I want to start ballooning out, I,ve herd there is some type of rig you can use with a tennis ball. Does anyone use this rig or just the simple balloon? Whats a good way to tie a balloon rig? Do you use a large glow stick at night? Cheers I want to start ballooning out when I have a good offshore wind surf fishing.

Here is what first came up when I researched balloon rigs. After reading through this I think doing it this way would work pretty well for dead baits too.http://www.gcfishing.com/ballooning.htmPersonally, I have never heard anything about the use of tennis balls but then again, I am definitely not a beach fishing expert. If you are fishing during the daytime, I don't think the use of a glow stick would be a necessity. The balloon itself should be enough of a visual indicator for you.You also asked whether it is wise to use a glow stick when fishing off a beach at night time. I presume you are asking this with the intention of using the glow stick as an indicator? In response, I don't really think that you necessarily need to use one. The reason being that it is just one more thing you need to tie onto your line and its also just one more thing which can potentially tangle up in your rig. (This is obviously quite annoying when fishing at night considering the difficulty it is to untangle in low light conditions). I think that you would be much better off attatching a simple rod bell to the tip of your rod. This way, when a fish takes your bait and swims off with it, you can clearly hear the bell ring instead of having to strain your eyes looking out at a glowstick all night long. Rod bells can be bought for a reasonably cheap price at just about any tackle store. Even places like Big W at Cross Rd have them too.Good luck with it.

• 2 weeks later...

I found out how to tie the rig but it's a bit tricky. You need one of those tennis balls that has a eyelet which elastic threads through it. They are from tennis trainer's. From your main line tie a 3 way swivel to it. Then cut 2 long traces and tie each trace on either end of 3 way swivel . On the end of one trace have your hooks then on the other trace have you tennis ball (float). The benefit of this rig is it's got twice the depth for you bait and you can get a great cast.But I'm yet to try it, the tennis balls are $8 each and I haven't come up with a way to make them myself. Keeping them air tight seems to be the problem.