Pt. Gawler in a tinny - advice?

Hi Guys,New to the forum, although I have been reading through it for about a year! Dont really eat fish but for some reason just cant shake the urge to head out and get some - mostly with little luck!Got myself a little 12ft tinny, took it out st. kilda a couple weeks back for its 1st run for a couple hours, got 6 ST's but nothing special... On my way home to the barossa i stopped in at port gawler for a look and I'm pretty keen to hit it this friday (weather looks promising). Ive read as much as I can about it and all I've found out is that the Bream are plentiful but illusive and be careful not to get stuck at the mouth at low tide...I really want to head out the mouth and try for some whiting and hopefully get a few to keep the mrs happy enough to keep letting me go out! Low tide is at .8 mtrs, can anyone tell me if thats too low to slip out and if so, how much water will I need to get out (and more importantly, back in!).Im thinking trying to get out before low tide, fish some deeper water then head back in after lunch as the tide comes back up. Obviously getting out there Friday and finding out for myself will be a the go, but all I can ever think about is my next trip so thought I'd post it up for some pissible feedback to last me until Friday :DCheers.

I'm no expert on the area, but I'd suggest 0.8 might be a bit low to get through.Set your sights on waiting till it's about 1.0-1.3m and you should be fine, coz the last thing you wanna do is get out and start wading through that mud up to your knees.There's some big Bream in the river itself. Keep it quiet as you fish. Leave nothing of value on display in your car, and make sure it's secured properly!

I would go as far as to say don't leave your car there.I did it once. No damage but never again. Its not very enjoyable when fishing worrying if your car will be there when you get back.Good place to fish though.

Totally agree there Silaflex.Ive seen burnt out cars there for a start and the most creative Ive heard of was a honda civic floating out on the tide :huh::huh::huh::huh: Perfect spot for :c to do their stuff :angry:

hi mate, ive fished the river in a tinnie for bream but you may find you are a bit early for them, normally spring is the best time.i like to head up river from the ramp and fish tight against the bank casting up a head of you.prawns and worms are the gun baits, crabs if you can collect a few too.if you are heading out there should be a few whiting about. try and stick close to the northern mangrove bank on theway out. try and pick the highest tide for the day otherwise you may find yourself wading, which aint too bad if the sea is calm enough.head out halfway up the tide and heasd back in when its half way down. this should give you 5 hrs or so out there. remember, not all high tides are high so you hav to look at the height, not just the time, i reckon anything around 1.9m or over is safe.you wont need to head out too far, you should still be able to see the bottom where you will find whiting, (unless its stirred up which is even better). look for patchy broken bottom in the 3-5 m depth range and go your hardest.dont forget the squid jags either.let us know how you go

Cheers for the tips guys!Yeah I'm well aware of the dodgey's that happen out there. I think a lot of the burnt out cars that are dumped there are probaby stolen from the subburbs... hopefully they dont have to steal mine to get back home again!! I'll be taking a couple relays out with me just in case! :unsure:At this stage I'm thinking I may try and slip out when the tides at 1.3m or higher (8am-9am), head for deeper water and fish during the low tide, then head back in around 2-3pm when the tides coming in and back up to 1.3-1.5mtrs? I guess my biggest fear with that is if I get stuck on the way out its going to be a loooong day!I'll definitely take the squid jigs with now that you mention it nickmav!Cheers,Mark.

Well not much to report :(After notifying the cops about some poor P platers stolen car that got dumped in the river... I got the tinny in the river and out to the mouth around 8.30am - when the tide should have been around 1.3 mtrs and on its way out (according to willyweather)... Unfortunately this wasn't enough water and after a few failed attempts to find a small channel out (and a spot of wading when I got beached!) I decided to head back in before I run out of water completely!Deciding not to fish in the river and (as mentioned by Silaflex), worrying about my commodore having a similar doom to the one already in the drink, decided to head back and go to St. Kilda where I still only scored a small ST and a squid haha.All in all, mission failed but as they say, A bad day of fishing is better than a good day of work!Cheers,Mark.dumped_commy.jpg

Not a fail mate ;) good onya for having a crack mate! :clap: wonder what the best tide times to check are for the area?? Probably going to be a lot different than outer harbor, maybe half to an hour ahead??? I know north arm high tide is about half hour later and the creeks can be up to an hour later at barker inlet :ohmy: might take a bit to work out. Six what some bludging scum bags do hey.... Should have a few bullet proof cameras set up out there. Poor bloody un insured p plater.... They could have at least stole a Mercedes or a Beamer.... That sux.Enjoy your adventures though and maybe try google earth and explore the creeks round the back of torrens island ;)

That's right Jack, its generally the people that have cheap cars that end up stolen and they're the people that probably don't have insurance (I know I don't!). I'm no saint but there's a difference between sticking it to the man and ripping of someone that probably struggles from week to week.I reckon you may be on to something with the tide times also - in this case it was probably out more than what I thought (I had St. Kilda tide times) but there could be a bit of difference and the water was rushing out bloody fast! I'll probably try to get out on an incoming next time!

• 4 weeks later...

STRONGLY ADVISE NOT LEAVING CAR UNATTENDED!i work for a local government body that deals with the area. i have seen everything down there from dumped dogs and cats (alive and not), to burnt cars & even a burnt 20ft glass boat, asbestos is always dumped there as well. we can not nab them as they often use stolen plates and our cameras are often vandalised.for your own safety dont go, land based is fine.

in saying what i said, head inland, not to the mouth. massive deep holes that hold fish at all tide levels. if you go deep enough you will come across a dam wall.also try middle beach. Council just installed a state of the art boat ramp at a coast of $200k - funded by the Feds. your car will be safe as this is an actually township. head out the mouth and go north (right) and you will come across another channel, this is where the big whiting live... enjoy..

STRONGLY ADVISE NOT LEAVING CAR UNATTENDED!i work for a local government body that deals with the area. i have seen everything down there from dumped dogs and cats (alive and not)' date=' to burnt cars & even a burnt 20ft glass boat, asbestos is always dumped there as well. we can not nab them as they often use stolen plates and our cameras are often vandalised.for your own safety dont go, land based is fine.[/quote']been fishing for many years in this creek and yes 80% of the times we go there is a burnt out wreck or the spot where a burnt out wreck was, BUT have never had any trouble leaving the car there in the day. It is very rare to not have normal people fishing there so there really is people coming and going all day. i have not heard of any cars damaged during the day, not to say it doesn't happen but we have never had any trouble, YET! ;) the creek hold good sized bream mullet flathead and the occasional salmon trout a great spot to fish for sure so don't give up B) cheers chuckPS middle beach is even more remote and i have heard of cars being damaged in the day time so don't think it will be any safer

I've taken the kayak out a few times in the creek there and never had a problem with my car. Not to say it doesnt happen though, seen a few burnt out wrecks but think as was said earlier probably just stolen cars from the suburbs and not people going out there looking for a car to burn. I guess they might decide to burn 2 though once they get out there. Great spot, some deep holes further up the creek. Only weird guy i met out there was a vietnam vet who came up and asked me if I had ever had sex standing up in the kayak. Said no and he replied "Me either but tried it on a long board once..." Not sure he was all there but would like to know how he managed that.