More news on super trawler!

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Quotas,quotas quotas,everybody is talking about quotas. Lets just forget about quotas for a minute and think about who is going to catch what and who is going to make all the money out of this.If ther

JUST GREAT to hear that a super trawler is allowed to fish off Australias coastline!Now why should i comply with any Australian fishing regulation , will they have bag limits or size limits the same

Four Corners was very interesting and at the same time very alarming. I have very little faith in AFMA now to do what is in the best interest of sustainable fishing, i have even less faith that it is

Posted Images

sorry mate it was on 5AA tonight about an hour ago. Don't know if you can get transcripts from them.you want to run for parliment as an independent brother.

Ha, narrhhh I got a job that is respected because in my industry we call a spade a spade when people ask us a question.5aa transcripts are available...I may try and source later...thanks!TB

Hey TB are you suggesting that GP are sabotaging this ships right to fish. Isnt this ship sabotaging [ in someway] our own fishing industry by taking massive amounts of food fish that palegic fish live off,will this not have a massive affect on the local industry,and somehow affect you and me and thousands of other fisherpeople on the southern seaboard. I believe that we have to use what ever means that are available to prevent these sort ships coming in here and taking what ever they want, whenever they want.The local fishing industry is well managed and sustainable and it must always remain that way, allowing overseas fishing vessels into our waters will surely have a determental affect on our own fishing industry and therefor it must be stopped,they are not concerned about sustainability, their concern is money, they have proved that in other countrys. One only has to look at what happened in the UK not so long ago when these large ships overfished the waters there and almost wiped out the cod industry and many other species as well. Lets not allow this to happen here. Regards Chris. :(

Hey TB are you suggesting that GP are sabotaging this ships right to fish. Isnt this ship sabotaging [ in someway] our own fishing industry by taking massive amounts of food fish that palegic fish live off' date='will this not have a massive affect on the local industry,and somehow affect you and me and thousands of other fisherpeople on the southern seaboard. I believe that we have to use what ever means that are available to prevent these sort ships coming in here and taking what ever they want, whenever they want.The local fishing industry is well managed and sustainable and it must always remain that way, allowing overseas fishing vessels into our waters will surely have a determental affect on our own fishing industry and therefor it must be stopped,they are not concerned about sustainability, their concern is money, they have proved that in other countrys. One only has to look at what happened in the UK not so long ago when these large ships overfished the waters there and almost wiped out the cod industry and many other species as well. Lets not allow this to happen here. Regards Chris. :([/quote']Would you like someone sabotaging your boat because they don't like where you fish or what you catch?I feel the same way about this ship as most, but if you cannot stop it through legal means that's where it ends for me.TB

Andrew Wadsley, in Comments: A quick look at Seafood Tasmania’s website shows that their Chairman is a past Chairman and Board member of AFMA and current Board member of the Fisheries Research and Development Corporation. There is little independence here between the AFMA, the FRDC and the FV Margiris. This looks like a clear conflict of interest.

Just something I picked up on from a TASSIE website. Regarding the independence of the organisation 'supposed' to be monitoring this ships TAC...if true it leaves plenty to be worried about?TB

But wait, theres more :S :whistle: :pinch: http://www.merriam-webster.com/art/dict/roof.htm

It's on its way...http://www.abc.net.au/news/2012-07-04/super-trawler-leaves-port/4109004?section=tas

This is one case where I'm sad the activists have been arrested Its pretty hard to believe any of the comments made by anyone in connection with it imo :pinch: :whistle:
  • 2 weeks later...

She's definiteley on her way :S Moving down the coast of North Africa :( Approximately N24°05'16.23"W017°06'12.86"(24.0878, -017.1036There's never a good Tidal Wave when you really need one :huh: :evil: Its owners must be pretty confident of getting full approvals etc to send her this far before they are 100% sure :huh: :whistle:

Tried the other day to find out where she was but couldnt find her. Typed in the name in the appropriate name and what sort of vessel she was and all i got was out of range or something like that which i thought was a bit odd considering what sort of site that it is or suposed to be.Maybe ducking for cover and trying to get in without to much fanfare perhaps :angry:

