My Recent By Catch!!! What's your best???

While I was out one dark and stormy morning with Jimbo "the mully machine" James, trying to capture one of these beauties;Posted Imagea funny thing happened!  I felt a bit of a snag as I was winding in for a bait re fresh.   "bit o weed" I said to the first mate mully machine Jimbo. It was very dark and stormy like I said, so it wasn't until the snag was boatside that I noticed it seemed a bit too regularly shaped to be a stick or weed for that matter. Now I've had a few odd catches with Sir Jim, like the time we rescued a couple kayakers and hauled em into the warpig :laugh: But this time it was a fishing rod!!! Oh yeah not bad.... But then when the reel emerged, I figured it would be some corroded old banga.... Nup, this thing looked sweet as."grab the torch" I say to me famous first mate. So we wipe the thing down and slowly our eyes adjust and we read the lettering on tha reel.S h I m a n o.   T w i n p o w e r ... :ohmy: gotta be kiddin'I gave the thing a rinse and though there was a slim chance this thing might be salvageable.  So, I ring my other first mate who used to be an infamous tackle rat in charge of the servicing of quality gear for outlaw fisho's :cheer:      "Stu" I said, I've got a can of inox and a reel I just pulled outta the depths of the mighty port river!!!  Can ya work yer magic???Could he what... Stripped the bugger to it's bare components, polished and sprayed and prayed and cursed and cast a few spells and hey presto!!!! One like new 2500 shimano twinpower for Jacky Boy :woohoo: :woohoo: Used it three times now and the reel is the smoothest I've owned and just as good as a bought one !!!!Hope ya's enjoyed the tale of the twinpower!!! What a catch :)

Still hit just as hard with the Pink Gloves too AFF lol ;):) So callin it 34kg Cal :POi UHF, tell us more about that fight mate!!! Guessing you pulled that thing off a deep wreck or reef hey??? The odd biggun like that comes from ardrossan barges as a welcome by-catch ive heard. What did youse call it for mate, cos that thing would've put in two or three long runs and been pooped??? My dreeeeaaaam fish right there!!! Thanx for the photos finally :):clap:

Jack wrote:

So we wipe the thing down and slowly our eyes adjust and we read the lettering on tha reel.S h I m a n o. T w i n p o w e r ... gotta be kiddin'

SO thats were my Twinpower went. Geez mate would love it back soon.. :P:P Nah thats a killer story and thanks for sharing. Plus a couple of nice Mullies on the thread too. Top work TT

Hahaha this mully gets bigger every time brett talks about it. I have a feeling it was a touch under 140cm :)Bled and gutted and cut into two pieces it weighed 24kg from memory. So the estimate was around 28kg (The bloke that caught it is 5'9ish)Cracker of a bycatch though! Although a bloody twinpower takes the cake!!!!!!What rod was it on? Assuming it should have been half decent with that reel on it :)I've caught a few rods and reels before but they have always been kmart specials :(

Last trip out was with Lord Fisher and we ventured long and far in search of 10+ kilos of Big red. We didn't end up getting any Big Reds' date=' but did get this as a by-catch. :cheer: :cheer: :d/:laugh::clap:Snook.JPGmullyscale.jpg[/attachment]Sambo

I wouldn't bother with that scale :whistle: for a start my 101kg mully didn't go close to 10kg and the 120cm fish was nowhere near 38lb... I wish, and it was fat AS!! And before anyone blames the scales, it was weighed at tackle and tucker on digital scales.they use.for.their.comps and.I've got a certification of capture from saftag. If anything the fat girth of my 32pounder (14.somthin kg) tells me your standard 120cm fish is likely to be 30 or.a smidge under ;)I'll take a 38 pound pb though no probs :P. 28kg is likely enough easy twice the size of the pup I landed ;)

Hahaha this mully gets bigger every time brett talks about it. I have a feeling it was a touch under 140cm :)Bled and gutted and cut into two pieces it weighed 24kg from memory. So the estimate was around 28kg (The bloke that caught it is 5'9ish)Cracker of a bycatch though! Although a bloody twinpower takes the cake!!!!!!What rod was it on? Assuming it should have been half decent with that reel on it :)I've caught a few rods and reels before but they have always been kmart specials :(

MATE, deliberately didn't mention the rod make ;) its not one you would easy guess ;) I figure if someone reckons it's their reel, I will happily return it for a can of innox and a few bux for my mate who cleaned it :)Only have to let me know date it went in tha drink, location and the rod type!! :cheer:

Yeah state squider is right I have adjusted the estimation of this fish a couple of times. My bad it measured 1.4m but experts from Mulloway boards are adament it is 28kilo-30kilo.These guys have caught plenty that size.I am now sure that LF's scales were out and that the guts weighed a lot more than first estimated. I think we can safely say it was 28kilo

Last trip out was with Lord Fisher and we ventured long and far in search of 10+ kilos of Big red. We didn't end up getting any Big Reds' date=' but did get this as a by-catch. :cheer: :cheer: :d/:laugh::clap:Snook.JPGmullyscale.jpg[/attachment]Sambo

I wouldn't bother with that scale :whistle: for a start my 101kg mully didn't go close to 10kg and the 120cm fish was nowhere near 38lb... I wish, and it was fat AS!! And before anyone blames the scales, it was weighed at tackle and tucker on digital scales.they use.for.their.comps and.I've got a certification of capture from saftag. If anything the fat girth of my 32pounder (14.somthin kg) tells me your standard 120cm fish is likely to be 30 or.a smidge under ;)I'll take a 38 pound pb though no probs :P. 28kg is likely enough easy twice the size of the pup I landed ;)
Id say the scale is PRETTY close Jack.... is now said to be 140cm so that would be 27.7kg ;)and my 103 was very close to the weight said on it ;)Sambo

My best worst bycatch would have to be bl**dy cormorant!Trying to get a pilchard down to kingfish without the cormorants seeing it and diving for it!The inevitable happened, I eventually scored one which dove down for the pillie, then I had the job of trying to get it into the boat to remove the hook without being bitten in the process.He got the pilchard, he got released, Ranger got the bite......bl**dy sharp beaks on the things too!Score: cormorant 1 : Ranger 0

Id say the scale is PRETTY close Jack.... is now said to be 140cm so that would be 27.7kg ;)and my 103 was very close to the weight said on it ;)Sambo
WHERE are you UGLY4life??? how much do you trust your fish weighing skills mate?? Cos I'm concerned you cost me 10pounds off o my PB :laugh::laugh: Time to buy my own scales ;)

Her in fact.http://www.abc.net.au/news/2003-05-22/police-yet-to-identify-body-found-in-adelaide-river/1857544Little be known to us that there was a body wrapped in that plastic when we fished there 2 nights earlier, 93cm land based mully for my brother resulted from the 2 hour session