Favourite lures for Salmon Trout

Hey all, What lures do people prefer to use to catch salmon trout, when trolling and when stationary. There are so many to choose from, wouldn't mind a bit of help to save a heap of cash through trial and error. Currently been using prawns or cockles on either a paternoster rig or a brem/flathead running sinker rig

Yeah, I reckon soft plastics around 2-4" and metal slices are tough to beat for casting. For trolling we still use metal slices in the 15-30gm size and some old bibbed minnows that I don't know the name of. For the slices I prefer halco twisty and raiders, but I think any would do.Also try your bait unweighted or on a light weight running rig. This can also be cast and slowly retrieved like a lure. Have also caught st and Tommy's on plastic tube on a hook, so when they're on anything will do!!

lol these threads are the best. :PB) I like my trusty Daiwa Double Clutch Phantom for hard bodies. Salmon go spaz for this lure and it's also great on Snook.DoubleClutch.jpgPlastics I don't think there's much that beats the 3" Powerbait minnows, especially in the pearl watermelon colour on a clear day.110776-thumb.jpgLately I have also been having success with the Atomic Ripperz 4" Minnow.109767.jpg

The double clutches seem to have a very flat profile :huh:

They do but they also have a very tight' date=' powerful swimming action. I find ripping them past a school will get a follow or a strike pretty regularly. I also use Stimulate Salt Water spray on them so that probably helps. :Pacces_ultrabite.jpg

thanks guys really good info, I did read the other related post as well. I do have another question, what else do people troll from in the port river, I had a rig with a KG head on it, and it got smashed by something, rod made a massive noise in the holder, but it didnt hook on, any ideas what type of fish would have done that, the KG head was too big for an ST to have a go

duel mag minnow in blue pilchard goes pretty well.....but I think using plastics or halco twists is alot cheaper and probably just as effective. the duel lures are great but like $20 a pop and you get real pissed off if you snag one on the rocks!some days they wont take anything and other days they are just in a frenzy and will go anything.....can be annoying when you see 1000 salmon swim past your lure and they wont touch anything you throw at em. Thank god they arent as hard to catch as bream on lures....I would have given up by now, the salmon trout most times are pretty easy to catch.

• 4 weeks later...