Interesting....Dont get me wrong - although im appalled at the idea of a super trawler at any time I suppose I have to in a way congratulate the company responsible for lol foreward thinking....From what I can see - the company has been trawling the world for a long long time with many smaller boats and has decided rather than using a number of small boats to put all their eggs in one basket and use one huge boat.....And again although this boat seems like a world killer - in a sense it is better than what was happening before....Just for instance imagine they were working 10 boats - thats 10 nets dragging the bottom all at once in different places - decimating the bottom all in different places - this boat will only decimate one track albeit a bit wider - still smaller than the diameter of 10 nets side by side - the bi catch is at least 60% less if not more compared to 10 nets so that saves a helluva lot of fishlife....ok you might say that it has a bigger net so it can catch a lot more fish - but even a small trawler if it has an exceptional shot and over fills its cod end can easily call up a fellow company boat - tie up alongside and transfer fish - nothing is thrown back.....Say a smaller boat finds a huge school of fish - that boat will call all other boats to come and fill up so then you will have 10 nets working an area rather than one....This super trawler holds all its fish and when full will steam home and unload - has fuel to stay out at sea for months - so will not have to pull into ports to unload or refuel and that means less chance of it contaminating our ports and ocean floor with the stuff they chuck overboard....Only a small snippet but I could go on....It is rediculous to think this boat will cause any more damage than a fleet of smaller trawlers - in fact the damage has been getting done for years and just because it is a giant boat it gets a lot of attention....As one poster already stated - really? it doesnt matter anymore anyway - the damage has been done - if trawling and fishing isnt regulated now (properly) - we will soon see a dead ocean and it really doesnt matter if its 10 trawlers working together or one big one - the same outlook is imminent....Although the company is out to make money (as all are) at least there is a token jesture in their thinking to try and do their little bit for the ocean....Well at least its justified in their minds...Really, this overfishing/decimation has been going on for years - these guys have just gotten so blaze' about it now that they dont even care to hide the fact - one big boat will save fuel/ employ less/ and be much easier to manage and catch the same amount of edible fish - so therefore put more cash in the co's pocket - at the end of the day its all about money....lol still - give me a tank / wettie and a makita drill - a few holes in its hull will do the trick! ;)

I, for one will always respect other peoples point of view,but lets not forget what this is all about This is about an overseas trawler coming in to our waters and taking our fish from areas that are supposed to be or will be shown as marine parks,and are off limits to australian fishing boats[be it professionals or otherwise].Whether it is one boat or ten is not the question here,the question is why are overseas trawlers being allowed into Australian waters to take fish in such large numbers and posibly decimate our waters just to be able make huge amounts of profit and then send the catch to othr countries that have already ruined there own fishing grounds through over fishing or pollution. One only has to look at what the Asian countries have done to their own ground and why they now try to fish ours to see what end result will be. The result will be that you and i and the rest of Australia will, in the long term, all be losers one way or another.regards Chris............

I wouldn`t be surprised if there is implicit approval at the higher levels of government in this instance - think a la foreign aid aspects (commercial interests notwithstanding), Oz being a good world citizen, supposedly only 5% of the TAC being allocated to the Margiris, and where the catch is purportedly destined for...Africa needs food, after all... ;)

Thats not nice afishyfish' date=' if she got swamped by tidalwave think of the bloody polution she would leave, haha B)[/quote']True, but to me it's the lesser of two evils.Its probably far easier to clean up an oil slick from 1 ship than to replace thge millions of sea animals destroyed by the ship :pinch: :whistle: ;)

I' date=' for one will always respect other peoples point of view,but lets not forget what this is all about This is about an overseas trawler coming in to our waters and taking our fish from areas that are supposed to be or will be shown as marine parks,and are off limits to australian fishing boats[be it professionals or otherwise'].Whether it is one boat or ten is not the question here,the question is why are overseas trawlers being allowed into Australian waters to take fish in such large numbers and posibly decimate our waters just to be able make huge amounts of profit and then send the catch to othr countries that have already ruined there own fishing grounds through over fishing or pollution. One only has to look at what the Asian countries have done to their own ground and why they now try to fish ours to see what end result will be. The result will be that you and i and the rest of Australia will, in the long term, all be losers one way or another.regards Chris............

