More news on super trawler!

Thanks afishyfish, i to ,like you get totaly :c off to see these programs getting swept aside when the river systems are suffering under the pressures of an introduced species.As always the money is there for overseas projects,and aid,but the problems associated with the Murray and probally a lot other river systems around Australia do not get reconised.We, as fisher people, have to keep on making lots of noise about these issues and keep on doing it.The only way foward on all these issues is to make them understand that they work for us ,not the other way round and we deserve to be heard and taken seriously on all issues regardless of what it may be.The river is not there for exclusive use of irragators nor is it there for the exclusive use of fishers, it is there for all to enjoy, and use, and it must be protected whatever the cost .SOOOOO all you senators in Canbera take up the challenge and tell the PM and Treasurer to free up the cash and help the Murray survive :angry: ps has anyone else have thoughts on this issue,if so lets hear them cheers Chris........... :clap:

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

From "The Advocate" 24/7/12:http://www.theadvocate.com.au/news/local/news/general/trawler-is-not-welcome-in-sa-mayor/2633312.aspx

:clap::clap::clap::clap::clap::clap: Sounds like the Mayor knows what side his bread is buttered on :huh: :cheer:
"The FV Margiris is looking to fish for redbait, jack mackerel and blue mackerel"3 points...1. Mackerel???? Trawling??? I may be an old saltie and fishing may have changed since i was out there in anger BUT isnt mackerel fishing done by "purse seining"??? I thought this ship was called a trawler and trawled???? (on the bottom)????2...If it is purse seining - i doubt that they will concentrate on mackerel in SA when their arrival will just coincidentally coincide with the annual blue fin tuna migration across the bight and tassie...3. If it is a registered Trawler and is capable of also purse seining does the government know it will be doing both??? Red bait?? (although im not familiar with this specie) it sounds something like a pillie and pillies are caught by seining - along with mackerel...Food for thought....

3. If it is a registered Trawler and is capable of also purse seining does the government know it will be doing both??? Red bait?? although im not familiar with this specie) it sounds something like a pillie and pillies are caught by seining - along with mackerel...GDKThis is the little sucker:http://www.fishbase.org/Summary/SpeciesSummary.php?id=395Cheersaf

The Margiris - is on its way but according to Gillard hasn't been granted a licence - why would it leave ?It can catch and process 250 tonnes per day ( 5 times what the Sydney Fish Market sells in a day ).So an annual quota of 18,000 tonnes only takes 72 days to catch - that leaves 293 days of what - sightseeing ?There is nothing positive about this boat. What 40 jobs?, casual/part time jobs. We'll lose a lot more in the fishing / tourism industry as a result.Localised depletion is a main issue, can you see them hitting a thriving spot and move on to be considerate????.....I don't reckon.quotes from the replies to the articles for you that don't have time to browse

As you've said what is a boat of that size going to do for the rest of the year?Obviously there is no way they are coming here for this one contract.Wait and see what else comes out of this.....

I aint waiting, have just emailed this to the Libs with a shot at the state :c and their federal :c partners in crime
  • 2 weeks later...

Red bait are one of the main sources of food for bluefin tuna. Our bluefin industry brings in a fair amount to this and other states. Taking out a fair whack of a species foodsource has to have a flow on effect. How will this effect the bluefin industry (and other species as well). Every where else these super trawlers have been has been decimated.Jobs - there are no jobs in this for Australia there is nothing else in it either. Supertrawler spells disatser in my mind. Our pollies have no idea of what they are doing on so many levels.

• 2 weeks later...

your right,have had a look at marine site and unable to locate it, just said OUT OF RANGE so maybe gone down to antartic to avoid trouble, then sneak back in when no one is looking, or maybe sunk by an iceberg,or swallowed by a mutated whale, or got run over by the QUEEN MARY, or the bung fell out and she just plain sunk :evil: chris

News article from 6 days ago, FWIWFV Margiris, is currently sitting off the east coast of Africa...The super trawler and her sister ships have already contributed to the overexploitation of fish stocks in West Africa and the South Pacific. The South Pacific jack mackerel fishery, a favourite of this super trawler and the European Pelagic Freezer-Trawler Association (PFA), made headlines this year when fish populations plummeted by ninety percent. Off West Africa almost all the PFA's target species are now fully exploited or overexploited, prompting the Senegalese government to expel all PFA vessels from their waters.http://maritime-connector.com/news/environment-and-technology/australians-to-stop-super-trawler/

