More news on super trawler!

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-06-05/super-trawler-troubles-conservationists/4054442?section=tasThis super trawler will be fishing from NSW to WA. It is apparently responsible for plummeting fish stocks off Chile by 90%.While this boat may be fishing Commonwealth waters not state, I will not police or adhere to a single zoning proposal in this country.Rape our southern Australian waters where 80-90% of all marine life is found nowhere else on earth as the DENR website states......yet bring in this ship to feed Asia and Africa while excluding your own citizens on a mass scale between both State/Federal plans?On the SAplan website DENR were quick to point out the Australian sea lion was under threat from Commonwealth commercial fishing off southern Australia. So go figure the rationalism of this environmental bi-polarism by our Governments?TB
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

This defies logic and is un Australian...just puts us in the same catagory as European and Asian countries that have raped their seas to the point of decimation.I spose they have had many hundreds of years to do this, its ironic that a batch of buffoons eventually have to show their true colours and send us down the same path,,,unable to see the obvious mistakes,this kind of thing is the beginning of a sordid, unsustainable, spiral into the depths of greed and enviromental disaster. :angry::angry:

How can the government let this happen?with all the b/s about marine parks and sanctuaries and catch limits ect ,yet they are prepared to let a super trawler operate in austraian waters because it has a few pointy heads working on it ,as for the bloody union what the jobs of a handfull of seamen is worth destroying the fish stocks forever sounds a bit like the logging debate i say we cut the anchor rope and let tasmania float away with all the politicions on it as well perhaps they could circle around tasmania until all the fish are gone from there first then lets see what is said crispy :angry:

How can the government let this happen?:angry:

EasyIts going to drop a "much" needed 4 million dollars into the Tas economy. :huh::huh::huh::huh::huh::huh: At the expense of what else where I wonder.Theres so many arguments against this whole idea ! People rushing out justifying this n that always forgetting once its gone you cant eat money :pinch: Geez I dunno :whistle:

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same as me? It seems if you comply and do the right thing you just get slapped in the face with a wet fish.What smart ministers we have!!! Anyone of us can surley do a much better job, seriously!

Once again, you, the amateur fisherperson have been knifed in the back,by people who we put into power to govern this country on our behalf.Dr david Susuki, a well known outspoken person on enviromental issues once said and i quote:when the last fish is taken from the sea and the last tree on earthis cut down then and only then will we relise that you cant eat money.my point is that, money talks louder than commonsence,and i am thinking that there is no commonsence left in the corridors of power.Isnt it Norway that still hunt whales as well as Japan,both countries have stuffed up their own fishing waters as well as Chiles and now they want to stuff up ours. B)B) :c :c :c

imagine the tonnage of by catch in those nets!

I doubt the TAC put on this thing is going to be upheld.The industry owners want to get that tonnage changed in the future. Plus this trawler can store 9.5 thousand tonnes of fish in it's onboard freezers. So, if it was only going to out sea 2 times a year it would have already reached it's quota p/a?Would you purchase a vessel of this size if you could only take it out 2 times a year due to a TAC?I smell a rat?TB
this makes me so angry' date=' there is nothing anyone of us can do about it either. im only 22, whats the world gunna be like when im 50? makes me sick :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick: :sick:[/quote']When I was growing up I was told my vote counted.I'm not so sure anymore !I think having more of a global economy nowadays is making the situation worse !
imagine the tonnage of by catch in those nets!
I doubt the TAC put on this thing is going to be upheld.The industry owners want to get that tonnage changed in the future. Plus this trawler can store 9.5 thousand tonnes of fish in it's onboard freezers. So' date=' if it was only going to out sea 2 times a year it would have already reached it's quota p/a?Would you purchase a vessel of this size if you could only take it out 2 times a year due to a TAC?I smell a rat?TB[/quote']Possibly a rat TB, who knows. but it wouldnt hurt to have some rat sak handy anyway

