More news on super trawler!

We are all worrying about this so called super trawler and all the fish it may take and I was just as vocal as the next on this subject' date=' but don't you all think we should be cleaning up our own act first before we start criticizing someone else,s . We all tend to jump on the band wagon and have our two bob,s worth and then turn a blind eye to what our own people and industries do. Just recently some professionals { so it is said} moved into the western side of Gulf St Vincent around Pt Vincent area and took all the Blue swimmer crabs they could catch to a point that the locals are left with nothing, but nothing is being said about that , I suppose that's because their boats are to small to worry about, but the principle is the same regardless who does it, and what about these scallop and prawn boats and the damage they cause to the seabed and the killing of the by catch dragging their nets, we never say anything about them because they acting with in the boundries of the law . I like every one else do not want to see overseas boats fishing here under any circumstances ,but if we are going to be critical of them then we should also be critical of ourselves.[/quote']Khombi.... great write up... i could not agree with you more.My mate has a place over at Stansbury and ever since those Pro were over there they are getting bugger all crabs, he use to go out and get his quota but nowadays all he gets is about half a dozen.Even the caravan park is feeling the pinch from the Pro crabbers in the areas, paying customers are not going back to Stansbury Caravan park because they are not catching crabs.The Government needs to start thinking about who benefits the state more.. Pro Crabbers or the recreational fishers who spend money of petrol, accommodation, bait, food etc..... i know when i take the family away for a weekend over to the Yorkes it cost me in excess of $500 in all the fore-mentioned. I wonder if any of the leader of all political parties have had a question asked of them about what they plan to do if they win the upcoming election....
  • Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

Believe me , you will not see any poly,s getting involved in this argument, maybe {and I am not sticking up for any party } the shooters and fishers party might }, this one is to big a hot potato for any here to handle. Hi Bishy, whats happening over the gulf now is what,s been happening over here for years ,trawlers going up and down the gulf, dragging nets across the sea bed , killing untold amounts of by catch not to mention the amounts of weeds that the fish live in and feed off .But that's not their fault , they are licenced to do that , the government says its ok, its me that says it is not ok for I am also the one that spends money buying fishing bait ,fishing gear petrol to get to a fishing spot, food accomadation and what a waste that is, not many fish around these days, how can there be, it wasn't me that took them all and im sure it wasn't you .One does not have to be a rocket scientist to see whats happening here,but if you point out all these things to a poly all they can say is we will look into it and then throw in to the to hard basket. They banned the use of nets for the rec fishers and rightly so but allowed the pro,s to use them which is totally stupid, the nets used by rec fishers did not have a by catch kill rate like a net dragged behind a boat but no one seems to want to recognize this fact, any how that's my thoughts for the day ,something for all to ponder upon. cheers