Daiwa vs Shimano

Thought I would start this topic for the fun of it, as most posts on here end up with it un-intended or not, so what is better? Most people I talk to say Shimano, as they are almost as good quality for sometimes a third of the price. As for me, I am also a Shimano man, which my rod rack certainly screams out! Please give your opinion, and mabye give some examples, like Sienna vs Sweepfire. Why is it you hear that everyone has Sienna's and no one with Sweepfires(me included)? This may become interesting... :whistle: Cheers, Yakman :P

Pfluegers for me in overheads, the bearings in them seem so much smoother than all the others.I've had a Trion for around 6 years Ive retrieved it from the ocean floor twice and lost it in the river once (got it back the day after dragging for it ). Simple to pull down and clean ...It is still casting like a dream. I have three Pfluegers the Trion, Catina and Purist Catina is my Flavourite.7:1 ratio is pretty quick and the drag is a lot smoother.Not a big fan of any Diawa stuff Choice between the Two .... I'd say Shimanos every time. Only 'cause Diawa stuff Ive had in the past didn't treat me right...I just wasnt feeling the love.Oh Yeah ...What U4L said..Love my Ugly Stiks. (Bend right 'round on themselves)Them T curves look really nice too

I have a couple of daiwa reels but mostly shimano as well as a lonely abu baitcaster. For some reason i prefer a shimano for 1000-2500 sized reels but anythin 3000+ i prefer the feel of a daiwa, dont ask me why lol just personal preferance i guess. I am very one eyed when it comes to luring rods tho lol.

I really like both brands BUT i have just ordered a Stella 10000sw. I have also ordered a spare spool for it being a Jigging Master 16000. I'll put 50lb braid on the stella spool and 80lb on the jigging master spool.I did a lot of research between saltiga vs stella and the reason i opted for the stella was because in my opinion based on my research the stella was a proven thoroughbred compared to the new model saltigas.The old model saltigas are awesome and bullet proof however in my opinion the new model saltiga is more about looks and less about bullet proof structural integrity.If i'm chasing 50kg GT's or big kings i want a reel that is bullet proof not pretty to look at.

I think a better comparison would be Siennas V Crossfires. Both good reels for the money. The Sweepfires have 1 + anti rev bearing the crossfires have 3bb +arb.I have a mix of shimanos, plueger, okuma, Penn and daiwa.Have always had shimano for baitrunners, the b series, d eries aren't so good imo but bought a couple of Penn live liners and pretty happy with them for the money, they have excellent drags.

have both brands and both good.i think shimano and daiwa are equals in the highend department.possibly shimano cater better for the budget buyer in the smaller threadlines but as a whole equals depending on budget of coarse.not sure what Nanman's on about saying stellas aren't sexy :laugh::laugh: ,especially with a jm monster spool :laugh: .my personal opinion is shimano when it comes to game reels,especally tiagras,they are solid with bullet proof drag systems,love both though :laugh:

I won't use anything but a spin reel unless I absolutely have to.DAIWA reels from my understanding are totally superior in every way except price.... That's why I buy shimano and Penn, because they seem to cater well to my low end of the market ;) Even the Tierras and Sols are just absolutely magnificent reels that would smash every shimano reel in that price bracket! I've fished with tierras Sols and Luvius and they make the Stradics and that look pedestrian!Siennas and sedonas and saharas and that though are terrific for the money :) Also Penn have there slammers, liveliners and spinfishers that really look after my end of the budget :)

Daiwa spinShimano overheadsand a mixture of Penn thrown in for good measure.Hard to go past Abu for simplicity though as well not that I own one but grew up on them.Rods....I seem to mainly stick to Shimano. Tried some Daiwa rods but just can't go past raiders for value for money. Ian Miller certainly has his finger on the pulse for the average fisherman

