I have so far only used Fireline, Power Pro and other 'Generic Braids.'Personally I have found for overall performance Power Pro to be the best.Some may think it is thicker than other brands which it is but I believe this is what makes it so robust and abrasion resistant.I would like though down the track want to try Sunline, or Saltiga Braid etc.Cheers TT

Love Power Pro. Running 3lb on my light outfit and 8lb on my baitcaster. Only issue I get is a lot of line twist when chucking plastics around but it's not much of an issue.Other brands - Fireline Original: Not a fan anymore. Not as good a quality as others. Too prone to wind knots and degrades quickly.Stren Microfuse: Favorite braid. Been using 2lb for everything from decent salmon, bream and macks right down to little tommies. Simply the best I have found for tying knots and have never had a serious wind knot with this stuff yet. A lot of friends use the heavier stuff on the Snapper.Nanofil (technically a uni-filament line): This stuff has the potential to be good, but the lighter stuff is just simply too thin. Was using the 2lb for a while but it's almost impossible to tie knots that hold. Forget trying to do a double-uni or an albright with this stuff. Heavier might be better, haven't tried it.

I like Power Pro, never had any issues, it was actually first made to be high performance kite string. My favourite would have to be Cortland Spectron or the newer Master Braid, way more abrasion resistance then Power Pro but difficult to source outside the US. I definitely prefer the spectra based braids from the US manufacturers compared to the dyneema stuff from Japan and elsewhere. I do have original Fireline on several of my threadline reels and I've never had problems with that either, it does fade and fuzz up quickly though, will probably switch to proper braid on all my setups when I've depleted my Fireline supply.

well based on all this i might as well stick to the power pro. what does everyone know about fins? ifish raves about it but obviously they sponser him so he would say good things' date=' anyone used it? and also, what breaking strain does power pro make up to? i want to spool my new reel with 60lb if i can...[/quote']Power Pro goes right up to 100lb.And as for Fins. I haven't used it but have heard it Wind Knots alot and has poor peformance.Just what I have heard TT

Support the only Aussie line manufacturer and get Platypus Super Braid.2 - 200lb in colours green or Bright Yellow.If you looking for a thin braid use the pretest braid that has now come out

Haven't seen that yet weaver but I might have to give it at try. Platypus make good stuff. All my outfits with mono on them (all two of them, lol) have pretest and it's good stuff.

Fins is ok, I use it on my light tackle, used it for the last 12mths, hasnt twisted up yet, caught plenty of fish with it to B) I dont like braid, Wont be buying it again in a hurry, tangles up way to easy, cuts and burns ya fingers messy crap, Thats my opinionRather just use a good quality old mono line, used it for the last 30yrs so why change something good

I use Power Pro in 15lb' date=' 30lb and 40lb. Only braid i've used as i got it cheap. Got a free spool of 300mt 30lb Rovex Airstrike with a my Slammer reel so might give that a go on another reel.Anyone used the Air Strike? SmokeyKebab?[/quote']If I could afford it, I would have Sunline Super PE on everything! Very very smooth stuff, ties beautifully without memory, and casts a country mile. I've been fortunate enough to use mates combos and get a feel for quality gear with different braids. Sunline PE is wonderful stuff in my opinion. I buy fireline almost exclusively because it works and is cheap. I have purchased some Airstrike in 30lb and found it doesn't hold.up to well. My uni knot cut into the braid and then I had like a sheath of braid that moved up (bunched up) over the the non cut braid underneath. Hope that makes sense :silly: was a bit disappointed... But we shall see how it goes, hopefully that doesn't happen again, and see how I.go with a fish on! Likely I shall respool with good old cheap as chips gelspun fireline ;)

great topic wishing2bfishing and thanx to all the respondants for the info, but here is the "BUT".I have never bought/used braid, being that we only fish local inshore for table fish.Is braid something I should be throwing money at as most of the time the only thing on our lines are sinkers, hooks, bait and weed. :boot:

I mainly surf fish, rockfish,and coarse fish using float tackle so braid offers me little.With all the brands out there ,must be some pretty decent stuff around these days. B) I use fireline for light lure or unweighted bait work,but to be honest getting sick of it,interested in this thread as maybe some real nice stuff would be enjoyable to use.I would like some braid in a bright orange or similar so easily visible,as i feel when casting light plastics or unweighted baits [with leader] watching what the line is doing is a very important indication of whats going on at the business end.Cheers B)

great topic wishing2bfishing and thanx to all the respondants for the info' date=' but here is the "BUT".I have never bought/used braid, being that we only fish local inshore for table fish.Is braid something I should be throwing money at as most of the time the only thing on our lines are sinkers, hooks, bait and weed. :boot:[/quote']in your case PS probably not.... all my bait fishing applications are used with mono... i use suffix branded mono... i feel if you get tangles or keep getting snagged and what not you will start losing line quickly, and in that situation mono is alot cheaper to replace and it has alot more give aswell... only use braid on my lure gear...
great topic wishing2bfishing and thanx to all the respondants for the info' date=' but here is the "BUT".I have never bought/used braid, being that we only fish local inshore for table fish.Is braid something I should be throwing money at as most of the time the only thing on our lines are sinkers, hooks, bait and weed. :boot:[/quote']I suggest you get onto to ebay and get your self some braid mate. Its cheap and works fine for us common folk. You will notice that you will instantly feel every little bite you get due to the lack of stretch. As long as your using reels worth at least $20 you wont have any issues with tangles. You wont look back. I cant see why you would use mono except for game fishing and want the stretch as a buffer.OP:This has been covered plenty of times, so a suggest a quick search for more opinions.In my rack, I have genuine Power Pro, fake Power Pro, no name ebay, and Fins. The "worse" stuff is ironically the most expensive Fins. Its on my abu 6500 and just digs in the spool like a b$%tch!!! Still use it over mono tho :)
I use Power Pro in 15lb' date=' 30lb and 40lb. Only braid i've used as i got it cheap. Got a free spool of 300mt 30lb Rovex Airstrike with a my Slammer reel so might give that a go on another reel.Anyone used the Air Strike? SmokeyKebab?[/quote']sure have boss. loaded up marado bf2000 with 20lb airstrike. colour was green now its silver/grey after a few trips to the lake and port. very strong line breaks at well above 20lb thats for sure and thin, cuts thru skin too easily. could explain the reasons why you get it free with a lot of the penn and fin nor reels. i run fins on my light stuff 4lb for sps to 20lb for throwing big metals. i use my 4lb a lot daily and only recently got a few wind knots after 12 months of constant use. no negative issues about fins from me.also use tuff line xp on my heavy gear its a lot thicker then the rest of the braids but doesn't knot up easily or fade in colour that quickly. well worth it for the price.
I use Power Pro in 15lb' date=' 30lb and 40lb. Only braid i've used as i got it cheap. Got a free spool of 300mt 30lb Rovex Airstrike with a my Slammer reel so might give that a go on another reel.Anyone used the Air Strike? SmokeyKebab?[/quote']If I could afford it' date=' I would have Sunline Super PE on everything! Very very smooth stuff, ties beautifully without memory, and casts a country mile. I've been fortunate enough to use mates combos and get a feel for quality gear with different braids. Sunline PE is wonderful stuff in my opinion. I buy fireline almost exclusively because it works and is cheap. I have purchased some Airstrike in 30lb and found it doesn't hold.up to well. My uni knot cut into the braid and then I had like a sheath of braid that moved up (bunched up) over the the non cut braid underneath. Hope that makes sense :silly: was a bit disappointed... But we shall see how it goes, hopefully that doesn't happen again, and see how I.go with a fish on! Likely I shall respool with good old cheap as chips gelspun fireline ;)[/quote']Sunline super PE really isnt much more expensive than fireline mate, thats why i made the switch. Realised that i could get a 150 metre spool of super PE for only about 5-8 bucks more than a 125 yard spool of fireline. When buying bigger amounts the sunline actually works out cheaper as you get a 300 metre spool for 60 bucks when 300 yards of fireline is pretty much the same price. Super PE lasts way longer too i have found throwing lures at least once if not twice a week the lifespan is nearly twice as long as fireline. Found that the fireline lost its colour and went fluffy after only a couple of months. Have tried so many braids over last few years and wasnt really happy with any of them until i started using sunline and now all of my lureing outfits are spooled with it(except baitcasters) and have been for the last 2 or so years and dont really see myself changing anytime soon.

Ive tried most brands and currently have sunline super PE on one reel no issues works well ties good knots, Daiwa sensor on another but when I recently purchased a Daiwa Feugo online Chuck showed me some braid he had found on ebay. He had been using it for a month or so while fishing with me and had no issues at all. I decided to give it a go and Ive got to say that its work brilliantly catching me plenty of snapper and mullies around the metre mark. Best of all a 300 mt spool of 20lb cost me $13.00 delivered to my door yes thats the right price. This line has completely change my mind about braid and I think a lot of us are paying through the nose to have brand names on our reels. To my eyes this stuff looks exactly the same as the sunline Im using and performs much the same. Actually I swear that if you werent told you would think you were using top of the line braid. I know what I'll be getting next when buying new line.For the record Chuck purchased several spools of different strengths and all has worked well. Even the light line he uses on his bream outfits.cheerssnapps