Hi guys,I am relatively inexperienced in terms of using HD cameras and underwater technology and so on. However, I need to come into the possession of a high quality HD camera with underwater capabilities for an article I am writing at the moment.As a regular viewer of IFISH, I couldn't help but notice that they tend to use a camera attached to a long pole to get their underwater shots. My questions are: how much do one of those systems cost? is there some sort of other system I should be looking into? Can I get a system for a price of $200-$250 max?Any input would be appreciated because I recognize my ignorance towards this topic.Cheers

Hey mate!

As a regular viewer of IFISH, I couldn't help but notice that they tend to use a camera attached to a long pole to get their underwater shots. My questions are: how much do one of those systems cost? is there some sort of other system I should be looking into?

As regards to what IFISH use that is a Towcam. That will set you back around $2800. So thats off the list!If you want good photos, video and a cheap price I don't think you can look past the Olympus Tough Range and from that the TG - 810 Model! 720p HD Video, 14 Megapixels and completely waterproof.The Lumix Range is also very good but a bit out of the price range.And remember till then I am still happy to shoot for you TT
Hey mate!
As a regular viewer of IFISH' date=' I couldn't help but notice that they tend to use a camera attached to a long pole to get their underwater shots. My questions are: how much do one of those systems cost? is there some sort of other system I should be looking into? [/quote']And remember till then I am still happy to shoot for you TT
Thanks mate. It would be just to have a nice one myself so that when I fish solo I can get sme nice pictures.

Plus remember alternatively you can do what I do!Use your original Camera and put in a housing.Like this http://www.over-board.com.au/waterproof-zoom-lens-camera-case-black.htmlReasons why:1. Much Cheaper!2. Floats when dropped not sink like a Camera.3. Much deeper submergence depths.Just something to think about! TT

Not really an option for me. My current camera is too bad a quality to use for the magazine. I need to upgrade anyway. It's either that or the iPhone... So just buying a cover is not really an option at the moment

Hero 2 is ten mega pixels and a decent sensor and good shutter speed. For the price it's neqr unbeatable. Hardy, has the wproof housing, takes hd video and you can wear it tow it etc.Jimbo has a 1 and 2 and I've seen some of his pics from the hero2 blown up nicely in magazines ;)I would drop him a pm mate he loves these things. They don't have killa color viewfinder playback and that, but I think that's why they can keep them so affordable.I've got a hero 2 on my birthday list unless the taxman is feeling generous in my return :laugh:Good luck with yer article, I recently got one up and it's a good feeling for sure :)

We had an amazing under water fishing camera in our last catalogue. We sold out but we have more arriving early this week.FeaturesScreen switching50 metre camera cableNight VisionDigital LCDRechargeable batteryRunning time approx 7 hours150 degree visual anglePrice $379.00They will go into our Online shop as soon as they arrive.Compleat Angler Wallaroo & Moontawww.compleatanglerwallaroo.com.auwww.compleatanglermoonta.com.au

hi mate. i agree with jack. go pro is the way to go. i have the hero 1 which still has full 1080 hd but the 2 takes better stills. also water proof up to 60m i always take mine out fishing and drop in next to the burley pot. if you get the hero 2 you can also get a wifi for it so you can watch its live footage upto 1 km away but not sure how good that would work under water. you can get so may accessories for it aswell. lcd screen, spare batteries etc. id check out yhe go pro hero 2 for sure. goodluck.

As much as I like the Hero 2, if your trying to get pics in magazines then the wide angle lens can sometimes be a disadvantage. Great for scenery shots but not great for stills of anglers with fish.The 1080P of the hero is sensational, but there are quite a few digital cameras for 300-400 that have great 1080P video.I think SAMBO is spot on the money in that if magazine shots and underwater shots are your goal then I would not choose the go pro.if however you want to film footage of your whole trip and have the option to maybe take a pic or two with wide angle lens, then GOPRO would be for you.I wanted a camera that could do it all, 1080p, underwater, CMOS FOR LOW LIGHT and 14MP. But in the end Im going to drop the underwater still aspect off my wishlist and go for a Fujifilm EXR 770/775. This is a weapon of a camera in that it does everything except underwater shots.http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8817.htmAnother couple of options that are in your price range are the fufifilm XP50 under $200 or XP150 $295.This model will do it all for you!http://www.digitalcamerawarehouse.com.au/prod8801.htm

Seriously, don't look past the Olympus tough series. Great camera for less than $400 (depending on where you shop). Mine is a bit older and has Full underwater pics and video to 10m and shockproof to 3m. It has gone through absolute living hell and is still going. I will post underwater shots from Thailand when I get home tonightCheers

Hey mate!
As a regular viewer of IFISH' date=' I couldn't help but notice that they tend to use a camera attached to a long pole to get their underwater shots. My questions are: how much do one of those systems cost? is there some sort of other system I should be looking into? [/quote']As regards to what IFISH use that is a Towcam. That will set you back around $2800. So thats off the list!If you want good photos, video and a cheap price I don't think you can look past the Olympus Tough Range and from that the TG - 810 Model! 720p HD Video, 14 Megapixels and completely waterproof.The Lumix Range is also very good but a bit out of the price range.And remember till then I am still happy to shoot for you TT
i use the olympus 8010 tough series camera for all my surfing diving with dolphins, sealions tuna and the sharks for work.. greta little bit of kit. plenty of pics and videos on here posted by me via this camera. can get one for 2-300 now i reckon. mines in europe with me currently or id lend it to you for a trial. good luck
  • 3 weeks later...
i use a Panasonic LUMIX DMC-FT1 12MP :) [attachment=10957]Mully10.jpg[/attachment]Sambo
Nice photo' date=' but 650bux[/quote']i think you'll find they are only around $300 for this model ;) Sambo
Was down at Harvey Norman today and the wife was getting a bloody Samsung tablet thingo... She was feeling a bit guilty about getting it, so I took my opportunity and said..."well I'll get a camera then and we'll just say it's an anniversary present to ourselves".... Man im one smoothe dude at times :PSo straight to the cabinet and maaaan it's hard to choose! Then sambos words came to me like obi wan kenobi when Luke was havin a crack at the death star ;)"put em all away" said I. And bought a ft20 Lumix for $284. I'll be taking shots from next Saturday, and knowing me I'll have a few up here shortly whether I get a donut next Saturday session or not :) Cool looking camera and judging by sambos quality pics, im hoping I've got a great little fishing camera now instead of the mobile phone. :) :woohoo: :woohoo: