First Fly Caught Rainbow Trout...

Gday all,Went for a fish a couple days back with the old man to a spot near my uncles house... Managed to catch my firt rainbow trout on the fly.. Let me say it is definately a fun form of fishing and casting is not as hard as it seems watching others. Mind you i have spent a number of hours casting a small split shot at an icecream container down at my local park. Im very new to this form of fishing and yes i do realise that the line was spooled on backwards, as the fly rod and reel came from america. But was also wondering if it is just the Americans that wind the reel towards them? Instead of the normal way on? Cheers SamN.

100_0368.JPG

100_0371.JPG

haha yeah will be for sure jumped a number of flies and i lost a much bigger one to a snag earlier in the day...yeah the Americans are a bit bizzare haha, you would have seen pics from the day on FB but its deactivated now so i cant upload them, the old man caught some thumping redfin as well!

Urm tbh with you, the fly im am unaware of the type, it was just a few small beads stuck together with gliter on them, and it was caught on a sinking leader or so i am told. And as for the private land part, we fished mostly private land but the trout was caught in a creek leading into the private property.Cheers SamN

Im very new to this form of fishing and yes i do realise that the line was spooled on backwards' date=' as the fly rod and reel came from america. But was also wondering if it is just the Americans that wind the reel towards them? Instead of the normal way on? Cheers SamN.[/quote']Left hand retrieve reel? ;-)Great fish!!!! Well done.
hahah most probably is ahaha' date=' wudnt have a clue all i know is its working like that haha :Pand cheers mate![/quote']Many reels allow you to change retrieve direction- usually pop the spool off and change direction of one way bearing/retainer if there is one (ie reel with drag). SMS don't need this but you do need to change direction line is spooled on.

Well done,It was going to be my guess that the reel is left handed. But then again I'm right handed and have my reel set up for a left hand. I set it up this was because your always false casting and I do that with my right so instead of swapping hand I now just reel with my left. Feels natural with the fly rod but can’t do it with the spinning gear.Goldy

Well bloody done fella . Top top work . I'm glad to see you finally land a fish on fly after you been talking about it for a bit . Let us know when your heading out . Give us a call or text as my phone went in the drink an i donmt have ya number ?

No worries imbo ill do it right now mate.and yeah cheers goldy, i swapped it around last night back to the left hand as you said, feels better this way as wellCheers SamN

Sam if you are going to fish for fish that may actually pull some line off the reel then make sure you are winding with your dominant hand. So if your right handed swap over the one way bearing and strip all the line off and then put it back on so you are retrieving right handed.If you are fishing for fish that don't take line (like small trout) then you will get away with having it as a left hand winding reel. It's very frustrating trying to wind fast with a fish swimming at you if you are winding back the line with the non dominant hand.Just my 2 cents worth :) Cheers Dazz

Well done SamN :clap::clap::clap: ,i,like alot of others also remember my first trout on fly,which happened not to long ago ,a nice brown of 39cm,now im addicted and tying flies and that gets even more addictive.searching for materials that may be lying on the ground,and skinning roadkill,i now have a hare pelt in the shed drying.hope you stick at fly fishing has been my biggest fishing challenge yet.again well done

Welldone Sam' date=' Great angling milestone mate :clap:;) Stick with it it gets easier. Looks like your reels on backwards dude ;) Welldone Cheers1Fish :boot:[/quote']Haha yes it was just figured that out, oh well what a laugh catching a trout on the fly on a backwards reel, now thats a story :P