twisty Chrome (30g) also caught a few ST's[/li][/ul]I like the metal slugs, have to try one of those Raiders, they just look cool.I think this year my mission will be to catch an ST / decent Salmon on the weirdest metal shiny thing I can come up with :laugh:

I've had a heap of fun launching gulp jerkshads on half oz jigheads at schools of larger salmon. But you really can't go past anything metal ;)The one i personally use is gillies pillies. All sizes and not too expensive :)Generally i now use a 2-4kg rod with a 2500 spooled with 8lb and a 10-15gm gillies pilly. You can cast them a mile :) Makes any salmon a HEAP of fun!

Gday Guys.Well just spent a weekend at Port Vincent and did some Salmon Flicking. Got up early at the High Tide and threw cubes of Pillies, Aniseed Nuts, Pellets and also drizzled Tuna Oil. Getting a strong stream going anad managed a few times to get the resident Salmon School to do there 'morning run.'I was flicking this Lure around through the Stream and picked up many fat and large Salmon/ STs. They were ripper fun following and smacking the lure and all the while me trying to stop them on 4lb Braid and a 2 - 4 kg Rod! Cool!Here is the Lure. The Berkley Frenzy Flicker Shad in Blue Tiger. Cheers Guys and good luck with your Salmon endeavors! TTPosted Image

Quick side question on the topic of lures; I've been considering changing the trebles on my lure for single circle hooks. Any advice? I was thinking of removing the front treb entirely and just running one circle on the back because I'm sick of how much damage the trebs do to a fish's mouth when I am not going to keep them.Is it as simple as just replacing them?

U4LI agree with talbo - don't bother with the circle hooks, as they're not designed for that particular purpose. Here's a couple of options you might like to try, depending on your lure:SingleHooksforLures.JPGAs you can see, one style of hook has its eye at a 90 degree angle compared to the other. Feel free to experiment with hook size to make sure you don't upset the action of the lure.Hope this helps...Cheersaf

As far as salmon lures, like some have stated, raiders or any other cheap metal slugs. When the onshore wind is up around 20 knots or more I'll go to a Haw River Tackle 2oz fatty stingsilver, they're a nice squat slug with no flat sides and cast into the wind really well, gotta get them from the US though.Also, circle hooks work great on metal slugs for salmon, I use Eagle Claw Lazer Sharp ones, they have a slightly bigger eye than others and can be used on a split ring without binding up, always hook them in the mouth and keeps them on the hook during the fight but easy as to unhook and barely any damage to the fish. ;)

• 2 years later...