I mainly bait fish from the surf but always attach a soft plastic or surf popper above the bait so when you reel in there is always something that a fish will grab as well as getting a plastic out a fair distance. This has worked more often than not.

If I just use lures then definately metals for casting out. No particular type other than heavy enough to cast out well with. I do remove the trebles & replace with single hooks though with similar hooks as mentioned above.

Tried the squidgy 70mm pro flick bait Slimey (greenish coloured one) the other day for ST and worked well. Tried a chrome twisty and piece of pilchard but all my catches were on the squidgy....and I'm normally skeptical about the SP thing lol.

Used a size 4 hook with a small bit of weight in it. Ok to cast out in calm to mild conditions but not much in terms of distance which isn't a big deal I guess for ST but can be testing at times.

I exclusively use raiders, gyro jigs and a metal called mariba, or Maria? I'm not sure if that's what it's called? But a great lure!

Anyway, does anyone on here use anything apart from metals at waitpinga? I find the dumping waves too big to throw plastics

Maria's. And yeah they're a great little metal lure and not too pricey either.

Anyone using Yo-Zuri sliders?

I have one... lost one last season after a knot come loose after a couple of hours casting.... needless to say there was a few swear words spoken as i watched a $24 lure ping off into the distance.... :lol:

Duel Adagio 125mm heavy is my favourite, attach a couple of size 5 decoy jigging hooks to them and the salmon will smash em!

any colour works and have gone through a few myself and at over $25 a pop I better make aure I get some stronger line to stop snapping on the cast or learn some better knots!

lines tight

• 2 weeks later...

well i'm not sure about the larger salmon, but on the lil' ones (salmon trout), i've had really good results with a couple of the 'Strike Pro' hard bodies, in the 4gram size (about 40mm in length).

the two colours that have been most successful so far have been the;

black top, gold sides, with orange belly,

and,

pale white body with bright green top.

these are suspending deep divers (1.5m ish), with a faster & narrower swim action, and so far the small owner trebbles have been good.

i'm sure there are lots of other good ones, but these have been the best for me. no doubt bigger/stronger ones are needed for bigger fish.

• 1 month later...

Not sure y the pic keeps coming out upside down... Don't know what it's called, but had the most fun with this popper! Explosive hits!! I've found you can really fire them up with surface noise! I normally use the first few casts just to make as much splashing and disturbance as I can to try imitate other salmon attacking bait.

Then slow it down abit, normally does the trick. When shutdown though, I've found long pauses work to. They often just sit looking at it for ages waiting for it to make the slightest movement and eventually can't help themselves. But I have had days that as fast as I could possibly wind, they were still catching it! Even jumping out of the water to get it as it skipped.

image.jpg