Hey guys, Heres another link: http://​www.dailytelegraph.com.au/​lifestyle/​federal-government-allows-massi​ve-super-trawler-to-fish-in-au​stralian-waters/​story-e6frf00i-1226387965265In my opinion this again is the government and a bunch of people that have never seen sunlight in there life sitting behind a computer screen or phone doing dodgey buisness transactions.... But dont worry we need marine parks coz guys its us recs that are ruining the snapper industry.... MMMMMM government hey, if you could walk up and say something to one of them im sure itd be along the line of some words far to inappropriate for this site...This really just does show hoy hypocritical the people are that run our country....Few year from now i can see it we will need a 67ft boat to evening get out to a tommy ruff spot to even catch one of these fish... (they will just rape anything that moves)*&&*&^ Joke Mate

Federal labour is toxic. Can't stand Julia's patronising comments on tv either. She thinks we are all completely stupid. Talks down to us like we a dyslexic.If there's ever been a worse government in Australia's history then i'd like to know which one it was because it must have been horribly bad.

• 2 weeks later...

The Margiris is getting some attention in Europehttp://www.canberratimes.com.au/environment/conservation/greenpeace-locks-down-australiabound-supertrawler-20120628-214hm.htmlYep, still seems to be in porthttp://www.marinetraffic.com/ais/shipdetails.aspx?mmsi=277330000And a lengthy read on the mighty dollar and high seas fishinghttp://sosnews.org/index.php?mact=News,cntnt01,detail,0&cntnt01articleid=203&cntnt01returnid=15 Maybe the Centre for Policy Development only goes for soft targets with their "reports"?

This super trawler is only one of the many problems being experianced by all Australians thanks to our politicians.The latest foray is the ex Prime Minister thr honourable Bob Hawke trying to broker a deal on China,s behalf to use an extensive amount of land in the topend of Aust to grow vegys that would be sent back to China.not for consumption in Aust, all water would be supplied to them from the Ord river system, no charge, and no taxes or charges payable.Once again they are trying to pull the wool over our eyes.[this story was on the Leon Viner radio show this morning 28.6.2012].Your money [eg TAXES] i guess is going to prop up a deal which is of no value to you.Now think about what is going to happen if and when that super trawler gets the go ahead,they will take what ever they can and it will all go overseas and you will recieve no benifit at all.There is an awfull lot to think isnt there Regards Chris :angry:

Hi kon,just checked tour post regards the fishing vessel Margiris.and yes she is still in the port of Ijmuiden.If anyone wants to track her moverments they can do so by typeing inthe webbsite www.marinetrackingservices.com and follow the promps. Regards Chris.

Morning tacklerat.Good news that G P are involved,just read the article in the NZ herald and it sounds good so far but it is early days yet,a lot now depends on federal goverment and i think we all know how unreliable they are. their track record for supporting local industries is not that good,but lets hope that commonsence prevails,we all have to keep the pressure on if we want to win this one. Regards Chris :angry:

As of 4.20pm 1.7.2012 the MV MARGIRIS is still tied up in the Port of Ijmuiden..
Bit of info on that here ;)http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/environment/conservation/greenpeace-locks-down-australiabound-supertrawler-20120628-214hm.html
Maybe G.P can weld the hull to the dock somehow' date=' that would %$#@ em wouldn' date='t it ..[/quote'']Theyre doing better than that Khombi ;) "At 0300 AEST activists put a chain around the ship's propeller, and two climbers are currently hanging on the cables between the ship and the quay, to prevent the ship from beginning its journey to Tasmania," Greenpeace said. "

slightly off topic but its the same idiots running the asylum themepaying farmers to NOT run cattle on their land so the land & environment can absorb more carbon.then have to import all our beef from bigger carbon producing countries by massive carbon producing ships at bigger costs!!!!WTF

Read the 'carbon and mpa's' thread as well. Our country isrun by carbon fruitloops!Any chance of bringing up the link to that little statement Poppa Snake?TB