Chris, yes thats a very good point that I didnt quite understand till now - I was under the impression that common sense prevailed and the vessel would only be allowed to fish waters that were open to all fishers and fisheries....So in that case it is simply not worth having marine parks - there's no point...As for the boats coming over here - from what i know they have been coming over here for a long time now - its just this super trawler? Seiner? has grabbed a lot of attention....This company has been fishing the world (including australia) with its small boat fleet for years...As for snouts in troughs - yes the pollies have had their noses in the fishing industry for years - I for one know for a fact that a few fishing associations in south australia give the sa government a chrissie bonus every year to keep the constitution written in pencil and subject to change when they need it - it makes for an (above the law) way of life for these multi millionaires...I also know of at least one big pay day for an ex federal attorney general who walked out of an office somewhere in south australia with a large briefcase - this deal is called (getting a bag of prawns)! Basically the payday made a certain industry "untouchable".....A few of the large SA fishing industries are kicking up a stink about the marine parks so it will be interesting to see what happens with that...So far they have gotten everything they wanted so we will either see exemptions for some industries or a complete re-write of where these parks will be in SA....Stay tuned...

Morning Tacklerat and every one else,i am well aware that a lot of these o,seas boats have been coming here for a lot of years taking fish,does anyone out there think they would be doing this if they had not fished out their own waters to a point where it is no longer possible to make a living or catch sufficient fish to feed their own people.Does it realy matter whether it is one large boat or 10 small ones the consequences will be the same if this is allowed to continue. In our country we have strong regulations that govern our local fishing industry and the recreational fishing industies such as you and me,and i am quite sure thata boat of that size could not a afford to come here and work to the quotas set down for local profesionals,the other point i would like to make here is that if this ship is succesful out here you can bet your last dollar that a whole lot of other boats will be lining up to get their share of the action.There is one thing that i cannot fully understand,and maybe i am a bit dumb but if this ship can come here and take all this fish to sell to places like Africa and other food poor countries why in the hell arent our own boats doing it,and keeping the profit here in aust,does that sound unreasonable, is this a stupid question,or is it more pollitical than that. TOO MANY QUESTIONS ,NOT ENOUGH ANSWERS :angry: CHRIS

G,day,as GDK said,1 boat may do a lot less damage than 10,[for the moment] but you mark my words, if this 1 boat is allowed to come here and fish now ,it would a sure thing that it will come back next season and the season after that and so on,and others will follow and then you will start to see fish stocks decline dramatically.We have all heard of it happening overseas and very little is done to prevent until its to late.A good case in point is the seas around England where these super trawlers virtualy fished the cod stocks into oblivion,then there is chile where their fish stocks have been badly depleted,all because of these super trawlers and goverment mismanagement.These polys have to be told in no uncertain terms that the fisher people of australia do not want this to happen here.question no2, where do the polys stand on this issue,i dont know,all we can do is scream out loud and tell them that we are not happy people right now and they have to start listening to the people who put them there,SO EVERYBODY SCREAM OUT LOUD, SIGN PETITIONS AND DO WHATEVER IT TAKES,its no good complaining after the event OK GUYS i will get off my soapbox now and have nice cup of tea good night all and happy THINKING Regards Chris :c :evil: :rain:

http://www.fis-net.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?monthyear=&day=16&id=53842&l=e&special=0&ndb=0The quote from Bob Kearney (!) is interestingDr Bob Kearney, an Emeritus Professor in fisheries management at the University of Canberra and former member of the board of the Australian Fisheries Management Authority (AFMA), says that those statements claiming the Margiris will deplete local fish stocks are completely false, ABC reports."This is a species that's extremely abundant by Australian standards," he said. "I would be really surprised if a catch of 100,000 tonnes did any harm to the species, and even if it did, it would recover very quickly if that catch was reined in."

http://www.fis-net.com/fis/worldnews/worldnews.asp?monthyear=&day=16&id=53842&l=e&special=0&ndb=0The quote from Bob Kearney (!) is interestingDr Bob Kearney' date=' "This is a species that's extremely abundant by Australian standards," he said. "I would be really surprised if a catch of 100,000 tonnes did any harm to the species, and even if it did, it would recover very quickly if that catch was reined in."[/color']

Maybe all the more reason for the ship to want to return :huh::huh::huh: I wonder how abundant the species taken in Chile was before the boat moved through their waters :blink::unsure: :whistle:

Here we go again,I think that a lot of educated persons out there are dodging around the question here,which is, why the hell is the Goverment going to allow an overseas super trawler into our waters to catch thousands of tons of fish and sell them to overseas interests,How can such an educated person such as Dr B Kearney make a statement that says 100.000 tons of fish taken from these waters will recover quickly.Look at what has happened overseas and then try and convince me that this is correct, i think not!!!.All these waters that have been decimated around the world are not recovering quickly because they are still being fished beyond their ability to do so, and this is what will happen here if this goverment allows these types of trawlers to fish here.Unfortunatly,when it comes down to money conservation goes out the window and people in high places dont give a damn. A well known conservationist Dr David Suzuki once said that NOT UNTIL THE LAST TREE IS CUT DOWN AND THE LAST FISH HAS BEEN CAUGHT THAT PEOPLE WILL RELISE YOU CANT EAT MONEY. regards Chris :angry:

Not sure if I idolise Mr Suzuki as much as others seem to. Just a little snippet from wikiPresident of the Canadian Centre for Policy Studies Joseph C. Ben-Ami, citing this statement in his article "Global Warming Charlatan" notes that the foundation's 2005-2006 annual report lists 52 corporations, including Bell Canada, Toyota, IBM, McGraw-Hill Ryerson, Scotia Capital, Warner Bros., Canon and the Bank of Montreal, amongst its 40,000 donors. Other corporate donors include EnCana Corporation, a world leader in natural gas production and oil sands development, and ATCO Gas, Alberta’s principle distributor of natural gas, and OPG which is one of the largest suppliers of electricity in the world operating 5 fossil fuel-burning generation plants and 3 nuclear plants.Tom Brodbeck of Sun Media says on the same issue that "when Suzuki criticizes other scientists for allegedly being funded by oil companies, when he himself receives funding from a natural gas distributor, I think it's a bit hypocritical."Three-quarters of the Foundation's 40,000 supporters have donated less than $500.

It is not a matter of whether you idolise Suzuki or not or any one else for that matter,the point here is that what he says is true,money comes before commonsence and money is motive behind this boat coming here in the first place,if there was no profit to be made they wouldnt come here.And what happens when all the fish have been deleted because of boats like this,who are you going to complain to then,the goverment that let them in???? and where were these so called scientist when they were fishing out the waters of Chilli.Did anyone watch abc landline today,good story on the carp problem in the Muray and how the the MDBCom has cut a lot of funding for the carp irradiction program.By the way the MURRAY DARL BASIN COM is funded by the fed Goverment,so, the fed gov cuts funds to the MDBC who in turn cuts funding to the CARP IRRAD PROG and the whole sorry saga starts all over again,no solution at the moment to the carp problem.I know it sounds like i like to stir the pot a bit,but i just get very concerned about what i see is going on and people in high places who should be standing up and saying something one way or the other are not. Regards Chris.ps good to our mates in TASSIE having a go..... :woohoo:

.Did anyone watch abc landline today' date='good story on the carp problem in the Muray and how the the MDBCom has cut a lot of funding for the carp irradiction program.By the way the MURRAY DARL BASIN COM is funded by the fed Goverment,so, the fed gov cuts funds to the MDBC who in turn cuts funding to the CARP IRRAD PROG and the whole sorry saga starts all over again,no solution at the moment to the carp problem.[/quote']Yep, very unfortunate but it would seem a typically short-sighted view by those who should, as you say, be standing up and taking some leadership on these issues.Bit off topic here, but.........Many many millions spent on re-snagging waterways, re-stocking native species, setting up research projects such as the daughterless carp programme, only to have the rug pulled out from under them by penny pinching beauracrtas, who cant/ wont see the huge benefits to be reaped on completeion of these projects.Oh and and while the're at it, why not slash their funding at a time when the Murray river system is facing a 4000%, yues 4000% increase in carp numbers in some areas :huh: :ohmy: Those fingelings will be reproducing in 2-3 yrs time, which is when the daughterless carp and KHV were due to be ready for implementation :pinch: :whistle: :angry::angry::angry: Like you Khombi, I get really :c when I see how close we can/ could be to having things as they should be :S