News article from 6 days ago' date=' FWIWFV Margiris, is currently sitting off the east coast of Africa.... Off West Africa almost all the PFA's target species are now fully exploited or overexploited, prompting the Senegalese government to expel all PFA vessels from their waters./

Wouldn't it be good if and thats a big if our Federal government had the sesnse to stop it b4 it got here, and save all the angst later on :huh: :whistle:

Am i right or wrong.This ship is coming here to catch fish to sell to countries whose waters they have plundered by overfishing, which means that when they are finished here they will go elsewhere to catch fish to sell to us because we wont have any left and so on and so forth, a bit of a well planned visious circlewith the end result being they keep on making lots of cash and we get more restrictions because of the shortage.Something does not add up here.

Spot on Khombi !Classic case of Rape and Pillage. The Vikings had nothing on these guys :angry:

.Something does not add up here.

Theres Ship Loads that doesnt add up !-------------------------------------------------------------With Thanks to The Launceston Examiner .-----------------------------------------------------------------Federal Environment Minister Tony Burke admits there is potential for the FV Margiris to take a large catch from one area in Commonwealth waters near Tasmania. The Dutch-owned super trawler that will be used by Seafish Tasmania is thought to be arriving in less than two weeks' date=' despite widespread opposition from fishermen and environmentalists across the state, the Launceston Examiner reported. Speaking in Hobart on Saturday, Mr Burke said[b'] large takes of fish from one area by large vessels such as the FV Margiris was a legitimate possibility[/b]. Premier Lara Giddings deflected state government responsibility. "This is an issue that is the responsibility of the Australian government and not one that's within Tasmania's ambit," Ms Giddings said. "This boat will not be fishing in Tasmanian waters but it will be fishing within a wide expanse of Australian waters." Mr Burke said the main focus should now be on the number of fish caught, and not the size of the boat. "With this particular vessel there can be an added complication with the issue of large takes in a very localised area," Mr Burke said. "It is important that that aspect of the science be brought into play and that's something that I'm sure AFMA [the Australian Fisheries Management Authority] will be taking account of." North-West recreational fisherman and protest organiser John Edwards said frustration over government inaction was mounting. Mr Edwards described support in AFMA's science as "blind faith". "We find it absolutely extraordinary with some of the evidence coming to light in recent weeks, particularly in relation to the science that AFMA has based the TAC on having been found by Dr Andrew Wadley to be basically a complete fabrication," Mr Edwards said. He said it was highly likely that a protest on Devonport's Mersey River would be organised. Greens Senator Peter Whish-Wilson, who attended the rally in Hobart, said the support was remarkable. "The government admitted that there has not been scientific research done for the last eight years," Mr Whish-Wilson said. "It should show some leadership and be the one responsible for putting in place the research." Launceston Examiner Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/environment/conservation/super-trawler-may-take-large-catches-minister-20120813-243ux.html#ixzz23a0HYoZF

This sounds like a whole lot of gobbly gook and buck passing to me, by the time they stop this political bouncing around ,buck passing and blamming each other this ship will have come, caught, and gone and we will be the losers,this sort shit has happened before with these political parties. None them have enough balls to stand up and denounce this boat for what it is high seas rape of a fishery that does not belong to them but belong to the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE, not some overseas company that does not give a damn whether it overfishes or not.The minister for the enviroment sounds like he skipping around the subect as is Lara giddons and no decissions are being made. :evil: :evil: :evil:

This sounds like a whole lot of gobbly gook and buck passing to me' date=' by the time they stop this political bouncing around ,buck passing and blamming each other this ship will have come, caught, and gone and we will be the losers,this sort shit has happened before with these political parties. None them have enough balls to stand up and denounce this boat for what it is high seas rape of a fishery that does not belong to them but belong to the AUSTRALIAN PEOPLE, not some overseas company that does not give a damn whether it overfishes or not.The minister for the enviroment sounds like he skipping around the subect as is Lara giddons and no decissions are being made. :evil: :evil: :evil:[/quote']Definiteley agree Khombi.I'm told teh ship also has several sister ships too !So maybe it's not just the Marigis we need to be concerned about !Maybe it's operators are conveniently letting the one ship take all the flack! Are the operators hoping we'll let one ship in hoping it wont do much damage before quietly sending the rest of the fleet in !I gather this is something like what happened off West Africa :S :vomit:
Am i right or wrong.This ship is coming here to catch fish to sell to countries whose waters they have plundered by overfishing' date='[/quote']Correct :pinch: From http://www.seashepherd.org/news-and-media/2012/08/07/death-trawler-on-its-way-down-under-1418It is ironic that after the Margiris and other members of the PFA were expelled from West African waters that they will now harvest small pelagic fish from Australian waters to feed those whose fisheries have been destroyed by them. Care2 reports, “It takes 56 traditional Mauritanian boats one year to catch the volume of fish that an EU vessel can capture and process in a single day” [3]. That's 56 boats' worth of crews' yearly salary destroyed by over-exploitation of one day by foreign super trawlersSo who's going to feed us when theyve buggered every fishery :huh: Only thing adding up here is the smell of profit !

It would seem to me that if this trawler can ,in one day, catch what it takes 50 odd other fi shing boats a year to catch then that would not be sustainable fishing.Apart from the fact that {1} it will deplete fishing stocks {2} it will take longer to recooperate stocks,{3}put these 50 other boats and jobs on the line due to the lack of fish for breeding purposes.Now i am no expert in these matters but you dont have to be rocket scientist to work that one out, but i will once again say, that these polies are deliberatly backing away from this and i am not sure why ,maybe they think if they dont say any thing it will all go away,BUT I CAN ASSURE THEM IT WONT. Regards chris

It`s all good, we can all relax... :whistle: http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-08-22/margiris-operator-not-fazed-by-scrutiny/4214690?section=saMr Geen says the ship is expected to arrive in Devonport by the end of next week to start fishing Commonwealth waters from Western Australia to New South Wales.Scientist Keith Sainsbury says the facts surrounding the super trawler are being ignored. "This vessel, whatever its size, it's going to be limited to catching the catch quota that has been set and that catch quota's been set at a very safe way and that's why we're quite comfortable with the sustainability of this particular fishery," he said.Senator Thorp and her Tasmanian Labor and Liberal colleagues say they will not support a Greens motion due before the Senate today that would block the quota.Fait accompli?

Can you believe what these people tell you, when, after all, its their own company and pockets they are worried about. This ship is on its way here now but it still has not applied for registration yet, WHY NOT,you would not come all this way and spend vasts amounts of money if you had not beeen given some sort of assurance that you would be given the green light to fish.Point #2, what guarantee is there that if this ship is successful out here that other ships wont come and try the same sort of tatics, after all whats good for one is good for all.Naturaly the polies of Tasmania want it because its money in the countries coffers, is it not.Lets face it,no fishing of this type is ever sustainable and that has been proven many times over the years .This ship is coming here to catch fish to feed starving africans,WHY,well because some body with a large trawler overfished their waters,could be the sametrawler thats coming here,any way keep smiling,they tell me that miracles do happen.................sometimes.Chris

More updates from "Fishing World" News website (from 20/8/12 to 23/8/12):http://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/rec-fishers-pull-pin-on-super-trawler-working-grouphttp://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/scientist-warns-australia-to-lock-out-super-trawlerhttp://www.fishingworld.com.au/news/super-trawler-risk-too-great-for-a-decision-made-in-the-dark

If the MPs of Tasmania have passed a motion against this ship fishing in the waters of Tassie why is it still on its way here,and what about the rest of Australia, is that still fair game and what will Seafish Tasmania,s roll be in all of this.Very interesting scenario me thinks. :huh:

The Federal Govt gonna blame the State Govt of Tasmania and visa/virsa' date='it wouldnt suprise me if the ship is probabbly fishing right now anyway on its way here.[/quote']Pretty sure its coming via the African coast it's already plundered' date=' so probably not "worth" doing :huh: :whistle: :pinch:[/quote']By now i rekon its around WA. maybe even in the bight and it may have already started fishin, would not suprise me . Can it be located atm? :whistle: It was on the west coast of Africa 25 days ago (Ivory Coast) If its not fishing yet its probably locating & assesing the shoals of fish in Federal waters that it wants to target , dont you think?