Beaded Spiders

No laughing Dazz and others :P I'm still a beginner. Have been mucking about tying some beaded pheasant tail spiders. Hopefully the pics come out ok still trying to work out the camera. These flies are tied on sz16 Knapek barbless hooks. Very busy tying at the mo will try and start putting up more patterns as I go , no top secret ones though :whistle: :whistle: .Cheers1fish

DSCF6460.JPG

DSCF6463.JPG

They look very fishy catchy efforts mate but a small point, and in no way a criticism, the beads generally sit right against the eye of the hook with this particular pattern, but there again, what would a poor dumb trout know about what works or doesn't? ;) I've found that the flies that are in the water the most are always the ones that catch the fish anyway ;)

They look good 1fish and those barbless Knapek hooks are very nice hooks to use aswell.Tony I hate to do this but I disagree with you about the bead being against the eye generally.I actually tie alot of my nymphs with a flash back on them and that is tied in over the top of the bead and tied in at the head. All it is is a kind of sparkly back on the fly. It also gives the nymph a slightly different posture on the drift too. Mind you I do tie a hell of alot with the bead against the eye but there is no problem either way.Cheers Dazz

Cheers guys ;) Dazz I tend to agree with you in that having the hackle over the bead gives them a different posture in the drift and when they swing up at the end to give them that irresistible emerger look.I also agree with you tonyb that the bead goes up to the eye on a more tradition Pheasant tail. This guy is more of a down and swing emerger style fly. Have attached a pic of a Pheasant tail Czech nymph I tied a few days ago on a sz12 Knapek.(getting better with the Camera :blush: )On a side note going to start tying some flies on some Tiemco 2499 Spear points see how they go.Cheers :) 1fish

DSCF6470.JPG

They look very fishy catchy efforts mate but a small point, and in no way a criticism, the beads generally sit right against the eye of the hook with this particular pattern, but there again, what would a poor dumb trout know about what works or doesn't? ;) I've found that the flies that are in the water the most are always the ones that catch the fish anyway ;)
[/quoteGot to agree with Darren on this one.It is very common to tie the bead behind the hackle on soft hackle wets,it also helps flare the hackle.Cheers Rollcast

They look good 1fish and those barbless Knapek hooks are very nice hooks to use aswell.Tony I hate to do this but I disagree with you about the bead being against the eye generally.I actually tie alot of my nymphs with a flash back on them and that is tied in over the top of the bead and tied in at the head. All it is is a kind of sparkly back on the fly. It also gives the nymph a slightly different posture on the drift too. Mind you I do tie a hell of alot with the bead against the eye but there is no problem either way.Cheers Dazz

I tend to agree with you Darren.Just one thing though mate these aren't nymphs.Spiders are soft hackle wets so no wingcase required.They are not often fished upstream so the posture on the "drift" does not apply.They are usually fished down and across( cast at 45 degrees downstream and let the current make them swing). the soft hackle provides movement which is the trigger point.The take is usually right at the end of the swing as the wet comes up through the water column.Very handy in the early stages of a caddis hatch on the evening rise before the fish get focused on the adults emerging in the surface film.Cheers Rollcast

Good job 1 fish.They would fool any trout in fast water down and across.Especially during a caddis hatch.Have you tried tying a black and peacock spider?Same tie but no tail.Use peacock hearl(2 strands tied on top of each other)for the body and black hen (not cock) hackle instead of the grizzle.This is one of my go to patterns on the ultra fussy spring creek trout on the west coast of NZ.its an old but extremely effective tie (and simple).I tie them in 16s and 18s on kamasan b175(heavy gauge) hooks.keep the hackle small ,from the eye to the point of the hook only.Most size 20's I see on this sight are over hackled and the hackle would suit a 12..Black and peacock is great tied in many different patterns including dries with a stiffer hackle.Cheers mateRollcast

Another point worth noting is that when beads are tied on down eye hooks the point "swims" upward due to the centre of gravity ,much like a jighead.This can be handy as it ensures most trout are hooked in the top lip and not the bottom jaw.This holds the fish more scurely and does less damage to the fish than hooking the hinged flexible bottom jaw.It also means nymphs ride wingcase down.I used to tie my nymphs on fulling mill nugget easy eye hooks,as the straight eye stops this happening.I soon found they were not the strongest hook and were often bent when removed from a 6LB south island brown.Also I found I suffered less snags if the fly swam point up.I don't believe the fish care if the wingcase is on the bottom as real nymphs undoubtedly tumble every which way in the current when dislodged from their hideaway.Those knapeck hooks are really popular with the competition guys as they hold very well for a barbless hook due to the bent point.Quality control is a bit average IMHO and some of the eyes aren't rolled that well.Cheers Rollcast

I tend to agree with you Darren.Just one thing though mate these aren't nymphs.Spiders are soft hackle wets so no wingcase required.Cheers RollcastI wasn't commenting on the spiders rollcast , just saying how I tie my nymphs to show it's alright to tie flies with the beads away from the eye.Cheers Dazz

Thanks for all the info Guy's some of it's probably a bit techo for my beginner brain :unsure: . It's been a lot of trial and error and a lot of time on you tube ;) I'm just starting out in the comp scene that's why I'm tying barbless and tying like a demon. We fish them down and across and nail plenty. I recently watched a video and they were fishing them up in front almost Euro nymph style and said you shouldn't fish them down and across? so totally confused now :blink: Once again thanks for all the info dude's :boot: 1Fish

I tend to agree with you Darren.Just one thing though mate these aren't nymphs.Spiders are soft hackle wets so no wingcase required.Cheers Rollcast

I wasn't commenting on the spiders rollcast ' date=' just saying how I tie my nymphs to show it's alright to tie flies with the beads away from the eye.Cheers Dazz[/quote']Sorry mate misinterpreted you.My mistake.Cheers

Ahh that's right, you have a closed season over your way don't you.Luckily we don't have to suffer that sort of thing here as trout are classed as vermin :laugh: :evil: :whistle: Hope you do well before it all shuts down B). Now I'll just go back to tying flies, got something like 500-600 to do :blink: Cheers Dazz