goolwa cockles or import cockles???

I bought some from a servo not long ago that weren't goolwa cockles. Not sure where they were from but they had a filthy stink to them. They weren't off either' date=' they just smelt really wrong when you opened the shell.The shells were fluted and not smooth like a goolwa pipi.[/quote']They were Katalesia sp.....mud cockles.I'm not a fan of those chinese imported things (they were calling then Chocolate cockles), and I was horrified when they came onto the market a couple of years back. My biggest concern is they are filter feeders, and heaven knows what sort of organisms/diseases they may be carrying and depositing in to our marine environment.If I cant get Australian cockles I just wont use cockles.
  • 1 month later...

mate, you gotta get down to goolwa , take a few mates, get your limit and theres 6-9 months worth of cockles.i went down at the start of this latest season and still have a few bags left, used some last week to slay some metro whiting.i love the fact that i collected them myself, its a piece of p..s bud, get onto it.nick

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
mate' date=' you gotta get down to goolwa , take a few mates, get your limit and theres 6-9 months worth of cockles.i went down at the start of this latest season and still have a few bags left, used some last week to slay some metro whiting.i love the fact that i collected them myself, its a piece of p..s bud, get onto it.nick[/quote']yeh i recently went with my uncle and we collected almost 3000 cockles(there was 6 of us though) its a blast and you can even take your rod down there collect the cockles as you need them cant get fresher than that
mate' date=' you gotta get down to goolwa ' date=' take a few mates, get your limit and theres 6-9 months worth of cockles.i went down at the start of this latest season and still have a few bags left, used some last week to slay some metro whiting.i love the fact that i collected them myself, its a piece of p..s bud, get onto it.nick[/quote'']yeh i recently went with my uncle and we collected almost 3000 cockles(there was 6 of us though) its a blast and you can even take your rod down there collect the cockles as you need them cant get fresher than that
LangleyYou might like to have a re-read of the Regulations, mate... :whistle:

yeh i recently went with my uncle and we collected almost 3000 cockles(there was 6 of us though) its a blast and you can even take your rod down there collect the cockles as you need them cant get fresher than that

Hopefully before June and over a couple of days....Bag limit is 300pp last i checked...Going to throw myself under the bus here but did you lads actually measure them?

Yeh the last thing i want to do is when i run out of cockles and am too lazy to go to goolwa it becomes more expensive for me and all you other guys i pity people who take undersized or over fish marine creatures or anything for that matter they give us fishos a bad name

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...