Mulloway softplastics?

Been MIA for a while, mostly in Europe for the last month. Came back with a bit of cash so lashed out on a new rod, specifically for targeting mullies. Went to R&A and got a nice berkley venom 4-7kg paired with a daiwa ballistic 3000. Awesome cast and the reel is smooth as.I have taken it out twice now to west lakes, without a result. Flicked around daiwa shoreline shiner and some squidgie slick rigs around in the awesome weather today. Didnt get a sniff but I feel confident ill crack them.Anyways I have a tacklebag full of bream lures but not much in the way of mully stuff. Can anyone recommend some other soft plastics to try, specifically in the clear waters of west lakes?

Try to really think about where you are fishing when selecting plastics.For example, when you are strolling the banks of west lakes or an estuary similar to that, it is probably best to use a fish style lure. (eg squidgy mongrel, fish, slick rig, wriggler). These lures cast well and are great for prospecting because of their inbuilt and characteristic actions. Also, I would suggest that you add some scent to your plastics as this will only better your chances.When fishing in tight, structure-dominated areas, it is probably more effective to implement the use of jerk-style plastics like the Gulp! Jerk shads or the squidgy flick baits. These lures rely upon the angler to impart an action so it is up to you to decide how you choose to present your lure to the fish. By rapidly twitching the rodtip you can make the lure appear like a dying garfish/mullet/ST which in theory should be enough to attract any hungry mullies in the vicinity. At the end of the day, use a variety of natural and unnatural tones because like tuna, bream and many other species, mulloway can be very weary and very picky in terms of what the eat. As brenton said before, it will take a lot of persistence but I guess that's what makes landing that first fish all the more special.Good luck with it. :fishing:

Cheers mate, had 2 flicks since this post. Tried some big squidgy flickbaits and slick rigs. Had something on the shoreline shiner for a second but methinks it was a plucky ST.Missus just gave me some dosh, a trip down the local is in order =) I definitely like the look of the mongrels and ridgebacks, ill pick some up and hopefully post a report with me grinning from ear to ear.

Make no mistake, school mulloway aren't afraid to scavenge! Over summer, we caught the majority of our school mulloway on dead baits, not all, but most. Next we experimented with light bream gear when they were REALLY on, like days where we were hooking 6 fish in a two our sesh. Since they were taking dead baits, no need for a big rod to handle a livie.My mate stu was first to have success light, and a 70-80cm mullie is frightening on 6lb with 2-4kg bream stick :)Well at least for two thunder runs ;) then.the heart slows a bit.Anyway, we started to.try a few soft plastics toward the end of the season and Ugly4life told me about.the slick rigs. I bought some of these and threw them about. In the shallow creeks they worked best (where we would usually use floats). Stu musta got about half dozen and I fouled a couple. But here is the kicker..... Most hits occurred on the lift or just prior, meaning they were basically picking em of the bottom like a dead bait. Now, I recently was chatting with a site member who is an absolute mully gun and uses only SPs.... He actually reported loads of fish just come and monster a plastic off the bottom!!!! Blew me away.really, cos I was thinking we were doin something wrong and just lucky, kind of cheating with our few softplastic mullie captures ;)Anyhow, that's my limited experience, but I can assure you that mulloway eat squidgy slick rigs (cheers ugly4), and it's probably best to work your plastic with long pauses like Breaming.I now have a rod and reel.deliberately set up devoted to this method of fishing and am looking forward to finding another purple patch on the.schoolies (likely next November where I fish) so I can test it out.Im still out there live baiting don't worry, but a photo of a 1m plus mully with a slikrig hanging out its gob would be brilliant and go straight to the pool room (lol if I had one) cheers & good luck buddy, good to have ya back

