2500 Spin reels

I suppose it depends on what you're looking to catch with it, for what I use 2500 size reels for I can't see the justification of buying a stella, maybe a stradic, but I've got a symetre and it works great, nice smooth drag and plenty of it for the six pound line that I run, plus at around $100 a good price as well. I'm sure there are similar daiwa products but I'm not so familiar with their smaller spin reels these days.

shimano all the way with the light stuff.....your always going to need a 2500 and its the most used reel of most people's collection even if they don't want to admit it!CI 4 is an awesome reel! nothing better for the price in my opinion.I don't own a stella but your always gonna use a 2500, and if its your number 1 reel then why not!A mate and i had some fun recently at fowlers on the 2500 CI4 on some alb 6 7 8Lb salmon on plastics... big fish for small reel and its just awesome!!!

Shimano Rarenium Ci4Shimano Stradic FJShimano Stradic Ci4what are you looking to use it for? stradics both have 6.0:1 ratios where as the rarenium has 5.0:1 all have the same line capacity but the rarenium has 10kg max drag where as the stradics have 7kg. if you wanna target big fish then the rarenium is the way to go. all are similar priced and have pretty much the same features.

Personally I don't think the drag matters much for a 2500 sized reel. The quality of the drag system does, but not the rating.To get the most out of 10kg of drag you'd need to be using 90lb line!! At most I imagine you'd be using 20lb line (even that's too much IMO) which only needs about 2kg of drag which pretty much any reel from budget up to top of the range will give.

Personally I don't think the drag matters much for a 2500 sized reel. The quality of the drag system does' date=' but not the rating.To get the most out of 10kg of drag you'd need to be using 90lb line!! At most I imagine you'd be using 20lb line (even that's too much IMO) which only needs about 2kg of drag which pretty much any reel from budget up to top of the range will give.[/quote']Exactly, as long as the drag is smooth then you're fine, but heaps of drag pressure is uneccesary on a small reel, you'll never use it all. Go to your local shop, have a feel of some reels from proven brands, even bring the rod you intend to pair it with to see how they balance, shouldn't need to spend anymore than $100-200 to get a quality reel that will last a long time.

Cheers FellahsNarrowed the option down to two reels the certae and the stradic, Ci4... At the moment slightly leaing towards the stradic, and will place this on a gloomis tournament rod or similar if all goes to plan, will mainly be used for callop and small murray cod in the up coming months...Cheers for your help, tight lines SamN

Cheers FellahsNarrowed the option down to two reels the certae and the stradic' date=' Ci4... At the moment slightly leaing towards the stradic, and will place this on a gloomis tournament rod or similar if all goes to plan, will mainly be used for callop and small murray cod in the up coming months...Cheers for your help, tight lines SamN[/quote']You will have a nice setup with either of those on that rod :)Sambo

Sam go the Luvias.Bang for buck they are a step above the Ci4 and with an after market handle/knob will do more than any Cod or Golden will ask of it.Certate or Stella is way over kill. You have seen the size of the gear we use on the Snapps and there was no issue there.

Sam go the Luvias.Bang for buck they are a step above the Ci4 and with an after market handle/knob will do more than any Cod or Golden will ask of it.Certate or Stella is way over kill. You have seen the size of the gear we use on the Snapps and there was no issue there.

Gonna have to agree with Rollas here (knows his stuff), after using my old luvais for some good snapper with him, i guess i will just get the new one and pair it with the gloomis tournament rod :) his advice has always been correct so far haha :P Cheers for the input everyone muchly apreciated!
Guest Brent61

Shimano Rarenium Ci4Shimano Stradic FJShimano Stradic Ci4what are you looking to use it for? stradics both have 6.0:1 ratios where as the rarenium has 5.0:1 all have the same line capacity but the rarenium has 10kg max drag where as the stradics have 7kg. if you wanna target big fish then the rarenium is the way to go. all are similar priced and have pretty much the same features.

WHAT ?NO JARVIS WALKER MARADO ?Mr. Walker will not be impressed by your selection :evil: :evil: :evil: brent

they dont come in 2500 size and i know sam uses shimano or daiwa gear only. no point in trying to sell sand to an arab is there.WHAT ?NO JARVIS WALKER MARADO ?Mr. Walker will not be impressed by your selection :evil: :evil: :evil: brent
The bearing upgrade was from plat.co.jp it's by hedgehog bearings and it replaces the under spool bush' date=' line roller bushings and handle bushings all with bearings.It was well worth the upgrade! From memory it was around $55 delivered.[/quote']Sweet mate I'll look into this.
  • 2 weeks later...