Thanks for the interest guys, it is an odd story but worth the reading.Myself and two other guys were driving around to Denial Bay jetty from Ceduna to try a spot of fishing. On the way there we passed a small beach where a local had told us is a good calm spot to swim. We decided to pop in for a quick look. As we were parked on the sand my mate spotted a set of fins swimming around chasing schools of bait. At this stage we think it is a shark but I bailed out of the car to grab a rod with my mates asking "are you going to try and catch it" "hell yes" was the reply.As we were going to fish of a jetty we had a lot of small rods with us and the only surf rod in the car was a Shimano collapsing rod, but I did have a Daiwa emcast with 20 pound braid to put on it. So I set the rig up, tied a soft plastic on and started the chase.I could not get a cast out far enough to entice it and every time I tried to walk out towards it it just moved further out of range. This went on for some time until it got further up the beach where a local fellow had been swimming with his kid and dog. He spotted the fins as well and ran to this car to grab his rod because he had seen the fish earlier in the afternoon. He had a bait rigged up and got a cast in front of the fish only to have his line snap the second he hooked up. He said it was old line but I had no hope that my 20pound leader would fare much better.Not that it mattered because the fish had been spooked and went out to deeper water and we lost sight of it. As we walked back to the car I was kicking myself for not tying a metal lurer on because it would have got better distance in the cast. Being a person not to give in straight away I did tie a 40g metal on "just in case" before packing the rig down. We decided to drive up the beach to another exit and was scanning the water at the same time. Well it happened, there it was further up the beach but closer to the shore. Well out I bailed and was into it. On about the 3rd cast it was "FISH ON". I had a good hook up but was concerned with the line so took it nice and easy. Not that he helped doing figure 8s and causing me to wined the hell out of the emcast to keep the line tight. As he cruised along the beach my 2 mates said they would get outside him to spook it towards the shore better. (with knives in hand)they did just that. Well this turned out to be a good move as they were able to identify it as a tuna and not a shark as first thought. Well the call was "grab it by the tail and drag it in then" "no the fins aren't sharp" High fives and slaps on the back all round as it was landed. The locals all called us liars until they saw the video footage with Thevenard in the back ground. That shut them up and gave us braggin rights for quite some time.Thanks for reading the story and sorry it is a bit long winded but it is hard to convey a huge smile in words. [attachment]2012-01-16 18.56.57.jpg[/attachment]

The locals all called us liars until they saw the video footage with Thevenard in the back ground. That shut them up and gave us braggin rights for quite some time.Thanks for reading the story and sorry it is a bit long winded but it is hard to convey a huge smile in words. [attachment]2012-01-16 18.56.57.jpg[/attachment]

I reckon the locals should have been buying you drinks at the bar :clap::clap: Definiteley worth a read Bates; Well done B)
  • 2 weeks later...