Make no mistake' date=' school mulloway aren't afraid to scavenge! Stu musta got about half dozen and I fouled a couple. But here is the kicker..... Most hits occurred on the lift or just prior, meaning they were basically picking em of the bottom like a dead bait. Now, I recently was chatting with a site member who is an absolute mully gun and uses only SPs.... He actually reported loads of fish just come and monster a plastic off the bottom!!!! Blew me away.really, cos I was thinking we were doin something wrong and just lucky, kind of cheating with our few softplastic mullie captures ;)[/quote']This would seem to imply the importance of a slow routine which involves sitting the lure on the bottom for a lot of the time...Could this also suggest that jigheads need to be slightly on the heavier side so that the angler definitely knows that they are constantly keeping in contact with the bottom and not just letting the current take their plastic?Good post Jack. :clap:;)

I think it basically comes down to three main things.1. Direct Contact with Lure and Bottom at all times.2. Paddle Tail plastics or anything with an inbuilt action!3. Slow it down with rolls and hops instead of burns and flicks! If you know what I mean :cheer: If I had to choose I am flicking with these:1. 70mm Squidgy fish Silver Fox and Black Gold.2. Squidgy Mongrel Boof Mullet.3. 110mm Squidgy Shad in White Lightning.And for any more information Here is a video you might want to watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtrUmmZHYgCheers as always TT. Tight Lines go smack some Jew!

I think it basically comes down to three main things.1. Direct Contact with Lure and Bottom at all times.2. Paddle Tail plastics or anything with an inbuilt action!3. Slow it down with rolls and hops instead of burns and flicks! If you know what I mean :cheer: If I had to choose I am flicking with these:1. 70mm Squidgy fish Silver Fox and Black Gold.2. Squidgy Mongrel Boof Mullet.3. 110mm Squidgy Shad in White Lightning.And for any more information Here is a video you might want to watch:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mGtrUmmZHYgCheers as always TT. Tight Lines go smack some Jew!

Wonder where u can get a lure with massive action at a slow pace? Hmmmmm...................

A lot of theories being thrown around but it really comes down to the location and the conditions. Its these that dictate what you use. I personally am fishing in small shallow creeks so I go for the lightest jighead I can get which is 1/8 7/0 TT's. However if the tide is running quick which it can do I go up to 1/2 oz. You fish to suit the conditions.Also the style of tail you use makes a difference, paddletails require more weight to get the action working in them. Stick or jerk baits have no action it needs to be imparted by the angler so thats why you can get away with less weight.Really it all comes down to knowing whats going on below the surface and whats needed to get the fish to eat your lure.When it comes to colour I find that I change my mind regularly and the shade I was using a few years ago I now dont even have in my bag. Last years favourite is gone and I have a new colour I go to first so really Im beginning to think its more in the fishos mind than the fish.One last thing I think is the most important thing to get right is correct rigging. You really do need to get them on straight. Even the slightest little kink in the plastic makes a difference so dont cast till you are happy with how it sits on the jighead. If in doubt have a test swim and make sure its swimmimg right.Did I hear someone mention dead sticking......... :whistle: Now for hard bodies :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh: One word suspend ;) cheerssnapps

I love this type of thread, when Mulloway gurus like Jack & snapperhead (+ others) give little insights into some of their successful fishing techniques. :clap::clap: I read it, take it in, and if I get the chance I will test out some of the theories. :fishing: :f The video show a slightly different technique, one that would seem slightly more logical than a Mulloway taking Soft Plastics off the bottom, but from my limited Bream and SP experiences that’s exactly what the Bream do! ;) IMHO it’s what fishing is all about, learning and trying different techniques and then personally nailing a particular fish with a specific technique, but until then it’s just theories, myths and rumours. :whistle: Cheers for the video TT97 and nice fish NickMav. :clap::clap:

Cheers for the video TT97 and nice fish NickMav. :clap::clap:

Thanks mate alawys happy to help. (With my little knowledge when I can!)Really want to be hitting the Schoolies this year, yet to catch a Mully of any size and would love it on a Lure too!TT
[attachment=10934]untitled4_2012-06-20.png[/attachment][attachment=10933]untitled4.png[/attachment]squidgy white lightning victim' date=' last sat night, 102cm, 8.8kg[/quote']Hey buddy, you look like SERPICO in that pic :laugh: great movie Top fish too! :clap: nice one :)