Well gona get in early who can tell me about this dabbing for gar buisness ,never dne it before but next summer would like to have a go at it any help on what is needed and how you go about it will be welcome ,before the summer left i had a school of i rekon 2 hundred gar at the back of my boat so i figures that if i cant catch em the normal way then ill get some other way so dabbing is the next option after that it is c4 with a 30 sec fuse and the motor running crispy :laugh:

Some tips:[ul] [li]Make sure you dab them head on otherwise they'll just swim straight out of the net.[/li] [li]Don't lurch at them by splashing the net in the water in a hurry otherwise they will dart away too.[/li] [li]Gently place the net in the water, and then take them head on. If you have a number of fish in close proximity there is no need to empty the net after every scoop. You can quite easily net up to a half dozen at at time.[/li] [li]Set the alarm on your sounder if you have one because it's quite difficult to judge the depth of water at night.[/li] [li]When you spend the night going around and around in circles it is very easy to lose your situational awareness. Be careful! Not that I've ever dabbed gar in a metro area but it would be very easy to run into another boat, pylon or other obstacles because you can become so focused on chasing the gar that you forget about what's going on around you.[/li] [/ul] Dabbing gar is a lot of fun. Even my missus, who doesn't really care too much about going fishing really enjoys dabbing for gar.

Ha ha :laugh: Even though the video is a send-up it does show really well what happens if you try to net them tail first. It also shows how much time you spend going around in circles making it pretty easy to run into stuff because can become so focused on the gar and not where you are going.crispy,40W is probably enough. We used a 45W halogen for a long time, and that was in preference to another 100W spot that we had. A light that floods as opposed to a tight spot is what you want. I currrently have one of these that I'm going to rig up for a gar light and see how it goes. cheersGlen

Hi guys i to saw that vid on utube .sort of wondered what the %^$$ he was doing trying to knock the fish out ,saw another on two guys on the east caost walking in the shallows and cleaning up even got a flounder if i knew how to bring the ebay listing up on here id show you what i am looking at but dont know how all i was going to do was set a burly trail set up the spotty and dab like that after seeing how many came around the back of the boat thought this would be the go crispy :)

Hi guys i to saw that vid on utube .sort of wondered what the %^$$ he was doing trying to knock the fish out ' date='saw another on two guys on the east caost walking in the shallows and cleaning up even got a flounder if i knew how to bring the ebay listing up on here id show you what i am looking at but dont know how all i was going to do was set a burly trail set up the spotty and dab like that after seeing how many came around the back of the boat thought this would be the go crispy :)[/quote']Try with your burley from the front to get the fish as close as possible to the stern.Best done on a dark night too ;)

One of those prawning lights is fine.... I think it's better for the light to be able to go underwater if you can, but not 100% necessary...Go out on a new moon night or very overcast (i.e. as little moon as possible) as the Gar will be higher in the water coloumn...And when netting them - make sure you go deeper than you think as the perception going under water is difficult - they are deeper than they look - get into the practice of trying to net them in the top part of the net rather than the middle otherwise you will miss them...And most of the time they are like stunned rabbits in headlights... So take your time and do it slowly and they won't move... Although on a good night it won't matter as they can be just everywhere and won't matter what you do!

cheers MW got aced on the light on ebay but it is submersible so will try for another one soon ,i was thinking about that putting the burley at the front so it drifts toward the back and setting the light either facing down into the water ar making it so it can be submersed ,a little bit tricky but some cheap manufacturing would sort something out easily at the moment gar are very small threw all the ones i caught back didnt even bother to measure you could tell just by looking at them crispy :)

When I first used to go we just used a prawning light that I had from my Coorong floundering days and it worked okay, but I found that the beam wasn't very wide so could only really be used on one side of the boat or by one person - which was okay with two of us in the boat as one drove and held the light while the other dabbed....But I now have spotlights permanently mounted on the front of the tinny which do a much better job as it means the driver doesn't have to hold a light - and they can be easily turned up to look out for obstacles...Which is another tip - ALWAYS SUSS OUT YOUR SPOT IN DAYLIGHT FIRST.... Don't go dabbing in unfamilar territory as you can come unstuck - we have had to get out while dabbing a couple of times - once at Victor and once in the Coorong.... Yes you can dab Gar in the Coorong too - we did quite well in Mundoo Channel one night - but we only mucked around we weren't too serious as we just wanted a few live baits!

Which is another tip - ALWAYS SUSS OUT YOUR SPOT IN DAYLIGHT FIRST.... Don't go dabbing in unfamilar territory as you can come unstuck!

I'd agree there for sure Mr W !Dabbing off the bay one night, well away from shore, we suddenly found ourselves skimming the top edge of one of the concrete blocks outside the jetty there :pinch: Very easy to get distracted :d/

garfish are reportedly pretty well stuffedhttp://www.strikehook.com/forum/98-sarfac/207884-sarfac-agm-2011-report#207884also note the commercial closure of 3 weeks coming through winter of this yearhttp://www.pir.sa.gov.au/pirsa/media_list/fisheries/fisheries_move_to_protect_garfish_stocksSurely a reduction of the generous recreational bag limit of 60 will likely follow?

Hi all well they say that poverty is the mother of invention so after some thought and with my trusty new spotlight for the bargain price of 28.00 from ebay ,i set out to create crispys gar light ,anyway enough of the dribble not knowing what to make it out of i looked around my workshop at things that were lying idle and hey presto i had some small pvc tube there ,hmm me thinks wonder if that would fit in me rod holders ,cut a small peice but allas just a bee knacke to big so sand it down ya fool ,so with the belty going at a zillion revs a minute i proceed to start hmm go and check ,ah a bit more me thinks at a slight taper and hey presto it fits great ,the light can be slotted into a normal rod holder although i have found they are not all the same inside diamater some taper some dont with the light set the head can be adjusted up or down to suit and also you can rotate it in the rod holder to position the light beam where you want it ,it works just as well at the side as it does at the back ,now not being content with just a boat mounted one with the removal of 1 8gauge screww and replacing the upright with a longer peice you now have a wading gar dabbing light ,all completely waterproof and by using an anderson plug i can use it if i have to work on my car or trailer at night withourt any problems at all as i just plug into my anderson plug at the rear of my vehicle and away you go see what you thinkcrispy :)sideconsulscreenandgarlight008.JPGsideconsulscreenandgarlight009.JPGsideconsulscreenandgarlight011.JPGsideconsulscreenandgarlight012.JPG

Hi again well as i said in my previous post that this is a multi purpose gar dabbing rig where you can use in the boat and whilst dabbing ,have fitted a screw type handle to it from an old drill for ease of carrying slipped some clear tube over any soldered joints to prevent any water getting on them or under the shrink tube and siliconed the ends and as i said before the removal of 1 x 8 gauge screw and remove the head peice and can be used in the boat all made from things lying around in my shed apart from the lamp itself ,peoverty is the mother of invention!crispy :)garlight001.JPGgarlight002.JPGgarlight004.JPGgarlight005.JPG

nice job crispy, but I have to ask the more experienced dabbers out there, is something like this going to provide enough light?I only ask because the boats I have seen dabbing are usually lit up like christmas trees with huge overhead floodlights.I've only attempted dabbing a couple of times using big torches (the ones that use H4 headlights) with limited success.

Hi guys well i dont know if it will put out enough light but i can only go by what i have seen on utube ect ,if it doesnt throw enough light nothing lost as it can always come in handy as a work light that draws very little power ,but if it does work then it is a bonus and ill be able to use it for all kinds of things in and out of the boat crispy :)