darwin is on my bucket list.. mate and myself are right into chasing storms.. my camera ia just a 900 buck canon eos1000d digital slr.. mates camera gear is a tad more expensive than that.. just the body alone without lenses cost him 3500.. hes prob got around 10k of camera gear.. but luck plays most part in getting lightning pics.. have been VERY lucky at some of the photos... nothing really comes close to the photo i captured last year though.. was offered 300 bucks for that, but nope.. there is but one, and its a 30 x 20 framed behind glass on my wall.. will post it for the benifit for new members who may not have seen it.. there are other pics in the photography section for those interested.some cracker photos from other people who also like to get out and watch the sky light up.. Posted Image

was the same boyington.. driving, and prob the best bolt ive seen flashed from left to right as far as i could see.. and camera was sitting on the seat next to me.. i was actually heading to port lincoln to chase it, but just that little too far... they got hammered pretty well i heard and seen a few pics from there.. jelous much

I haven't had my DSLR for long but photographing lightning is something that I have no idea about how to do. I have found the 'BULB' setting which enables the shutter to remain open as long as the button is pressed down. I have been told that this setting is the one to use but all I get is overexposed shots that look suspiciously like daylight!

have been VERY lucky at some of the photos... nothing really comes close to the photo i captured last year though.. was offered 300 bucks for that' date=' but nope.. there is but one, and its a 30 x 20 framed behind glass on my wall.. [img']http://i68.photobucket.com/albums/i7/nifty_2006/lightning058.jpg[/img]

That's an impressive photo rocknev. I can definitely see why someone offered you top money for it. I love storms. There's not much better than sitting out on the porch with a hot coffee and a smoke while a howling storm goes through.

boyington,set the camera for M, ( should be a turnie thingie on top) use the roller to put it on bulb ( roller thingo near the shutter button) roll that until it says bulb, but then go back one.. should say 30, keep going back and that number will decrease.. them numbers is the timer... 30 is 30 seconds open, etc etc.. i generally use 15 - 30 seconds, depending on how close the lightning is... push the shutter button, and it will time down the seconds you have selected.. longer the shutter is open the more light it will capture.. ( if there are multibly strikes in that time frame, it will capture them all )MANUAL focus,on a WIDE angle lens.. ( there should be an infinity symbol on the lens, set it to that). if you cant find it, focus in on some lights in the distance.. then pan around to where you think the lightning might be coming from.. a tripod is a must, and i use a remote trigger on a cable, so i dont even touch the camera so lessoning vibrations... ( ebay has them for around 10 bucks )on top, there should be an iso setting.. set that to 100-200... again, depending on how far away it is. look for a button saying WB.. thats the white balance setting.. mine is set on flurescent.. thats how you get the blue/purple ting to it.. im by no means an expert, and havnt even read the book on my camera.. i just play around with it and it seems to work for me.try taking some photos, of the same object at night/day/ morning/ dusk etc etc, and play around with the iso.. the same photo, with different iso will capture a completly differnt result.may i suggest geting a filter for the front of the lens.. i use a uv filter mostly... cheap insurance from accidental scratches on the lens.. if it gets a scratch, its uch cheaper than a new lens.on front of lens, it should have the dimater of the lens.. if its like mine and direct from the shop it will more than likely be a 58mm lens.. thats the size of the filter you need.. just screws onto the lens