Man Darren I have to say I really love your ties!The quality and craftsmanship is just awesome! You really have a skill and art when it comes to this sort of stuff!Are you primarily trying to imitate a Whitebait with this Fly? Or?Good work mate, keep it up. Love reading about all the styles you create. :) TT

G'day TT,Thanks mate, by just changing the colors of this fly you can imitate whitebait, anchovies and frog mouth pilchards. It's easy to tie and can really take some punishment from the fish. I used 1 fly yesterday and it caught about 40 plus Salmon trout ;) Cheers Dazz

• 3 months later...

I'm not calling them Salmon lollies as a name for the fly mate, it's just a title for the post. In no part of this post have I put a name to it. I've been tying flies for 20 years and I'm very aware of what Bob Popovic's has contributed to the fly tying and fly fishing scene. The fly itself isn't really a full Surf Candy either as it has a Crazy lace body and an epoxy topping. So altogether it isn't a true to name Surf Candy either. If you read Flylife it has actually been named The Jelly belly Baitfish but at the end of the day it is still just a derivative of the Surf Candy. In flytying there is not too many true patterns left these days as all flytiers take a bit from here and there and try and come up with something different, it's called progress.I hope this helps clear it up for you (maybe just your newbie mistake) as I don't intend to take anything from anybody when it comes to flies I show on this or any site.Cheers Dazz

In flytying there is not too many true patterns left these days as all flytiers take a bit from here and there and try and come up with something different' date=' it's called progress.[/quote']Dazz, agree. I've been fly fishing for 24 years now, and in that time I've seen too many folks "invent" a fly along the lines of "well so-and-so's fly has 350 nylon fibres and mine has 351, so mine is a new invention" or some such b.s.I stopped reading fly life a while ago since I find the editorship to be just a tad partisan, if not also parochial. Anyway great to see you keeping a fine old sport alive.

Like they say mate, as long as a fly works it doesn't really matter in the end. It's what enjoyment you get out of tying and fishing it.I never said I invented it, I just tied it to show what can be done to tempt the Sambo's.No BS as you say, just an example. If you wish to question my integrity that's fine but there is nothing in my post to claim I invented or re-named this particular fly.The way I see this particular website is to try and pass on as much knowledge as possible to try and get a few more people involved in a sport we both enjoy and hopefully one day build a greater popularity in both tying and fly fishing.If there is something wrong with that then so be it. I don't see this as a pissing contest.Cheers Dazz

Dazz, not questioning your integrity. Call me old fashioned but I like to see the original tyer and name duly credited. And in the interest of spreading knowledge, I posted the tying instructions.Do you believe in "matching the hatch"? It would be great to see our local baitfish matched in simple and effective patterns.

Sounds good to me mate, not as though I make money out of these :laugh: .Here are a few suggestions on matching the hatch from my previous post.G'day TT,Thanks mate, by just changing the colors of this fly you can imitate whitebait, anchovies and frog mouth pilchardsCheers DazzP.S. Maybe you could throw up a few of your ties as well.

Guest horses4courses
Dazz' date=' not questioning your integrity. Call me old fashioned but I like to see the original tyer and name duly credited. And in the interest of spreading knowledge, I posted the tying instructions.Do you believe in "matching the hatch"? It would be great to see our local baitfish matched in simple and effective patterns.[/quote']Never having fished a fly,but I reckon that "matching the hatch" is common amongst all forms of fishing these days......that's what gets results :huh: Granted,it started with fly fishing,but has spread to the "mentality" of hard-bodies,soft plastics,poppers etc :)
Dazz' date=' agree. I've been fly fishing for 24 years now...[/quote']Welcome to Strike & Hook Berger. There are some valuable contributors on these boards, especially when it comes to some of our resident fly fishermen :)So it is great to have you aboard and we look forward to any expertise that you may be comfortable to share with us. I myself am only just embarking on my own flyfishing journey, so have a keen interest in hearing from people like yourself.Enjoy the site and again, welcome mate.Cheers

Thanks Jack. Regarding matching pilchards: I've tried tying surf candies that size but I found the fly ridiculously heavy to cast. So I resorted to a conventional Leftys Deceiver, 7" long, with only just enough epoxy to hold the jumbo eyes.These flies have the problem that their tails will wrap around the bend of the hook, which is a problem that the Candy solves nicely.To be honest, I'd be happy to stick with whitebait-sized Candies since the salmon love them, but I was chasing larger pelagics when I tied the flies in the pics. IMAG0614.jpg

Dazz, Those are great looking flies in your last post (now that I get a chance to see them on the home computer).

Never having fished a fly' date='but I reckon that "matching the hatch" is common amongst[b'] all[/b] forms of fishing these days......that's what gets results :huh: Granted,it started with fly fishing,but has spread to the "mentality" of hard-bodies,soft plastics,poppers etc :)

True.But there's something magic about tying a decent-looking fly, all by your ownsome, and anticipating the fish you're going to catch with it. Or, having a day out where you scored some close encounters which left you thinking about an improvement you can make to your fly (especially at the trouty end of the fly scene). I'm not sure this is as true of soft plastics or lures.

Anyone who remembers SAFFA from the 80's and 90's will certainly remember Paul Bourne. He left SA to be a full time fly guide in the Jindabyne region. He's still there, and doing well. Top guide and top bloke.Anyway here's a pic of him tying a Surf Candy. Blue was the gun colour on the east coast (Tura Heads).SCandy01.jpg Paul into a good fish (silver in the water, doh). If he sees this he'll probably be a little sh-tty with me that I'm showing a pic of him catching salmon and not trout, but hey, where were the trout that April, Paul?Tura09.jpgPaul and an east coast salmon. Not as big as the ones we get here in SA, of course ;)Tura11a.JPG

It is neither mate. No dumbell eyes or Bendback hook.It is referred to as a Keel Fly. It was first bought to my attention by a fella called Ken Culgrin but this particular style of fly has been around for a very very long time in Salmon and I'm lead to believe trout fishing.Very effective for what I do on the Snapper fishing front as it resembles a small Whiting (in this colour) which Snapper are very fond of for a feed.Cheers Dazz

Busterboy,Mate I fish from my boat and kayak and the Salmon I caught on these flies were caught in the Port River. For Salmon trout I use a Rio 5wt full sinking line and also a Rio Aqualux line which is an Intermediate. Both are used in different situations depending on the depth the fish are holding in. I don't use a floating line very often as you can use the intermediate line in a similar fashion, you just cast it out and start stripping it as soon as it lands. That way it doesn't sink too far below the surface but when you need to you can let it sink so it can be used kind of like two different lines in one.There are plenty of land based spots to try, Westlakes, in front of the Birkenhead Tavern and the Wheat silos. Hope that helps you out.Cheers Dazz