They both have to their own better departments over eachother!I think broken down this how it goes. Note: This is only my personal opinion.Light/Bream Spin Reel = Daiwa.Light/Bream Rod = ? + Others.Medium Offshore ie. Snapper Reels = ShimanoMedium Offshore ie. Snapper Rods = Shimano.Surf Rods and Reels = Shimano.Fly Reels and Rods = Not that I would pick either of these Brands but Shimano.Overhead included Baitcaster Reels. = Shimano.Overhead included Baitcaster Rods = Shimano.Game Rods and Reels = Shimano.Jig Rods and Reels/ Popping = Shimano/Daiwa?Lures = Daiwa.Line = Diawa.Accessories = Shimano.Thats just my opinion I love both brands and think that they are the best brands in the world! Personally I think Daiwa will make you look good and give you awesome finesse. But Shimano gives you all grunt!Brands and Gear are only restricted buy what you want to use them for! They are both the Bees Knees!Cheers TT

Daiwa are probably better for finesse fishing applications although light T Curves are not that bad either. I agree with TT though, Shimano offshore rods are probably better.At the end of the day, though, I reckon Shimano is probably better overall. Daiwa can just be too expensive sometimes.

Spin - In the lighter department I prefer shimano and for the heavier stuff I use daiwa.Baitcaster - Have not used these extensively but I bought a zillion and I love how it is set up. Also a breeze to cast and adjust for an idiot ;)Overhead - Own a tld25 but haven't ever used anything else. Eventually I'll grab a tiagra 50w though, built tough and have great reviews.

shimano? never heard of it :whistle: . Most of my reels are small med size spin. All daiwa. I have had no trouble with any of them . I feel you get what you pay for and my reels get well used and most of them are as smooth as the day they were first used.rods I also own majority daiwa rods. I can not go passed my 10-14lb sol rod for snapper.

I own 6 shimano rods, 1 daiwa rod, 2 ugly stiks, 2 old school Jarvis walker graphites, 1 Wilson, 2 penn and a lone ABU. My reels consist of 2 penn, 5 Okuma, 2 daiwa, 7 shimano. Have only just cottoned on to the daiwas myself, but am liking. Still, the lifetime warranty of the Okuma is hard to beatHave just been given 2 exclusive Okuma rods to test out over the next few months. Think the daiwas will be going on them.

I own 6 shimano rods' date=' 1 daiwa rod, 2 ugly stiks, 2 old school Jarvis walker graphites, 1 Wilson, 2 penn and a lone ABU. My reels consist of 2 penn, 5 Okuma, 2 daiwa, 7 shimano. Have only just cottoned on to the daiwas myself, but am liking. Still, the lifetime warranty of the Okuma is hard to beatHave just been given 2 exclusive Okuma rods to test out over the next few months. Think the daiwas will be going on them.[/quote']Now add to that a berkley surf rod and another shimano

Okuma and Shimano for my reels. My 3 Vsystems are bullet proof, 4 small epix baitrunners as well. Cant go past the real baitrunner my 4500's and 6500 shimanos. i have a 3 diawa CY's in varying size from 2500 to 4000 and they arent bad for the coin.In terms of rods the calstar and rodworks are first choice for 9 foot plus, then the tcurve and raider series for me, dont forget the old Penn Sports Series. i have a 1 piece team diawa tierra 10-20lb that i dont like (will sell if anyone is interested). Shimanos service back up on spares is amazingly quick from my local store.in short Shimano because i trust it.

I have Pflueger trion with a 1500 shimano sedona, shimano sonic pro with a 4000 shimano seienna and sometimes put my 6000 Pflueger Lithium on it if im getting busted off. ive got a bunch of old okuma and jarvis walker reels that i dont use anymore but the okuma's keep on going. im more of a Shimano man myself but only cos ive never used Daiwa, am looking at a Daiwa Tdt rod tho.

• 3 weeks later...

I don’t really think there is a winner between the two as they both have various price ranges and quality’s to offer different budgets. Every time i look for a new reel both the shimano and diawa’s seem to have a high price tag compared to other brands.If i was looking for a reel i’d be looking at okuma as i have had a few and they seem to be alright for the money.But are people spending too much time looking at their tackle instead of spending time out fishing.